SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Poll: 2 in 5 Evangelical Leaders Drink Alcohol

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
rjennings

USA

Re:

While I will confess my disdain for alcohol the larger question is not whether we should or should not drink but rather why? We can devote much attention towards finding the boundary between grace and sin when our entire focus should be towards pressing into the holiness of God at which time the boundaries become less important.

I taught teenagers at church early Sunday mornings and they were sluggish and inattentive so I decided to invest in Nerf guns and spent the first few minutes warring it out to get the juices flowing which helped but it didn't take long for the question to arise whether it was appropriate to bring Nerf guns into church. I responded "there will be no need for Nerf guns when revival comes. Will you please pray for revival"?

I Cor 13:11
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

2011/8/18 4:48Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Exactly how does recreational use of alcohol bring glory to God? Scripture tells us that "whatsoever we do, do all to the honor and glory of God."

BTW, Scripture does not forbid a person from shooting himself in the foot - I do not know of any, so why not defend it?

2011/8/18 5:36Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Everything is permissable but not everything is profitable, right? :)

2011/8/18 5:41Profile

Re:

Brothergary said:

Quote:
by bible says elders should not be givern to any wine

what does that mean

does that mean they should not drink

or does that mean they should not be addicted to any wine

most people that i know who drink like this scocialy

are addictted and givern in some way to alcohol

Gary... go back and read your Bible again, thats not what it says. You are referring to 1 Timothy 3:8, and what it actually says is:

"Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to MUCH wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;"

If your version says what you say it says... throw it out, it's wrong. I have not been able to find a version that says that.

Not disagreeing with your point, but if you say the Bible says something it doesnt say... I'm gonna get up your nose, brother.

Krispy

2011/8/18 6:02

Re:

So while all things are permissable, not all things are beneficial.

Let me ask you folks... which one of you would stand in the village square and proclaim the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ... with a Bud Lite in your hand?

Just curious.

And if you wouldn't (those who defend your Christian liberty strongly), please explain why not.

Krispy

2011/8/18 6:05
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

It maybe wise to define Christian Liberities.

We are we liberated from should be the true question, what did Christ save us from? Hell? No the very beginning of Matthew tells us His purpose and what He saves us from Matthew 1:21 "She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save His people from their Sins."

Pretty clear, If we are risen with Christ aren't we also suppose to have died with Christ on the cross? This includes our selfish ambition and will and our lusts. Would this be so for some, its likely.

You also wouldn't want to preach the Gospel of Christ with a Bud Light in your hand because you would likely cause a brother to stumble, what if someone was a recovering alcoholic and by Christ was slowly being freed from the gripes of this struggle and then they see you exhorting the Word with a beer in hand, if they are a baby Christian they may think its quite alright for Christians to drink and thus fall back into alcoholism.

Paul made it clear he gave up many rights for the sake of his brothers who were weaker in faith and understanding of Grace and "Christian Liberities"

2011/8/18 6:20Profile

Re:

Exactly, brother... instead of defending our liberties and enjoying the exercising thereof... the Biblical example is giving up your liberties for the sake of others. Sacrificing your liberties.

The prevailing attitude, even on this forum, is: Dont tell me what to do! I have liberty!

Thats a sinful and unbiblical attitude. It's rebellion, franky. It's not motivated by love, it's motivated by love of self.

Krispy

2011/8/18 10:45
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

"I taught teenagers at church early Sunday mornings and they were sluggish and inattentive so I decided to invest in Nerf guns and spent the first few minutes warring it out to get the juices flowing which helped but it didn't take long for the question to arise whether it was appropriate to bring Nerf guns into church. I responded "there will be no need for Nerf guns when revival comes. Will you please pray for revival"?"

I really appreciated what you shared. Thanks.

2011/8/18 18:51Profile
turn

USA

Re:

Sobriety is sensible and Scriptural.

Nevertheless, at the wedding at Cana (John 2), Jesus turned water into wine and not into pasteurized, grape juice.

2011/8/28 22:21Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

I believe Krispy has it right. The issue is not whether it is Biblically permissive for a Christian to consume a beverage that is alcoholic. How many have used nyquil or the equivalent when you had a really bad cold? The issue is sacrificial love for our brothers. Perhaps it is permissible but for me I will never knowingly partake. Why? I don't ever want to be the reason for a weaker brother stumbling and falling or for a man rejecting Christ because he sees what he perceives to be a Christian partaking of a sinful thing. I would rather not partake. I have studied this issue in depth several times. One cannot make a Biblical case that it is forbidden. I do believe though that one can ABSOLUTELY make a Biblical case as well as a culturally significant case (for those in the USA) that a Christian should abstain in the light of our witness and our love for our brethren.

2011/9/1 20:42Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy