SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Direction in Career

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Direction in Career

I'm struggling with something and hope for some guidance. Is it ok to want to excel in my career or want to move to be more comfortable at my work place? I have other job opportunitys here at work and I have also thought about putting my resume out to see what offers I might get. But hesitate thinking that I must give up all my ambitions and goals.

2011/7/30 16:15Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re: Direction in Career

I can tell you that I struggled with this for many, many years and only very recently found peace in my decision.

Thoughts that would cross my mind constantly:

- I feel guilty even just wanting to find a job that I enjoy and makes decent money.

- There are people all over the world who are slaves, unemployed or living on less than $2 a day and I'm worried about having a job I like?

- In these last days, should this even be a concern to me? Isn't this being selfish and petty? Should I really be putting my efforts into something so temporary?

Oh, the list goes on, too! I tried to talk to many people about this and none of them had a satisfactory answer for me. I always felt like they were disregarding one or more of the points I was trying to make. (And they were.) Many answers I received were really just those people trying to justify their own choices and had nothing to do with me or my question.

I didn't feel like I was getting any answer from God, either. Grrrr....

Over time (a very long time for me), small pieces of the answer would come and I would learn to apply those pieces to my situation. I learned that I couldn't sit and wait for a full-on answer because it wasn't coming. Also, I really believe that there is NO ONE ANSWER to this question because God's plan for everyone's life is different. So, I did what I knew to do and trusted God with the rest.

I had to come to terms with the fact that I wasn't a bad person for wanting to find a job that I enjoyed or had interest in. That I'm not a bad person for not wanting to live in poverty. I'm not a bad person because I want a new chair and a bed!

I also had to understand that God wouldn't give me the talents that I have if He didn't want me to use them. I love to write. I'm really very good at it. To want to make a living from my writing isn't selfish or wrong -- not even in these last days because even though they ARE the last days, none of us knows when the FINAL day will be. And we are instructed to continue living out our lives as if we have the whole of them to live.

My advice to you? Seek advice from others but take it with a grain of salt and prayerfully. You may get helpful snippets or confirmations from others, but no one knows the plan God has for you and your job or family. The only advice anyone can give you would be advice on how to work your situation in a worldly way. Seek God on the matter. Go to Him first, not to others. God will honor you for that.

2011/7/30 16:55Profile
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

That is exactly where I'm at. I feel shame for wanting to better myself in my career. Maybe I should just stay here and see what God does.

I'm also struggling with things I enjoy. I have a 3 wheeler that I just rebuilt but after I was born again I have felt guilty for spending time working on it. I'm just about done with the rebuild and I feel I should sell it.

I don't enjoy playing video games, watching movies, or anything like this anymore. I wonder if it is wrong that I do it when spending time with my kids or wife?

Concerned,
Bryan

2011/7/31 10:31Profile
DRAbaldo

Yermo,Ca

As A minister I have taken a vow of Poverty, If not in F.T. ministry, you are not expected to live as a minister that is in ministry F.T. It is a different call all together, Paul said we die that you may live, all things are yours, but we are having inside and outside sorrow and battles, The minister is to be real, not into money.What did Peter say in Acts, they were waiting on Tables, and he said this is not Good, they set up 7 Godly men, and Paul said we, the ministers will give ourselves wholly to the word of God and prayer, sadly in most churches this is not the case, I know, I have traveled the US 32 years now, as a Home missionary, ministry planter etc. I do not see many Churches that offer anything, but worldliness and that's it, the Church is dying. So we are equal, God is no respecter of persons.

We are all ministers, the royal priest hood of all belivers.

But, a F.T. Minister, that is his vocation, and with it comes a grave responsibility.We must in love preach the whole counsel of God and be bathed in prayer, how can we give away what we do not have.

I have been a preacher of the word and holiness many years, this is what I learned.
Because I do not believe in unconditional eternal security, but the security of believers, we in this movement, may not admit it, but it can easily become a walk of guilt and burdened by every action or desire we have, it becomes legalism, and this is not Good.We over examine ourselves till we are so guilt ridden and in slaved by fear we will offend God, we become paralyzed and useless in the kingdom of God.

Lydia was a wealthy women and one of Paul's biggest supporters and his first convert in Macedonia, so God has a different call for each person, it is not a cookie cutter religion, if so, we are comparing ourselves with others and this is unwise, we can not expect anyone to be like us, like me, we all have a different thumb print and we are individuals with a creative spirit put in us. Go for what ever you can, be free from the love of money, but never feel guilty for wanting to better yourself.

My preaching, and preaching as you hear on this site, is truth, but remember if the truth does not set you free, it is a spirit of bondage and legalism.

Since 2010 I wrote 4 books all fee, and blogged and preached on a word all should hear, There is a famine coming this year 2011, this year 2011 we will start to see the visible judgment of God on America, we have heard and I have preached theses 32 years God says now the trumpet has been blown, now it starts, so keep this in mind as in 2011 all will change and many will lose all they have. Do with what you will with that word 3 to 4 months a full famine in America and a great earthquake will happen in the USA very, very soon, and than the fall of America.

2011/7/31 12:36Profile

Re:

Hi Lovefirst. Firstly, let me congratulate you on your salvation. The angels in heaven rejoiced over your salvation. Welcome to the Body of Christ. To hear you talk about video games and so on losing their ability to amuse and distract you is awesome, this is the work of the Lord in you and the results of being given a new heart. To even struggle about the quesions you have raised is awesome because these are not the questions of the world, people of the world do not ask themselves these questions, so praise God.

Now, He who the Son sets free is free indeed. He has called you to freedom and not to be under bondage. If you can learn to be content in whatever situation you find yourself in, then this will be a freedom that not too many walk in. Please consider this Scripture as you ponder your life in Christ..........

1Ti 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
1Ti 6:7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
1Ti 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
1Ti 6:9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
1Ti 6:11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
1Ti 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

You see brother, its not money that is the root of all evil, its the love of it. It is those who covet after it that err from the faith according to the Scriptures. When we seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, we can be as free as the lillies of the field who neither toil nor spin and yet it is God who clothes the grass of the field and it is more glorious than Solomon in all his glory. If you work as hard as you can in your job with all diligence and honor, then whatever comes your way let God be the author of that.

I agree with the other brother who said to listen to the advice of others, bring it before the Lord and before His Word and however your Maste leads you, follow that. The key must be brother that we be " anxious for nothing." If in everything we make our requests known to God by prayer and supplication and thanksgiving then the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard our hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Just think brother, if we are obedient to take one day at a time, be anxious for nothing and seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness, then Jesus Christ Himself will guard our hearts and minds and we will walk in peace and contentment. Now is that not true treasure indeed from the throne room of heaven? Does not all the world seek after these things yet they do not look to God, they look to the things of this world in order to be " content.'

You have an exciting journey ahead of you in Christ. Mountains and valleys and everything in between, and yet when it is all said and done, there will be nothing sweeter to you than the peace and contentment and joy that comes simply by walking close to Him daily. You,ve heard it before brother and you will hear it again " One day at a time." For sufficinet for the day is the evil therof...........brother Frank

2011/7/31 13:17
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

DRAbaldo,

May I ask you how your post is a response to brother Bryan's question? I don't see the relevance of your biography to this thread.

2011/7/31 13:18Profile
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re:

I'm very thankful for everyones replys. Thank you for taking time out to help me. I was very glad to be reminded to take one day at a time from brother Frank. Thank you for your congradulations too! I just sent an email to my friends and family on something you wrote "The debt crisis-Judgement on America"

Also, from brother Kieth, it was nice to hear the same exact struggle that I'm dealing with. I really wanna be pleasing to my Lord Jesus, but often question myself etc."Seek God on the matter. Go to Him first, not to others. God will honor you for that," just what I needed to hear!

DRAbaldo wrote, "Paul said we die that you may live, all things are yours, but we are having inside and outside sorrow and battles." So true, I can now see the fight inside me. It is strange for me to feel the battle within and brings me sorrow to see the work of the enemy in the world around me. Peace can only be found in my Lord Jesus. May I also ask you what a FT Minister is?

2011/7/31 13:39Profile
DRAbaldo

Yermo,Ca

Re:

A F.T. Minister, with me this covers many things, I am doing the work of an Evangelist and Planting a church, authoring christian books and running an on line school for advanced ministry so its a lot of things rolled up in one.Thanks for asking God bless, this was my very first post and one person said I did not address your question, I felt the need to qualify my self and who I was before this my first post, no promotion what I do, I do for nothing, all free, I work with my hands and do not charge for the gospel, also I said a lot about your question I think from a spiritual standpoint, and experience on what I discerned you were asking.

You tell A troll , he who has ears to hear let him hear, he who has eyes to see, let him see, different spirit, or one would both see and hear, legalism, criticism is from the enemy and old news to this old preacher amen.

2011/7/31 19:47Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Perhaps a better question could be is how can I serve the LORD best in working in gainful employment? Being gainfully employed is in the will of God. Now, does this work require that I compromise Biblical teachings, convictions? Does it expose me to temptations I otherwise would not have to deal with? The answers to these questions would be revealing in how one should pursue job advancement.

Some folks have the idea that is order to best serve God one should be involved in formal 'ministry'. But the scriptures inform us otherwise - Paul was a tent maker, Luke was a physician....

And study Ecclesiastes...

My husband and I are are self employed - which means I am a co-partner with him in our work. I meet the public on a regular basis. This exposure to the public provides one with opportunities to witness. I do not preach to our customers, but can and do insert testimony of life and faith in conversations. Many people have blessed me and I hope it was mutual.

In my dealings with the public, there is a prayer I regularly pray and that is "show me LORD how I can bless someone today!" How well you can pray this prayer will teach you a lot about your question, I think.

BTW, to ask the LORD to show you how you can bless someone is wonderful - the people God places in your way is nothing short of awesome.

This is a testimony - hope it helps..

2011/7/31 20:54Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy