SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Building the church on the rock

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
denem777

Building the church on the rock

In Matthew 16:18, Jesus said "on this rock, I will build my church." I suppose Jesus could have been pointing at Himself while He was saying this. He IS the rock of our salvation! Although, Jesus could've been pointing at Peter when He was saying this. Peter is nicknamed the Rock. Finally, Jesus could've been pointing to a rock somewhere in Caesarea Philippi as He was saying this (which was the place where they all happened to be at that moment). How can we be sure of which interpretation to use?

2011/8/1 20:57Profile

Re: Building the church on the rock

Or he might have meant all 3. Brother you might want to slow down on your post. Think and pray through these questions you are asking then post one thing at a time as you are led. I see this is the third thread you have started. Slow down. None of us are going o anywhere.

Blaine

2011/8/1 22:52
passerby

Re:

Mat 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

Mat 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

Mat 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

In Matt 16:17 the apostle name is Simon Barjonah, in the following verse he was called or referred to as peter or in greek 'Petros', meaning a single stone.

And upon this rock, in the Greek, 'Petra', which means the solid, immovable bed-rock,_ now the statement 'upon this rock' refers to the one who was revealed to Simon by God the father in Matt 16:16, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God".

2011/8/2 1:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy