SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Pat Robertson says Alzheimer's makes divorce OK

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Pat Robertson says Alzheimer's makes divorce OK

Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson told his "700 Club" viewers that divorcing a spouse with Alzheimer's is justifiable because the disease is "a kind of death."

During the portion of the show where the one-time Republican presidential candidate takes questions from viewers, Robertson was asked what advice a man should give to a friend who began seeing another woman after his wife started suffering from the incurable neurological disorder.

"I know it sounds cruel, but if he's going to do something, he should divorce her and start all over again, but make sure she has custodial care and somebody looking after her," Robertson said.

The chairman of the Christian Broadcasting Network, which airs the "700 Club," said he wouldn't "put a guilt trip" on anyone who divorces a spouse who suffers from the illness, but added, "Get some ethicist besides me to give you the answer."

Most Christian denominations at least discourage divorce, citing Jesus' words in the Gospel of Mark that equate divorce and remarriage with adultery.

Terry Meeuwsen, Robertson's co-host, asked him about couples' marriage vows to take care of each other "for better or for worse" and "in sickness and in health."

"If you respect that vow, you say 'til death do us part,'" Robertson said during the Tuesday broadcast. "This is a kind of death."

A network spokesman said Wednesday that Robertson had no further statement.

Divorce is uncommon among couples where one partner is suffering from Alzheimer's, said Beth Kallmyer, director of constituent services for the Alzheimer's Association, which provides resources to sufferers and their families.

"We don't hear a lot of people saying 'I'm going to get divorced,'" she told The Associated Press. "Families typically respond the way they do to any other fatal disease."

The stress can be significant in marriages though, Kallmyer said, because it results in the gradual loss of a person's mental faculties.

"The caregiving can be really stressful on a couple of levels," she said. "There's the physical level. There's also the emotional level of feeling like you're losing that person you love."

As a result, she said, it's important for couples to make decisions about care together in the early stages of the illness, when its effects aren't as prominent.

2011/9/15 20:33Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re: Pat Robertson says Alzheimer's makes divorce OK

Never been a fan or follower of Pat Robertson. I understand that Alzheimers sufferers can live on for years in a near vegetable state but nontheless, if it were truly considered a "kind of death" then divorce would not even be necessary, just as it is not necessary when one truly dies. The VOW was and is "in sickness and in health". I have heard also of people divorcing their spouses because the spouse came down with cancer and the healthy spouse did not want to stick around. Selfish. I think when you love someone genuinely, you stick around to the end. That person needs you more than ever before.

2011/9/15 20:49Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Jesus said, "Whosoever divorceth his wife and marries another committeth adultery." Period.

Adultery.

2011/9/15 22:05Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Yea, I just figure Pat was looking for some attention again. It's really sad he claims to be a Christian, it make us all look bad, but he does not have any patent on making good Christians look bad.

2011/9/15 22:14Profile

Dear Heavens!

Whatever happened to, "Till death do us part"?

What if, just what if the Lord heals her and she realizes that her husband had gone off and married another.

Why would anyone think of such a cruel thing.

What is wrong with that man.

2011/9/15 22:21
cryinthenite

Re:

Where do we get to love when it only works for us?

I am glad Jesus loves His bide with a everlasting love!

We are to love our brides to the point of OUR OWN death just like Him.

2011/9/16 1:03Profile

Re:

Just be glad you're not Pat's wife! What kind of message is that sending to her?

Krispy

2011/9/16 7:26
Enochh

Indianapolis

That gives us a peek into Pats heart and his view of the love of his god (which in my opinion is of his own making). Love in Pats heart and mind is selfish, self serving and will leave and forsake you.

2011/9/16 8:32Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
KrispyKrittr
Just be glad you're not Pat's wife! What kind of message is that sending to her?
Krispy

It's sending this message, Honey you better never get Alzheimer's or I am outa here.

2011/9/16 8:34Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I guess we all as Christians have to ask our ourselves, what kind of people is supporting this guys Ministry? has to be the ACLU.

2011/9/16 8:38Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy