SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Rodney Howard-Brown movement early 1990s

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I am going to share my experience with the Rodney Howard Browne thing. I spent 6 straight weeks in his services when it was in Lakeland at Carpenters home church. I was with my cousin and another friend.

Personally, I didn't receive anything from the services, No laughter whatsoever. I did have people tell me I need to yeild to get the laughter. Really?

My cousin was the total opposite. She was 15 years old at the time. Her situation actually started when we sat in the 3rd row during one ocasion. She went into a trancelike state and she went through this convulsions where she would get very hot and stiffen up for about a good minute and then her body would cool down and she would go limp. Here eyes were closed. This went on for 30 minutes or so.

On the other ocassions what would happen to her is she would fall on the floor and roll like tumbleweed. She roll all over the church a number of times. Several times I had to get in her way and allow her to roll into my arms so I could get going home for work the next day. I was told not to stop the work of the SPIRIT to which I responded by saying ' Would you like to take her home?" No reponse.

Now, a crucial aspect of this for me was the aftermath. In a 'revival' like this one would think that the 'power' demonstrated would be a life changer for those affected to any degree. For my cousin, here is what happened to her life after all of this.

She got a boyfriend and got pregnant and had 3 kids. Eventually got married to this guy and divorced. He got her into drugs.

She eventually remarried but then got back into drugs again and was separated from her 2nd husband for a while.

Recently her son, who was 12, was hit by a car and killed while visiting his real dad in GA. a few weeks after this she and her ex apparently had an affair and partly while her husband had a heart attack.

Currently she is back with her ex husband. She did go to church for a little while and she still believes in Jesus but in my opinion, the change of life that I would think that would be demonstrated from services like Rodney's is a no show in her life.

I do not recommend Rodney to anyone.

2011/9/28 15:25Profile
givensdj

Re:

Endzone,

I completely agree with EverestoSama about looking into some sermons by Jacob Prasch on this movement.

But even more so I urge you to pray and fast so that the Lord may speak to you on the subject. He alone can have an absolutely unbiased opinion. Yes, it is good that you have sought out advice from your other brothers in the faith, and I believe this site is one of the best places to do that, but more than anything your focus should be to seek discernment from the Lord.

James 1:5 says "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him." (ESV)

So brother if you are truly seeking discernment on this issue, as to whether or not RHB was truly sent by God, then I believe that the best source to go to would be God himself to seek this answer. If a man believes something to be true (as it seems you believe about this movement) then no man's opinion will reveal to you that it is false. The Holy Spirit must be the one to enlighten you to whether this movement was false or valid.

I truly hope that you consider what I have said Endzone as this is so important an issue that we, true believers, face in America today. False gospels are springing up every where one looks, and if we have not sought the Lord for discernment then we will easily be decieved.

Mathew 24:24 says this, "For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect." (ESV)

Seek the Lord for wisdom on this issue, and He will answer you if you truely desire an answer.

God bless you brother, and may He open your eyes to truth of this situation.

2011/9/28 16:00Profile

Re:

How tragic, DEADn. That breaks my heart.

The problem is your cousin was never regenerated by the hand of God. All of those "manifestations"... but missed the important part. That's the problem with these so-called "revivals".

The revivals of the past revolved sound Biblical teaching and SALVATION... actual regeneration! Conviction of SIN.

Today's revivals are all about "me"... gimme more more! I want more!

What many are getting are devils.

What got me out of that mess was reading the Word of God and studying and sound teaching and preaching.

Krispy

2011/9/28 16:04

Re:

Another tragic aspect of these so called movements, and I believe that this was the primary purpose of the enemy in the first place, was that many conservative pentecostal churches " threw out the baby with the bathwater," so to speak. They were so paranoid about these weird manifestations that they shut down the " freedom,' of the Holy Spirit to move. And people who were biased against the genuine gifts of the Holy Spirit were only bolstered in there error as they witnessed the chaos of these so called movements. ..........brother Frank

2011/9/28 16:24

Re:

I would agree with that... thats a good observation, frank.

Krispy

2011/9/28 16:29
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I agree Frank. When I step back from it all, IMO the pentecostal church seems to be the only church that allows for demonstration of the Spirit but that can come with a price. Get out of the pentecostal church and people don't necessarily think healing exists today or prophesying and so forth. I have stepped back from the pentecostal church myself but that is because of my experience and I would rather be grounded first then to experience all this stuff and go with it without discernment.

2011/9/28 16:51Profile

Re:

Quote:
I actually met RHB and was in a church that had him come for a series of meetings back in the day.

I dont know where RHB is today, but I can safely say that what he was teaching back then was false doctrine through and through. At least back then he was a false teacher, and no, I disagree that what he was doing had anything to do with the Holy Spirit even though I was convinced back then that it did.

The reason I was there back in the day was because I was immature, ignorant of the Bible... and very deceived.

Like I said, I have no idea where or what RHB is doing or at these days. I truly hope he has repented of his former foolishness.

Reinhart Bonnke... dont get me started on this guy. He claims to have raised people from the dead... but apparently they wander off or something afterwards because he has never been able to produce one person who he raised from the dead. Pretty easy to get lost in those remote African locations... which is conveniently where these resurrections always seem to take place. It's never in Chicago or Kansas.

Sorry, you voiced your thoughts on the matter. These are mine, brother EndZone.

Krispy

So, did you go stand in line to get "filled" at the end of the service? Did you go down? Did you just stand there? Did you just stay in your seat?

2011/9/28 17:47

Re:

Brother Frank I did hear about that Toronto thing. I think you are saying RHB was just a small part of it? As far as people howing like dogs and swimming around on the ground like snakes, those are symptoms of people getting delivered from demons. I sure don't believe they are manifestations of the Holy Spirit.

I'd like to ask you the same thing I did KK. Did you stand in line for RHB to do the "filling" at the end of the service? Is so, what was your experience? Or did you just dismiss it outright?

Blessings to you,
EZ

2011/9/28 17:52

Re:

DEADn, that story would be funny if it wasn't so sad. So sorry to hear about your cousin's son being killed at such a young age. So sad, and so sad to hear when young people are taken from us so very early. I want every teen to grow and mature and be whole in the Lord Jesus Christ. Sad story about your cousin too.

If you weren't getting anything out of the RHB meeting though, why did you go for 6 weeks? And BTW, I don't think what happened to your cousin was the working of the Holy Spirit.

2011/9/28 17:57

Re:

Quote:
Endzone,

I completely agree with EverestoSama about looking into some sermons by Jacob Prasch on this movement.

But even more so I urge you to pray and fast so that the Lord may speak to you on the subject. He alone can have an absolutely unbiased opinion. Yes, it is good that you have sought out advice from your other brothers in the faith, and I believe this site is one of the best places to do that, but more than anything your focus should be to seek discernment from the Lord.

James 1:5 says "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him." (ESV)

So brother if you are truly seeking discernment on this issue, as to whether or not RHB was truly sent by God, then I believe that the best source to go to would be God himself to seek this answer. If a man believes something to be true (as it seems you believe about this movement) then no man's opinion will reveal to you that it is false. The Holy Spirit must be the one to enlighten you to whether this movement was false or valid.

I truly hope that you consider what I have said Endzone as this is so important an issue that we, true believers, face in America today. False gospels are springing up every where one looks, and if we have not sought the Lord for discernment then we will easily be decieved.

Mathew 24:24 says this, "For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect." (ESV)

Seek the Lord for wisdom on this issue, and He will answer you if you truely desire an answer.

God bless you brother, and may He open your eyes to truth of this situation.

givensdj, I just respectuflly disagree with you interpretation of RHB's ministry. The problem I have is that due to the sinful addiction I had in my life, no one will believe that I was lead by the Holy Spirit. I guess even after reading my testimony, people wont believe it.

I'll ask you the same question I asked KK and DEADn. Did you go to one of RHB's meetings and stand in line to get the "filling" or anointing or joy or whatever you want to call it? Were you too afraid to? Did you think that if you didn't get it, you would think you were as "spiritual" as everybody else? I'll tell you this, I would have been one of the guys just standing in line, it wouldn't of happened to me. RHB had to work with me a little bit. He always prayed for all the catchers at the very end of the service. We got some extra attention.

But again, given my history, people don't think I could of had the strong presence of the Lord in my life and the Holy Spirit. But people don't understand how much time I spent in prayer and much I sought the Lord in my life.

2011/9/28 18:02

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy