SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can anything be an idol?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
rainydaygirl

Can anything be an idol?

Can anything or anyone become an idol in our life if we allow it to? If the answer is yes does this include, husbands, children, moms, dads, brothers and sisters...ect? Is it possible to have our own families become an idol in our lives and hearts?

seeking to understand this topic better
rdg

2011/8/8 9:18Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re: Can anything be an idol?

Luk 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

I find it interesting that husband is never mentioned here...I heard my "pastor" bring that up one day..and I have never even noticed or thought about it before.

2011/8/8 9:38Profile
mikey2

Re:

What do you think your pastor was trying to tell you? Did you ask him later what he meant by that?

Mike

2011/8/8 9:41Profile

Oh, definitely. An idol affects how we think - what we do and can take GOD's place for decisions made.

Jesus mentions how this can impact us in the days that these folks turn against Christians and what would happen if we put our affections toward them above our love for GOD.

Luke 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

The 'hate' here is, Love Less in comparison.

I guess we could say that an idol is something that we love that would threaten our love for Christ.

Mat 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
Mat 10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
Mat 10:36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
Mat 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
Mat 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Blessings Sis!

2011/8/8 9:43
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

"What do you think your pastor was trying to tell you? Did you ask him later what he meant by that?"

No I never did ask him..Perhaps I should have. :)

But is it possible for a husband to truly be the head of a home if the woman is busy "hating or loving less" their husbands?? Does this not contradict the role of the husband leading?

I am not married, I would like to hear the thoughts of others..

Although there is this Scripture Act 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

What your thoughts mikey?

2011/8/8 9:54Profile
savedtoserve

Re:

QUOTE:
///Luk 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

I find it interesting that husband is never mentioned here...I heard my "pastor" bring that up one day..and I have never even noticed or thought about it before.///

The husband's not mentioned because Christ was talking to the men. A man can have a father, mother, wife, children, brothers, and sisters, but not a husband. I believe that if you read wherever He spoke, it was primarily to the men, although it is also meant for women. Just study it out; you might be surprised.

2011/8/8 10:30Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Since it was, that Jesus said, 'If any man..', then how could he mention husband?
Yes, I know now it's topsy turvy now, but then it wasn't then.

Jesus also mentioned '...his own life...'. So, our own life could be an idol.

Much to ponder.

2011/8/8 10:30Profile
mikey2

Re:

The head of a home does not mean the same thing as Jesus being the Head of every man.

Jesus won't share our hearts with any idols. Period!

Sin is very deceptive and we are capable of making idols of anything and anyone.

savedtoserve saw the simple context of it. He was talking to men.

I would ask your pastor what he meant.

Mike

2011/8/8 10:43Profile

Anything that you put before the Lordship and obedience to JESUS of Nazareth in a manifest Way.

Narcissism, MY accomplishments, MY ministry, MY looks, Our children, possessions on and on .

"Whosoever LOSES His life; SHALL FIND IT!" The idols emanating from ourselves go when we go....become crucified...[ It's a daily thing...]

AMBITION is the twin sister of Pride.

"If any man come after me, LET HIM DENY HIMSELF!....Pick up his cross..[ death..]......amd Follow Me! This is a life without idols.....honoring the only one worthy of it...

27. "Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?

28. And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

29. And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

30. But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first."

This is Jesus addressing the idol issue.

2011/8/8 10:43
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Right now in Texas Oh how we long for a rainy day........ girl. Anything! Anything! and Anything can classify as an idol if it draws us away from our relationship with our precious Lord and Savior. Recognizing this daily as you know is a most important part of our every day introspection, walk, and crucifixion.

The husband to be head of the wife and the wife submissive. A great daily undertaking for both as we strive with the flesh and the influences around us. The vast majority of influences being detrimental to this purpose. Unless a man leads, being first led by God and being accountable to Him alone, he will falter in this God designed leadership role. So too a woman that is not first accountable to God and not just being accountable in theory, will also falter. The design is two joining league as one. Complimenting each other so that they both grow together in the Lord in every way. A most challenging task. I have not crossed paths with many who feel comfortable giving testimony of such a God ordained ministry in their lives. Two walking together having first agreed that God would be first and foremost in their lives (their accountability). From that, God equips them to be (a) witness to this God glorifying hands on teaching union that He has instituted.

2011/8/8 10:59Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy