SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Poll: 2 in 5 Evangelical Leaders Drink Alcohol

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Poll: 2 in 5 Evangelical Leaders Drink Alcohol

Quote:
KingJimmy wrote:
A friend of mine who was very much a raging drunk for many years once told me that alcohol never caused her to make bad moral decisions. It just gave her an excuse to make them.

But frankly, in my opinion, if somebody is drunk, it is usually not an accident.

As a previous drunk myself, I can attest to the truth of these two statements.

Quote:
Ginnyrose wrote:
It would be very interesting to know how many times alcohol was involved in so many of these preachers' moral failures/sin.

Like the ‘which came first’ argument, I believe the moral failure came first paving the way for the alcohol or drug abuse.

No one wakes up one day and decides to backslide, it has a root cause of sin in the heart of the Christian. It is in my humble opinion that alcohol is not the root cause of sin in the heart of a Christian.

God bless,
Lisa

2011/9/5 16:45Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Sin is so easily explained away. Maybe this is another reason revival escapes the church. Alcohol is a spirit that is not of God.

2011/9/5 20:57Profile

Re:

It seems that the threads that deal with alcohol and sex have a longer life in this forum than those threads that speak of revival, prayer, or scripture reading. But then I was told this is a forum. But then maybe it is my imagination.

Blaine

2011/9/5 21:23

Re:

Quote:
KingJimmy wrote:
A friend of mine who was very much a raging drunk for many years once told me that alcohol never caused her to make bad moral decisions. It just gave her an excuse to make them.

But frankly, in my opinion, if somebody is drunk, it is usually not an accident.

Quote:
Lysa wrote:
As a previous drunk myself, I can attest to the truth of these two statements.

I can add another plus one to these statements as a previous drunk myself. Alcohol only brought out and amplified what was lurking in the deeper recesses of my heart to begin with.

2011/9/5 23:02
istina

Re:

there are several reason why people drink alcohol, one is for cultural reason, they grew up with a habit to drink some with a meal, it is like eating some kind of food to them, addiction is not strong and they can be fine without it and see nothing wrong with it.
The other reason which is more common which is for fun, to be glad, we can judge people for that but if they cannot find their way to joy in the Lord, it would be not easy for them to obtain from it for a long time.
But there is one more very important reason which we must pay attention to, when peole drink for the comfort out of despair, they cannot get rid of pain by any other means, that is very sorrowful situation. But we must be mercyful to such brothers and sisters, because that means they suffer and their spirit is weaker then their body which is the case of many other Christians who find other less "controversial" ways to ease the pain. Some talk to a friend, some play sports, some read, some fish. But there are many people who have been broken by life and are crushed daily at the work place because of unhuman labour conditions, who are not loved and appreciated because of low income and some physical disabilities or rejection. These dear peopel have faith but they are oo weak to overcome that pain that grip their hearts/ But often they are the most generous and ready to help and share what they have much easier then others who never drink. So where is Jesus?
I believe we must understand the reason why the person driks an dminister if we can to find a better way which is the Holy Spirit but if not at least we must be compassionate on them and never proud of our freedom because we might also have done the same if we were in their shoes.

2011/9/7 15:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy