SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is your favorite hymn -- and pipe organ?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Renoncer

Re:

Mguldner,
I listened to the song online. I was pleased to find that it had a nice tune (in light of the recent discussion on "Christian rock music", I wasn't sure what you were going to put up...) :)

It made me think about something: I find that many of the modern Christian songs are more for people to be the audience, rather than being designed for meaningful corporate worship. Now, don't get me wrong, I like to listen to some modern Christian songs (although I am very picky) such as "This must be the Lamb" by Michael Card, but I wouldn't want to sing it at church, because it is not designed for that purpose.

I think that is one problem we have nowadays... we often try to worship God at church using songs that are not appropriate for that purpose. They may move the emotions, but often, they are not conducive to proclaiming the Lord in unison and reverence. I guess we should ask ourselves: Do we go to church to "attend a service" that is "performed" by a small group of people, or do we go to church to "seek the face of the Lord" and "minister unto God" as a body of believers? (This applies to everything, not just the music...) The answer to that question would guide everything from the choice of music to how we spend our time with others at church.

Your post just made me think about that. Thanks for sharing.

In Christ Jesus,
Renoncer

2011/9/13 0:55Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I can see where you are coming from but its not the song or style that does this one man show mentality of a group of people preforming for a larger group. Its not the genre of song if this were the case Southern Gospel groups wouldn't be in exsistance nor would they make tons of money off of their concerts, it is the mentality of the singer and the mentality of the listener this is both Modern and Hymn (which in a round about way is what you are getting at I believe.) Most songs that Glorify God lyrically can be sung corporately in reverance of God its all about focus and attitude.

2011/9/13 1:13Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re: What is your favorite hymn -- and pipe organ?

I love the Doxology, cuz it praises the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. It makes my heart sing.

2011/9/13 4:24Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

Krispy, i dislike any kind of organ also. I must prefer strings, harps, and flutes/wind.

2011/9/13 4:25Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

Krispy, i dislike any kind of organ also. I must prefer strings, harps, and flutes/wind.

2011/9/13 4:29Profile
Renoncer

Re:

Mguldner,
You mentioned that it was about the mentality of the singer and of the listener. I agree.

A healthy fear of God would burn up much of the wood, hay, and straw in the American church (1 Corinthians 3:12). Meditate on Hosea 11:10 in the light 1 Corinthians 10:6. Maybe that should be our cry for the upcoming conference, "Has the Church lost the fear of the Lord?" - That we would come back to God, trembling.

In Christ,
Renoncer

2011/9/13 13:03Profile

Re:

Quote:
Mguldner,
I listened to the song online. I was pleased to find that it had a nice tune (in light of the recent discussion on "Christian rock music", I wasn't sure what you were going to put up...) :)

It made me think about something: I find that many of the modern Christian songs are more for people to be the audience, rather than being designed for meaningful corporate worship. Now, don't get me wrong, I like to listen to some modern Christian songs (although I am very picky) such as "This must be the Lamb" by Michael Card, but I wouldn't want to sing it at church, because it is not designed for that purpose.

I think that is one problem we have nowadays... we often try to worship God at church using songs that are not appropriate for that purpose. They may move the emotions, but often, they are not conducive to proclaiming the Lord in unison and reverence. I guess we should ask ourselves: Do we go to church to "attend a service" that is "performed" by a small group of people, or do we go to church to "seek the face of the Lord" and "minister unto God" as a body of believers? (This applies to everything, not just the music...) The answer to that question would guide everything from the choice of music to how we spend our time with others at church.

Your post just made me think about that. Thanks for sharing.

In Christ Jesus,

I agree Renouncer. There are many modern songs that just simply aren't designed to be sung to. And its the 20-something and 30-something musicians that are playing them. I find myself trying to mouth the words to the songs that would be far more appropriate to a Christian concert. So now, I just stand there with my hands in my pockets until they are done with their little mini-concert. If they actually play a song that is written for the congregation to sing along to, then I sing.

2011/9/13 13:10
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Brother Endzone, this is not restricted to Genre or style, there are many hymn you can consider "not designed to be sung" as a congregation as well. How does it become unsingable as a group it's how they are sung not what's being sung or the style its being played in. I will agree there are many modern band that have a focus of putting on a concert but if you are going to point at those bands and songs then you have to also look at the Southern Gospel groups that put on a show in a concert setting. They make just as much money as the modern bands.

I believe the real issue isn't what songs are being sung but rather how we "do church" if we all did what Paul wrote to the Corinthians we would hardly have the One man show concert type setting many Christians walk into a church with.

2011/9/13 18:09Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: What is your favorite hymn -- and pipe organ?

I love organ music, always have, but I love other musical instruments as well.

I play the organ for personal enjoyment only, never having had organ lessons but I can read music...I love to play the harmonies found in any hymnal. The harmony is awesome...so beautiful..playing them is relaxing. I imagine heaven's music to be similar but Revelation talks about the use of harps so maybe there will be no organ music. (Krispy would likely say "I HOPE NOT!" lol)

Anyhow, I have no favorite - I love them all...

BTW, y'all did you know that Paul West, one of the mods, composes and plays classical music?

2011/9/13 18:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy