· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Saul and David OT

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
carters

Alberta, Canada

Saul and David OT

I have been wondering alot since we have been reading through the accounts of Saul and David.

I have some questions which I would really appreciate some help working through.

1) Why was Saul not given a chance to repent and come back to the Lord?

2) In comparison David too sinned, but was not cast off. Why is this?

3) Saul had demons that caused him to "go mad". Is it possible for a Christian, even after being born again to be cast off by God? In the same way that Saul was?

Thanks so much, I have always struggled with understanding what Saul got such a harsh deal in comparison to other given many chances to repent.

Through Him only

2011/8/3 22:24Profile
Lysa

East TN (for the time being)

Re: Saul and David OT

Quote:
Thanks so much, I have always struggled with understanding what Saul got such a harsh deal in comparison to other given many chances to repent.

Saul didn't get a harsh deal!! All he had to do was OBEY and yet did he? Nope, not even while being led by the hand of a prophet. He chose to go his own way.... every single time. And then when he had a chance to repent, he didn't wholeheartedly. David did repent wholeheartedly, to me this is the difference.

You will have hundreds of opinions, I'm sure but this is mine!!!

God bless,
Lisa

Since He looked upon me, my heart is not my own. He hath run away to heaven with it. ~ Samuel Rutherford

2011/8/3 22:30Profile
carters

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Thanks Lisa,

But don't we all basically go our own way? What is the difference between Saul and us? Why do we get so many "chances" but Saul didn't?

I am really sincerely trying to understand this.

Through Him only
Sherid

2011/8/4 2:36Profile
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re:

While Saul was worried about what the people thought, David repented immediatly after hearing the prophet. Saul wasn't broken over his sin against God but was worried about what the people thought. David knew right away that he had sinned against his God and was broken over it.

I to believe that it is a difference in true repentance. Concerning the evil spirit sent to Saul, my thoughts are when someone is annointed by God, and the spirit of God is on them then the cost is much higher if they still chose to go their on way.

My 2 cents

2011/8/4 3:12Profile
Lysa

East TN (for the time being)

Re:

Quote:
1) Why was Saul not given a chance to repent and come back to the Lord?

No one knows how long Saul was King over Israel but some say 42 year and over half of that time, he was led by Samuel the prophet - who he never obeyed either.

But knowing God as I do, I know that He gave Saul chances throughout his reign to repent.

Quote:

You've already had answers to this. David was a man after God's own heart in that when he sinned, he repented quickly and Saul just gave excuses.

1 Chronicles 10:13
So Saul died for
1. his transgression which he committed against the LORD,
2. even against the word of the LORD, which he kept not,
3. and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to enquire of it and enquired not of the LORD: therefore he slew him, and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse.

1 Samuel 15:35 And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death: nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul: and the LORD repented that he had made Saul king over Israel.

Quote:
3) Saul had demons that caused him to "go mad". Is it possible for a Christian, even after being born again to be cast off by God? In the same way that Saul was?

Going mad is not one of the reasons listed that God slew him. He was definitely in his right mind when he didn't kill Agag and when he called upon the witch.

The other half of your question... I believe that yes, it is possible for a Christian today to be cast off but not for the first little mistake. Saul was not cast off for the first little mistake that he made either. But I do not know God's heart concerning every Christian. Jesus said the first shall be last and the last first so I do not know whose heart is right and whose is not. I just have to worry about my own heart.

God bless,
Lisa

Since He looked upon me, my heart is not my own. He hath run away to heaven with it. ~ Samuel Rutherford

2011/8/4 7:08Profile
passerby

Re:

Perhaps one would say that David sinned in a more serious degree that Saul, but when confronted he had not resisted, reasoned, or fought the chastisement of God like Saul did.

Saul became murderous and mad with jealousy and perhaps bitterness when he knew that the kingship would be taken out from him.

While being hunted by Saul, David remained meek and unassuming. When David was fleeing from Absalom, Shimei threw stones at him and cursed him but this was how David responded:

2Sa 16:9 Then said Abishai the son of Zeruiah unto the king, Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? let me go over, I pray thee, and take off his head.

2Sa 16:10 And the king said, What have I to do with you, ye sons of Zeruiah? so let him curse, because the LORD hath said unto him, Curse David. Who shall then say, Wherefore hast thou done so?

2Sa 16:11 And David said to Abishai, and to all his servants, Behold, my son, which came forth of my bowels, seeketh my life: how much more now may this Benjamite do it? let him alone, and let him curse; for the LORD hath bidden him.

2Sa 16:12 It may be that the LORD will look on mine affliction, and that the LORD will requite me good for his cursing this day. .

David also had a childlike faith, He danced without shame before the ark and fought Goliath without fear.

When we sinned against God are we repentant with a contrite spirit or do we defy the Lord's discipline, became bitter, blame others, do we reason out or complain, feeling it is not fair.

Maybe we were seriously wounded because of our sins and the scars remain to haunt us but let us rather plead with the Lord for forgiveness and healing:

Psa 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

Luk 5:32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

2011/8/5 6:02Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re: Saul and David OT

Quote:
"1) Why was Saul not given a chance to repent and come back to the Lord?"

Saul was given multiple chances to repent, disobeyed and "repented" 3 times actually. God sees the heart and saw that Saul didn't truly turn from his disobedience.

Quote:

Because God saw he truly repented of his sin. Saul only felt bad he was caught, David wept because he dishonored God.

Quote:

I really don't know the answer to this one, but I do know when you stray from God willingly you not only step away from God, you also stray away from His protection.

www.facebook.com/restorationinchrist

2011/8/5 6:14Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy