SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : False prophets

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread

Re: False prophets

Only if it pertains to the CORE doctrines of the faith, such as those concerning the deity of Christ, salvation, redemption, the Trinity, etc. If a person is teaching ANYTHING false on ANY of the CORE doctrines upon which salvation rests then it does not matter if it is only 1%, that person is a false teacher. A false teacher is someone who teaches damnable heresies; teaching which can damn a soul.

However, if it is merely a matter of doctrines concerning FOR EXAMPLE whether the spiritual gifts operate today or not, that is a different story. A person is NOT a heretic if they disagree on these more minor doctrines upon which salvation does NOT rest.

2011/8/2 23:30

Re:

Amen Sister Sherid. Read your testimony some time ago and know The LORD allowed that experience so that you can come out from it and witness to those who may be drawn that way or are in it now. He 'foreknew' that you'd come out from it and He also stengthened your husband's resolve toward "truth" through it all.

I've known Ed Tarkowski through the internet since I first came online in 2002. Thanking GOD that his message was on M'kayla's site for you to find.

This last evening I was on the phone with a sister who was forced by her church to attend meetings with some of those that you mentioned in your testimony and saw horrendous things in Toronto that were all recorded on videos.

The LORD allows some to go in and come out to help others.

If everyone that tries to reach others that have been deceived, yet were never touched personally by the deception themselves - those who are deceived could say - "How would you know or understand what is wrong with all of this? - Have you tried these things?"

I have rejoiced since you first put your blog into your signature and also for when I first read your blog some time ago.

Your husband and you have done well. We need more articles like those on the net.

The LORD Bless & protect Ed T's and the Carters' ministries and any others like them out there. Amen.

2011/8/3 0:12
carters

Australia

2011/8/3 3:40Profile

Re:

The question really is not about false prophets. Thats not what people are addressing here. Anyone who gives a "prophecy" and it doesnt come true is declared a false prophet by scripture and we are not to be afraid of such a man. I dont care what these WOF or pentecostal "prophets" say... if they give a false prophecy they are by definition a false prophet.

What most folks here seem to be addressing is false teachers. There is room for grace in issues not pertaining to salvation or who Jesus is. But scripture warns of those who preach "another Jesus" or salvation. We can debate tongues or Bible versions all day... it doesnt make one a false teacher (except for those who claim you're not saved if you have never spoken in tongues or read a version of the Bible they dont like. Then the issue is not tongues or the Bible, but legalism and works righteousness).

Krispy

2011/8/3 7:30

Re:

Hi CyAn, you wrote..........

"However, if it is merely a matter of doctrines concerning FOR EXAMPLE whether the spiritual gifts operate today or not, that is a different story. A person is NOT a heretic if they disagree on these more minor doctrines upon which salvation does NOT rest."

I would have to disagree on that point. Not that a person is a heretic, but that the Gifts of the Holy Spirit is a minor issue, I believe it to be a huge issue.Obviously, in comparison to someone's actual salvation then everything would be minor. An example for me of a minor issue would be one's opinion on the end times, pre-trib and so on........brother Frank

2011/8/3 15:21
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Good points.

Sadly, most people who fancy themselves as "prophets" are just not the real deal.

This is unfortunately true of most people who operate under the belief that they are uttering words under the inspiration of God and those who declare as certainties the often controversial yet minor doctrinal views that they hold and present them as "fundamentals" of the faith. They often subsequently treat those who disagree (or hesitate to believe by testing their words) as lesser believers, immature, closed-minded or even as if they are unsaved.

Leonard Ravenhill used to say that a prophet doesn't need to announce to everyone that he operates in such a calling or by such a gift. People will know.

I agree that there is a difference between a believer or minister who is simply and sincerely incorrect in his doctrine and those who are eager to loudly proclaim certain things or use those things as a prerequisite for fellowship. Many times, it is reflected by the attitude by which they present such things...or the manner by which they approach those who either disagree or aren't willing to accept offhand. And, as Frank says, there are minor issues that are more or less differences of opinions rather than issues that should serve to divide the Church along sectarian grounds.

Regardless, I think that we should ALWAYS test the things that we hear or are taught. I think that a true prophet would welcome such Biblical scrutiny. Moreover, if a person who claims to be a prophet is found to be false or perpetually incorrect (especially in regard to major doctrines, repetitious ambiguities or supernatural claims [such as dates for specific disasters]), then it is probably wise for that person to sit down and remain quiet for a while lest they bring reproach to the Body of Christ.

Unfortunately, the gift and calling of real prophets are often difficult to recognize. It is like a worker who is hired to find perfect jelly beans. A trained eye might find them quickly. However, if that perfect jelly bean is located in a barrel of slightly flawed jelly beans, it is difficult to tell the difference.

My wife and I recently toured the Jelly Belly factory in Fairfield, California. The jelly beans that are flawed or imperfect are packed into bags and sold as "Belly Flops." The tour guide admitted that many good jelly beans are packaged with them, because it would be too difficult to find and separate good ones from the many bad ones in a batch. So, the company will often discard entire batches as flawed -- even when many near-perfect beans are present in that batch.

As silly an anecdote that this may be, it reminded me how a few bad examples or false teachers reflect upon the Church as a whole. It is easier for the world to lump all such individuals into one batch.

I pray that true prophets can be easily distinguished from the mundane who only fancy themselves in such a position, gift and/or calling.

2011/8/3 16:05Profile

Re:

Mmmm... Jelly Belly's!

We'll shall call that Jelly Belly Theology!

Krispy

2011/8/3 16:11
carters

Australia

2011/8/3 21:47Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy