SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What happens at the point of death?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

I think the body waits to be resurrected and put on immortality, but your spirit is with the Lord.

In revelation, the saints were with the Lord "under the altar".

I don't think the Holy Spirit would contradict himself through Paul and then what He said through John in Revelation.

But, that's just the way I see it.

Just-in

2011/9/2 13:29

Re:

Just-in... You are exactly right.

Paul apparently thought that dying meant to be in the presence of the Lord immediately. I think I'll believe Paul.

Krispy

2011/9/2 14:44
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

What do you suppose happens to a body when it has been cremated and spread over some area to become at one with the land or the water?

2011/9/2 15:15Profile

Re:

Same thing that happens when you are burned at the stake.

Your spirit becomes absent from your body and then you are with the Lord.

How do I know? The Bible tells me so.

2011/9/2 17:32
passerby

Re:

1Th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Phi 1:23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

Luk 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee,
Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Luk 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

Act 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

Act 7:60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Some are saying that in Eph 4:8-9 the 'paradise' is transferred to heaven.

Is this verse a figurative representation?

Heb 12:1 Therefore, we also having so great a cloud of witnesses set around us, every weight having put off, and the closely besetting sin, through endurance may we run the contest that is set before us,

QUOTE:
"Do we lie asleep in the grave till the resurrection, or are we immediately in the presence of the Saviour?"

It seems that our soul will not be in the grave after our death, but is it asleep or conscious?

If it is conscious, is it already glorified? if not, are we still prone to sin?

What will be glorified, the body or the soul, or both?

2011/9/2 19:02Profile
Leeza

Re:

2 Corinthians 5

We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

2011/9/2 21:47Profile
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re:

I think what makes it difficult to come to an understanding is that we are in time at this moment. The moment we die, we will not be subject to time. Eternity has began. So if we are sleeping (seen as a time issue) until the Lord Jesus Christ comes or we are immediatly (another time issue) with Him in Heaven, it isn't under time constraints. Time will be of none effect after death. I often think of the martyrs in Rev 6:9-11

9When the Lamb broke the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God, and because of the testimony which they had maintained; 10and they cried out with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, will You refrain from judging and avenging our blood on those who dwell on the earth?” 11And there was given to each of them a white robe; and they were told that they should rest for a little while longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brethren who were to be killed even as they had been, would be completed also.

So are they resting in the Lord Jesus Christ in Heaven or in death?

2011/9/2 23:06Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Oh curiousity, I wonder how the other question developed and why we wonder anything other than being with the Lord happens? Perhaps someone could help me with that, how does anyone scripturally see our bodies as waiting in the grave. Does anyone know the origin of this view? again just curious :)

2011/9/3 1:18Profile
Earendel

Central Alberta, Canada

Re: What happens at the point of death?

Understand that Jesus is the first to rise from the dead according to scripture.

Let's start by looking at the Mount of Transfiguration. We have all read in the Gospel of Matthew.... how Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves, and Jesus He was transfigured before them; and His face shone like the sun, and His garments became as white as light and how Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him.

So hear we have it, Moses died before entering the promise land. And yes Moses did die...God buried him.

But there is Moses clearly alive talking with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration. Some will say that Moses was already resurrected and in body when that took place, but what does scripture say?

Does it not say that Jesus is the first-fruit of those who rose from the dead?

But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 1 Corinthians 15:20

What that means that no one will rise from the dead before Jesus, but there was Moses clearly talking with Jesus on the Mount, before His death on the cross ...so now it can be reasonable deduced that Moses was in spirit form when he appeared to Jesus on the Mount and NOT in body because Jesus had not yet been crucified and resurrected.

Therefore when you die, you are very much conscious in spirit form awaiting the resurrection from the dead (physical body that is).

2011/9/3 2:39Profile
oldandgrey

Sydney Australia

Re: What happens at the point of death?

Many thanks for all your replies.

It has helped me form my own understanding.

2011/9/3 7:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy