Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "Star Preachers"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 "Star Preachers"

"A Church whose members are all aflame with the fullness of the Spirit will always afford a healthful attraction to the unconverted, and will always be making aggression upon the unbelieving world. "Star preachers" are the poorest possible substitute for a sanctified Church."
-Daniel Steele

taken from:
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=14634]Spiritual Dynamics[/url]

[i]Daniel Steele (1824-1914) was the first great Bible scholar and theologian of the Holiness movement. He was professor of theology at Boston University and, later, became the first president of Syracuse University. His writing style may take some getting used to, but his writings are well worth reading, in large part because of their emphasis on Biblical interpretation. Steele was an able defender of the teachings of Wesley and Fletcher.[/i]

2004/12/19 23:51Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: "Star Preachers"

The old puritans used to say 'when the Son rises you won't see the stars'

That reminded me of this Tozer Quotation

[i]In this day when shimmering "personalities" carry on the Lord's work after the methods of the entertainment world, it is refreshing to associate for even a moment in the pages of a book with a sincere and humble man who keeps his own personality out of sight and places the emphasis on the inworking of God. [b]It is our belief that the evangelical movement will continue to drift further and further from the New Testament position until its leadership passes from the modern religious star to the self-effacing saint, who asks for no praise and seeks no place, happy only when the glory is attributed to God, and he is forgotten.[/b]

Until such men as these return again to spiritual leadership, we may expect a progressive deterioration in the quality of popular Christianity until we reach the point where the grieved Holy Spirit withdraws like the Shechinah from the temple, and we are left like Jerusalem after the crucifixion--God-deserted and alone. In spite of every effort to torture doctrine to prove that the Spirit will not forsake religious men, the record reveals plainly enough that He sometimes does. He has in the past forsaken groups when they had gone too far to make a recovery.

[b]It is an open question whether or not the evangelical movement has sinned too long and departed too far from God to return again to spiritual sanity. Personally I do not believe it is too late to repent,[/b] if the so-called Christians of the day would repudiate evil leadership and seek God again in true penitence and tears. The "if" is the big problem--will they? Or are they too well satisfied with religious frolic and froth even to recognize their sad departure from the New Testament faith? If the latter is true, then there is nothing left but judgment.[/i]

( Article taken from This World: Playground or Battleground?, Chapter 24 )

2004/12/20 4:10Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Delagation in the church

Hello all

That is a great post! A friend and I talked about how much pressure the modern “church” puts on the preacher or pastor…it is as if he is to be the sum of all Spiritual positions in the church. At the end of the day the pastor is one of the brethren whom God has appointed authority, even still the burden of an entire church is too much for one man. Moses spoke out and said to the Lord, “Numbers11: 14 "I can't carry all these people by myself. They are too much for me.”

The sentiments of Moses (they are too much for me) are all too real for a pastor even in a church. The solution the Lord offered was practical and useful: 16 The Lord answered Moses, "Bring Me 70 men from Israel known to you as elders and officers of the people. Take them to the tent of meeting and have them stand there with you. 17 Then I will come down and speak with you there. I will take some of the Spirit who is on you and put [the Spirit] on them. They will help you bear the burden of the people, so that you do not have to bear it by yourself.

So the authority which was upon Moses was delegated to other men. In my opinion, there is far too little delegation in the modern church and far too little communion with those who are delegated. Appointed officers can only reflect the instructions they receive. Well-instructed and well-fed (spiritually) subordinates will result in well in well-instructed well-fed congregations. I know it is a lot easier said than done, what do you think are some of the hindrances to an effective church structure?

James

2004/12/20 4:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy