SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Poll: 2 in 5 Evangelical Leaders Drink Alcohol

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Poll: 2 in 5 Evangelical Leaders Drink Alcohol

Forty percent of evangelical leaders said they "socially drink alcohol," according to a new monthly poll.

Many of them added that they only drink "in moderation," "on special occasion," or "infrequently." And they noted that they do so only with those who share similar views on alcohol consumption.

The poll, released Thursday, was based on responses from the Board of Directors of the National Association of Evangelicals, including the CEOs of denominations and representatives of a broad array of evangelical organizations.
Among the majority who said they did not consume alcohol, the common reason for abstinence was not because they believe it is sinful to drink. ...

read more: http://bit.ly/rra2NW

2011/8/17 17:46Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: Poll: 2 in 5 Evangelical Leaders Drink Alcohol

What relevance does this 'poll' have in my life? Does it change my walk with Jesus?

I suspect this is just another thread started only to create website traffic.

2011/8/17 21:36Profile
brothergary

Re:

by bible says elders should not be givern to any wine

what does that mean

does that mean they should not drink

or does that mean they should not be addicted to any wine

most people that i know who drink like this scocialy

are addictted and givern in some way to alcohol

2011/8/17 22:09Profile

Re: Poll: 2 in 5 Evangelical Leaders Drink Alcohol

What is the infatuation with alcohol. I think we have already concluded that drinking alcohol is not a sin. What about a poll on gossip or judging our neighbor according to the flesh.

2011/8/17 22:29

Re:

Here is a "novel" thought:

Ok, so most would agree that the New Covenant includes being set free from sin, right? Which really means we are delivered from lie about God and now walk in the light of His Love. We are not just delivered from the punishment of sin but also the power of sin...are you trackin'

So, we know that the fulfillment of the New Covenant is the Holy Spirit coming to live inside His Church, both individually and corporately. God now dwells in men. That's you, that's me...if you are a believer.

Well, we also know that part of the fruit of this new relationship is Self-Control.
What if, because of this new relationship we have with God, a man could live with Self-Control in every area of his life. He could eat, drink, work, play, sleep, participate in online religious forums, etc. with complete self-control. He would never over-indulge because the Holy Spirit now lives in Him and he is learning to abide in that relationship.

Is that possible? I think its more than possible, it is a promise of God.

Now, I think it wise, that instead of ripping brothers or sisters in Christ who do lawful things which you do not approve of, we should look at our own lives and see where we over-indulge.

2011/8/17 23:02

Pointing as a ministry?

Isn't it possible that digging up possible infractions in another's private life could be improperly judging your brother after your own self righteousness? Is this your mission....or could it be that God desired you to edify your "weaker" brother....and wash his feet? If he is in sin...remember....Mercy overcomes judgment...and that IS your ministry to your brother...as it was given to you.

This seems to be the greater sin, of condemning another after your set of right law...and justifying yours.This is surely the one sin Jesus condemned as odious in His eyes, even above the carnality of another.

2."The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:

3. All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

4. For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

5. But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

6. And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,

7. And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

8. !!!!!!But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren!!!!!!

9. And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

10. Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

11. But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

12. And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

13. But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

14. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

15. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

16. Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!

17Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?

18. And, Whosoever shall swear by the altar, it is nothing; but whosoever sweareth by the gift that is upon it, he is guilty.

19. Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gift, or the altar that sanctifieth the gift?

20. Whoso therefore shall swear by the altar, sweareth by it, and by all things thereon.

21. And whoso shall swear by the temple, sweareth by it, and by him that dwelleth therein.

22. And he that shall swear by heaven, sweareth by the throne of God, and by him that sitteth thereon.

23. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

24. Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

25. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.

26. Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.

27. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

28. Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

29. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,

30. And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.

31. Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.

32. Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.

33Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

34. Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:

35. That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.

36. Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

37. O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

38. 8Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

39. For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord!"

Draw a circle on the ground. Step inside of it, and present yourself as a lover of the God you profess. This is wise...while you put away the pointing of the finger.

Isaiah 58:"Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, "Here I am!" If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity."

Try heartfelt intercession.

2011/8/17 23:20

Re: Pointing as a ministry?

Who exactly are you speaking to Tom?

2011/8/17 23:33

Re:

Rom 14:21,22 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

2011/8/17 23:40
brothergary

Re:

even if some does have some blode claim
that they posses 100 percent self control

ihavent met them yet

paull said
have that faith before god
and thenk of you weaker brethern
which is much more important then your liberty
and boasting in your liberity being general when i say that

this topic was about elders drinking

what does the bible say about elders regarding this

this is not about there liberty

we ought to bare the scruples of the weak paull said

as jesus is god posted

2011/8/18 0:24Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Jesus-is-GOD wrote:
"Rom 14:21,22 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth."

Amen. That's my two cents on this issue. Here in America the world associates drinking beer and wine with drunkenness. In other countries I've heard it's different. In the other thread someone had quoted Spurgeon defending his cigars. But Spurgeon ended up quiting afterward due to stumbling others. Even though in and of itself drinking without getting drunk may not be a sin, if you stumble someone because of it, it IS a sin.

2011/8/18 0:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy