SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Harassed At Work (?)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Trekker

northern USA

Harassed At Work (?)

How many of you (Christian) have been harassed in some way in the work place and often? Whether precisely because of your Christian witness or for other reasons not related to your Christian witness (i.e simple jealousy, demonic attack, or other)? I want to know if it is common or just something unique to my experience. Some detail appreciated.

2011/9/15 2:56Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Harassed At Work (?)

Ok, I am an employer - one who employs people seasonally.

I do have a word for employees.

When you are on the clock, your time belongs to your employer. Get it? That means you do NOT gab and play with your cell phone! It matters not what your faith may be, if you have any you will destroy your testimony by violating this principle. The scriptures talk about purloining and this applies here.

We had a girl who did excellent work. But as time went on her output got less and less. She was doing well initially so I did not keep tabs on her until the end of the week it dawned on me what was happening. Dense me, I know. But when my husband told her he did not want her to use her cell phone while on the job, she told us at the end of the day she is quitting. Later, she told people she quit because she could not do the work good enough for Sandra! Not true.

Her testimony? I do not take it seriously at all - if she has one.

This is the other side of the issue. You did not ask for it but I gave it anyways. Who knows? Someone may think they are being oppressed because of their faith but they may experience oppression because they are lazy, do not take orders well, steal time from their employers, talk too much. The employee is there to make money for his/her employer. If you fail to do this he cannot afford to hire you. Simple as that!

My experience..

Enough for now...

2011/9/15 10:52Profile

Re:

I agree Ginny completely.

I was laid off a few months ago because there simply was no work coming in. In fact, that office will probably be closed by the end of the year because of the lack of business. I maintained a good witness and did my work well... and as a result the company did all it could to keep me... EVEN THO my immediate supervisor was Jewish who really had no patience for Christians. But he loved my work.

Now I am working as a temp for a rather large corporation. They hired two of us at the same time. Last week they fired the other guy. Why? Poor productivity. I'm still there, and in fact they just extended my contract... and there is talk about a permanent position.

As for being harassed in the workplace simply because of your faith, there are laws against that. There are Christian law firms that will take cases like that FOR FREE. Just be sure that you are actually being harassed for your beliefs, and not because you're an idle fool. (not calling YOU an idle fool, I meant that to everyone in general).

Krispy

2011/9/15 12:45
ArtB

New York

Re:

ginnyrose, Your entitled to how you wish to run your company, but I believe your employee was wise to quit.

You write: "We had a girl who did excellent work. But as time went on her output got less and less. She was doing well initially so I did not keep tabs on her until the end of the week it dawned on me what was happening."

What's this "... as time went by ..." She quit after one week.

I owned my own business, a very successful business. My employees were permitted to take personal calls, sometimes a spouse will call with important info, or they may call their spouse to make sure their paycheck was deposit so the mortgage payment does not does not bounce. They may be concerned about their sick child, or need to be notified by a doctors appointment, or one that was cancelled. As long as it is legit, I did not mind.

What I did mind was their overall productivity. To boost this, I let my workers know when they performed well, that I do depend on them, I gave them credit for a job well done, praise them in front of other workers, at the end of the year I give out bonuses beyond their agreed salary, for good performance. I encourage competition on performance among those whom I employed. I make them feel that the company's success is their success. They were happy and I made a lot of money during those years.

I once applied for a job as a Construction Project Manager. Apparently my interview went well as he tested my on my Construction knowledge and good sense. The owner offered to pay me $ 150,000 per year, the most I ever been offered. Then he gave me his version of "When you are on the clock, your time belongs to your employer. Get it?" speech. And he obstinately set down his very ridged rules. I turned down his offer. He tried to get me back, but I knew it would be very unpleasant for me to work for this man for any extended period of time.

So I write this to let you know there are other ways to run a company successfully without resorting to your "word for employees", your advice as to what Christians must accept when working for their employers or they are not good Christians. I've always been a 'Mercy triumphs over Judgement' type employer, and I've obtained excellent results.

2011/9/15 12:46Profile

Re:

Art, I've known Ginny for a while... I think you have made some assumptions about her that are not necessarily so. It's hard to relate one's whole life and work into a couple of paragraphs. I am certain she allows her employees to take the type of calls you mentioned.

I think what she was addressing was endless long phone conversations outside the range of what you described. And yes, that would be stealing if that is in fact what was going on.

But Ginny is very good at defending herself.

Krispy

2011/9/15 12:51

Re: All

In my work as a meeting coordinator I work pretty much alone and unsupervised. By God's grace, and may I never abuse it, I enjoy tremendous favor from my staffing agency and seminar companirs. So I am not harrassed. So I praise God that he has blessed me with work I enjoy.

I think Ginnyrose addresses some valid points and has given a valuable perspective as an employer. I am noticing a disturbing trend, particularly among young adults, who take an irresponsible attitude toward their jobs. What is really disheartening is when these young adults make a big deal about being Christian and may talk about the word. But then show up late and use their cell phones and not give their all to their employer. When their employer addresses these issues they are the ones who cry persecution or its the devil or harrassment. Consequently their testimony cannot be taken seriously. Paul writes in 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 that our ambition should be to lead a quiet life, to ,mind our own business and to work with our hands. Such a life will win the respect of outsiders.

If we really want to make a gospel impact may I give a word of advice? Please do not tell the workplace you are a Christian. Let me explain. The moment you announce you are a Christian you will be out in the spotlight. In a culture that is hostile to Christ the nonbelievers will look for opportunities for you to screw up and when you do they jump. And as Ginny said your testimony is not taken seriously.

Do you really want to make an impact for Christ in your work place? May I suggest you show up for work on time. If possible get there 15 minutes early. Be at your work station ready with a smile to give your employer your Christ centered effort. Respect the company policies on cell phone uses. Do not use the computer for video games or personal email. Get your projects and quotas done in the assigned time frame. If you finish ahead of time on something offer to help someone else. Stay out of the office or factory gossip. You are there to work. Dress appropiately for the job. If in an office environment dress according to the company protocals. Br professional. Saints dress conservatively and tastfily. If in a factory environment dress cleanly. Wear protective shoes and pants. Leave the ratty t shirts, cut offs, and sandals at home. Respect the break and lunch times. I honestly believe if you quietly do these things your testimony for Christ will have far more imact in the work p/ace. And may lead to some coversations about Jesus.

Want to make your work more enjoyable? Pray over your work area in the office or factory. Pray that God will show up in the work place. Pray for Jesus to guide you in a project. Pray for God to bless your boss, your coworkers, your company. Before you go into the office or factory ask God to go before you and annoint your time at work. Bekieve me this works. When I pray over my meetings they go a lot more smoothly and the day is a lot more enjoyable.

One more thing be thankful you are blessed with a job. Some may feel their job stinks. Nothing to be thankful for. Be thankful you have a paycheck coming in. Believe me a paycheck beats being in the ranks of the unemployed.

Saints this is the walk of holiness. Showing up at work on time and keeping your checkbook balanced is just as important as listening to Leonard Ravenhill or Paul Washer. Sometime I think we forget the more practical things in our pursuit of theology.

2011/9/15 13:05
Renoncer

Re:

Blaine,
You just gave us some excellent guidelines for the workplace. I think you are right on! Praise the Lord!

As for Trekker, I don't know what the situation was exactly, so I am not in a position to judge. All I can say is suffering for Christ is done in humility, without the American mentality of fighting for one's rights. However, if you are forced to do something that goes against the will of God, then by all means don't go down that path, whatever the consequences may be.

Otherwise, here are the divine guidelines:
Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation. Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people. Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor. Servants, be subject to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the unjust. For this is a gracious thing, when, mindful of God, one endures sorrows while suffering unjustly. For what credit is it if, when you sin and are beaten for it, you endure? But if when you do good and suffer for it you endure, this is a gracious thing in the sight of God. For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth. When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed. For you were straying like sheep, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.
(1 Peter 2:12-25)

In Christ Jesus,
Renoncer

2011/9/15 13:35Profile

Re: Renoncer

Brother you are correct. There is another side I wanted to post but my entry was getting too long. Lord willing will post that other side later.

Blaine

2011/9/15 13:49
ArtB

New York

Re:

by KrispyKrittr on 2011/9/15 9:51:23

Art, I've known Ginny for a while... I think you have made some assumptions about her that are not necessarily so. It's hard to relate one's whole life and work into a couple of paragraphs. I am certain she allows her employees to take the type of calls you mentioned.

I think what she was addressing was endless long phone conversations outside the range of what you described. And yes, that would be stealing if that is in fact what was going on.

But Ginny is very good at defending herself.

Krispy

Thanks for sharing. Ginny Rose has a good friend in you. And that is a good thing. I do not know Ginny Rose at all. I was just sharing, as a Christian businessman a different approach to treating Employees.

2011/9/15 13:53Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

I'll second that Blaine, very good advice on how employees should approach their jobs, Christian or otherwise.

2011/9/15 13:59Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy