SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can anything be an idol?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re: Can anything be an idol?

To RDG,

Sister the short answer is yes. Anything we do not allow Jesus to have supremacy in becomse an idol. This is particularly true in families. Even Christian families. Because of the breakdown in the Americn family churches have given to what is becoming an unhealthy preocrupation with the Christian family. We see this borne out in the building of family centers and teaching geared for families. Example would be sermons and conferences on how to be a better father or mother, how to raise your children, etc. I need not say thr message the family orientation sends to singles. But then that is another thread.

Observers have warned that this preoccupation with the Christian family can be unhealthy and become an idol. One thing I have noticed as I read about persecuted Christians, they lay their families on the altar. There is aleays the possibility that the persecuted can lose their loved ones to prison and even martyrdom. Something the American church may need to learn.

My sister I apologize for this lengthy answer. I hope these thoughts are of some value.

In Christ,

Blaine Scogin

2011/8/8 11:01
rainydaygirl

Re:

Ok since all seem to agree that we can make an idol out of our family members, where does that leave us when dealing with those who have done this very thing? How should one council or receive council on this issue. If for example a wife has made an idol of her family, children and husband, putting them first and sees this how should she proceed? What about family members who expect because you are related to them to come first, how do you deal with them?

Martyr: I too have read some teaching on this very topic of putting the family in such a high and esteemed place that it does in fact make it an idol in ones life. Not sure though when one draws the line??
rdg

2011/8/8 11:27Profile

Re: StarofGod

Michelle,

Sister I cannot say why Jesus does not mention husband in that passage. Until you posted it I never noticed. I aleays inferred that the implication is Christ is to be loved above all family. It may be, as one poster said, Jesus is talking primarily to males. But then you made an excellent observation of the husband being the head of the wife. Must give some more thought on your question.

I an reminded 1 Cor.7 :32-35 where Paul says that those who are single can serve the Lord with undistracted devotion. Thus the passage you mention can be more readily applied to a single person. I am sure the marrieds will dispute ne on this.

Sister will give more thought and prayer on your question. Hope I am not running off some vain chatter.

Submitted in Christ,

Blaine

2011/8/8 11:40
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

"Unless a man leads, being first led by God and being accountable to Him alone, he will falter in this God designed leadership role. So too a woman that is not first accountable to God and not just being accountable in theory, will also falter. The design is two joining league as one. Complimenting each other so that they both grow together in the Lord in every way. A most challenging task. I have not crossed paths with many who feel comfortable giving testimony of such a God ordained ministry in their lives. Two walking together having first agreed that God would be first and foremost in their lives (their accountability). From that, God equips them to be (a) witness to this God glorifying hands on teaching union that He has instituted."

Well said, a concept I would understand to be Biblical.

ginnyrose

2011/8/8 13:11Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Martyr wrote..
"Sister I cannot say why Jesus does not mention husband in that passage. Until you posted it I never noticed. I aleays inferred that the implication is Christ is to be loved above all family. It may be, as one poster said, Jesus is talking primarily to males. But then you made an excellent observation of the husband being the head of the wife. Must give some more thought on your question.

I an reminded 1 Cor.7 :32-35 where Paul says that those who are single can serve the Lord with undistracted devotion. Thus the passage you mention can be more readily applied to a single person. I am sure the marrieds will dispute ne on this.

Sister will give more thought and prayer on your question. Hope I am not running off some vain chatter."

Thank you brother for you willingness to try to hear what I was trying to communicate!

I am not saying there isn't a time to stand up for the truth. For instance, if Sapphira would have "contended for the faith" she would not have gone down with her husband.

HOWEVER, I found in my own life, I am always "contending for the faith" but what does that mean?? IS that mean be a self-righteous Pharisee or does contending for the faith also involve the 2nd Commandment (Mk 12:31) and 1 corinthians 13. Is this not the faith also? Why do we not suffer need and/wrong? If I ever get married and my husband is unbelieving I would like to save Him, not push Him away because of my self-righteous indignation. Just a thought..:)

But like I said I am not married..so what do I know?

I have pushed brethren away because of self-righteousness though. I am sure of that!

Btw I did not think your chatter was in vain!

2011/8/8 15:06Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I find it interesting that husband is never mentioned here.

No doubt this is because no man had a husband. The scriptures were predominately addressed to men –those who learned to read.

It’s a great question, though. Idolizing our husbands is an insidious plague, and can make us a terrible nag. It doesn’t help that we have been taught that Christian husbands are supposed to be this and this and this (standards that few men achieve).

Quote:
If for example a wife has made an idol of her family, children and husband, putting them first … how do you deal with them?

This is a great question too! Of course, we start by giving up our own need to “deal” with people. We RELATE to people instead, and we let the Spirit “deal” with them. The conscious awareness of idolatry comes through experience in life. That’s often happens when the idol shows its “cracks” and when we come to terms with our disappointments. It is a spiritual journey.

Oh, how easy it is to pry at the speck in another’s eye, and not realize that our vision is distorted by the log in our own eye.

It can be very difficult to see when something has become collective idolatry – like perhaps our nation, our money, our church, coffee , and most of all, our need to be right.

I may sound “preachy” here, but, really I am describing my own story. Idolatry is a constant struggle for me, that can only be smashed through the growth of love for God (first commandment).

Diane

2011/8/8 19:02Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myvideo/photo.php?lid=2638

Listening to this now and it is really clear and good. I pray it may have an answer or so to this thread. If not, forgive me but you will be blessed no matter. For men & women. God continue to reveal Truth. Amen

2011/8/8 21:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy