SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Rodney Howard-Brown movement early 1990s

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
a-servant

Re:

Thanks Renoncer, good report.

you're right about sensuality, and how to spot it. It's difficult to see or 'feel' the difference when you have nothing to compare it with. Or as Jude 1:19  says: These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.

In that respect some people that came out of the hippie movement did get their counterfeit 'spirit' experience already in sensuality, as most psycho substances make a person sensual. While they talk about euphoria and spiritual trips that certainly make you feel "holy" for a while. And sensual to no end. Others without that warning and experience walked right into 'spiritual encounters' in 'revival' movements that are based on the same principles as drugs, however just as purely sensual and not Holy Spirit like. Something people like to forget when the're on 'a high' : The Holy Spirit makes one holy, what is the opposite of getting under the buzz effect of mesmerism.

What reminds me of: "How could anybody pull this off if it wasn't real?"

You would be surprised what "miracles" you see and hear about travelling in Asia, for a detailed explanation read an online copy of "The Latent Power of the soul" by Watchman Nee.

It'sdifficult to impress some Asians with signs & wonders, they have seen it all before. Some call it magic some call it nirwana. Most things that westerns think of as being spiritual are just crafty fakes in the flesh. Nevertheless they are real, and the Holy Spirit has no part in it.

2011/9/29 4:28Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, iknow without asking that he sho nuf believed his experience was real and other friends do also. i was not afraid endzone because i ministered with men of God and have seen many great miracles in my day. len ravenhill once told me before all this started that when the Lord shows up you will be like John on the isle.you will fall at His feet as if dead as the prophet did in Is.6. you will feel the awe that john the baptizer felt in luke 3:16. It is about Him and not about us. i also recognize that different people react differantly to a move of the Holy Spirit:weeping dancing shouting clapping.but still decent and in order.there is a fine line.it did not witness in the beginning or after i gave it a few months in my spirit.jimp new orleans go saints

2011/9/29 4:51Profile

Re:

Endzone, you write......

"You and I will just have to disagree about what spirit was behind it."

"Please don't let it bother you if I believe it was from the Lord. Fair enough?"

I can certainly agree to that brother. It does not bother me in the sense of agitation :) I have a shepherds heart and when I see the wolves encircling the sheep, I tend to run to it. Lets pray for each other and let the Lord lead us and guide us in all things. I love you brother and I will be praying for you ( take that in a positive way:) ..........brother Frank

2011/9/29 9:24
Pandarus

Queensland, Australia

Re:

How can people still possible believe that this Holy Ghost Bartender rubbish has anything at all to do with God!?

Where's the discernment?

2011/9/29 21:35Profile

Re:

Nevermind.

2011/9/30 0:01

Re:

Quote:
How can people still possible believe that this Holy Ghost Bartender rubbish has anything at all to do with God!?

Where's the discernment?

Welcome to the last days my friend.

2011/9/30 0:30

Re:

Quote:
Well, as I said before, it was like a river of water flowing inside my body from head to toe. I understand now somewhat what "living water" is. It was a very euphoric feeling, but it was also very holy.

This is not what Jesus meant by "living water".

Jesus uses the phrase "living water" two times. The first time was during his encounter with the woman at the well in John 4. The second time was in John 7 in the temple when He told the people "If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'"

Jesus was referring to the Holy Spirit who dwells in believers and seals them for salvation (Ephesians 1:13–14). It is the ministry of the Holy Spirit, flowing out of a heart redeemed and regenerated by God, that brings life and joy to the believers life, and thus becomes a light to the world.

He was not referring to some kind of feeling or goosebump experience. While we do experience joy, it is a lasting permanent joy... not a rush we get at a church service.

Thats one thing that irks me about these "experience-centered" movements. They take phrases from the Bible... completely out of context... and then make them mean something else.

A simple exegete of scripture is usually all it takes to correct the error, but no one either knows how to exegete scripture... or no one cares to be bothered.

Krispy

2011/9/30 12:52

Re:

KK it is ridiculous to say that because some experience that happened in the 20th centry isn't described in the Bible, that it can't really be God. For instance the guy that was driving down the road and going to have a head on collision with another car, but either an angel or the Lord Himself lifted the car above the oncoming car to avoid the collision. Well, that isn't in the Bible is it? So, using your logic it can't possibly be God! What about the others millions of miracles the Lord has probably done for people in the 20th century? Using your logic you could say miracles can't happen that involve anything to do with cars because they didn't have cars in the Bible and Jesus never did a miracle that involved moving a car one way or the other or warning a driver that a collision was about to happen and he should slow down.

There are the religous people on this site and there are the real people on this site. This site attracts a huge amount of religious people for some reason.

2011/9/30 14:01
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

I attended a RHB meeting at a hotel ballroom with a youth group that I attended while a teenager. The heresy of what was said (and unsaid but implied) was unbelievable.

Browne shared two verses (misinterpretations about spiritual drunkenness) and then proclaimed that people would get drunk in that meeting (talk about "peer pressure" and coercion). Someone actually sang a Frank Sinatra song ("New York New York") during the meeting and people were acting like they were drunk while it was sung. I felt like running out of that hall screaming, "Ichabod!"

While we were there, Mr. Browne stated that he was going to pray for each person until they became "drunk in the spirit" (with a physical manifestation that resembled being "drunk"). So, he walked around the room and would find someone and literally wait there silently "praying for them" with his eyes open (more like making "funny" faces) until they started to act like they were drunk. If they didn't get "drunk," he would say that they were "fighting the Holy Ghost." So, naturally, quite a few eager or embarrassed people were soon rolling on the floor.

The "star" of that particular meeting was a troubled teenager from our church. He put on the loudest and funniest display of "drunkenness" and became the focus of Rodney Howard Brown. Brown supposedly spoke "prophetic words" over this young man who was rolling on the floor, laughing uncontrollably, and screaming "DUDE!" over and over again.

Rodney Howard Browne proclaimed to the congregation that this young man as being "filled with the Spirit BEFORE he arrived" and said that was why he was "overflowing" now when he received Brown's "anointing" (he literally called it "his" anointing). He gave strange words to the youth (speaking for God) and saying that the young man had proven that he was a "leader in the Army of God."

Little did Rodney Howard Browne realize that those of us from the church were aware of this young man's lifestyle. He was a bully to other teenagers and had a very foul and sexually explicit mouth. In the van on the way to the meeting, he was making sexually explicit jokes about one of the very godly teenagers in the youth group. After the meeting and this display of "drunkenness in the spirit," this young man acted like nothing had happened. He was still making fun of others, using explicit language and making fun of those people who he didn't like.

Now, this young man was certainly a "leader" -- but I would hardly say of the "Army of God." Sure, he was active in the church...and had some people thinking that he was a wonderful guy. However, there was a bit of division in the youth group between "spiritual" and "unspiritual" teens. The unspiritual teens (for a lack of a better term) were busy with church activities, but they were very worldly.

The entire experience was extremely disturbing. It was a pointless display of coercion by a man who didn't share anything meaningful in the meeting. Two verses were shared (misinterpreted and out of context). Secular music was played. No lives were truly changed.

Interestingly, we had to walk through a lobby that had a large open bar. The people there were drinking, but they weren't putting on wild, public displays of inebriation. In addition, they simply rolled their eyes at the meeting going on inside (the doors were open) and you could hear some of them comment about it being a "cult."

I looked him up online, and I found this:

http://tinyurl.com/rhbrowne

What a waste of time! We are at a crucial time in the history of this world...when people are dying in sin by the BILLIONS...and people want to follow this sort of meaningless drivel? "Ichabad" is right!

2011/9/30 14:16Profile

Re:

Quote:
KK it is ridiculous to say that because some experience that happened in the 20th centry isn't described in the Bible, that it can't really be God. For instance the guy that was driving down the road and going to have a head on collision with another car, but either an angel or the Lord Himself lifted the car above the oncoming car to avoid the collision. Well, that isn't in the Bible is it? So, using your logic it can't possibly be God! What about the others millions of miracles the Lord has probably done for people in the 20th century? Using your logic you could say miracles can't happen that involve anything to do with cars because they didn't have cars in the Bible and Jesus never did a miracle that involved moving a car one way or the other or warning a driver that a collision was about to happen and he should slow down.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Quote:
There are the religous people on this site and there are the real people on this site. This site attracts a huge amount of religious people for some reason.

So because I dont agree with you on something then you resort to name calling and false accusations? Why?

Everyone who doesnt agree with you is "religious"?

If you're going to discuss, and even debate things with other people please learn to discuss and debate. Trying to manipulate people with name calling and accusations shows that you can't articulate for us WHY what these revivals are bringing to the table are scriptural.

Try doing that instead of calling people who challenge you "religious" or "pharisees". It's getting boring and old.

Krispy

2011/9/30 14:22

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy