SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A challenge to young men

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
WillJonesIII

A challenge to young men

To young men who are serious about loving your wife as Christ loved the church, and raising you children in a godly manner for His glory--- If you are not spending hours in prayer each week, and fasting regularly right now, you will not magically begin doing it for your children and wife once you get married. I am not necessarily saying that you should be praying for your future spouse and children now, (though you may do so) but there are many things in God’s kingdom that you can right now give hours of prayer to. It is now that you will develop your prayer and fasting habits. Don’t wait till your married, and then your marriage gets difficult or your children start to go off the deep end, then start crying out to the Lord for help. Right now establish a habit in your life of prayer and fasting for people and situations. Then when you have a family, you will already have those habits and you can transfer them to your family.

By the way, you are not going to get any more time when you’re married either. If you say you don’t have enough time now to spend hours of prayer before the Lord, don’t get married. Cause you’re not going to get anymore time. It’s not just a matter of chance if your children follow the Lord. They will follow your example and God will work in their lives according to your calling out to Him in prayer and fasting on their behalf. If Jesus, the Son of God, found it necessary to cry out to God continually in prayer, and rise early in the morning to pray, how much more do we need to do so! Think of all that Christ gave up, to redeem us, the Church, His bride – and remember that we are called to love our wives as Christ loved the Church and gave Himself up for her. Scary if you think of it.

Would you be willing to give up the glories of ruling in heaven, humble yourself to become as one of your own creation, live a life of service to your creation, suffer unjust trial and cruel death at their hands, and take the blame and punishment for every wicked thing they ever did or would do, and love them through it all? Well you’d better be ready to do that if you want to get married. Because you are called to do no less for your wife. Ephesians 6: 25 “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her…” Now remember how Jesus lived His life on earth. Scripture tell us that “During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears...” (Hebrews 5:7) So start now! “The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.” (James 5:16)

Now I know that I’m not married yet and don’t have kids. But I’m speaking from the perspective of one who has a Dad who has prayed hours each week for his children. And fasted on our behalf. And prayed fervently on our behalf at times with fervent cries and tears. I don’t believe that it’s any accident that my brothers and sisters and I are walking with the Lord. I believe that we are where we are as a result of much prayer, fasting on our behalf and an excellent example left for us. The devil is out to destroy families and it’s happening all around. It’s a battle. Don’t wait till you’re in the battle to start training and learning how to fight. Start now!

2011/9/26 21:09Profile
mama27

Re: A challenge to young men

Thank you so much for this post! I am not a young man, I am a mother.....I have 2 wayward sons, and other young adult children who are struggling with how to live as a Christian in this world...Sometimes I am so discouraged that I just want to quit. But your post encouraged me to keep on, b/c maybe my prayers and my fasting for them DO make a difference, even when I don't see results. What a tribute to your father! Thank you for sharing...

2011/9/26 23:53Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy