SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : A Brief Sketch of Enoch's Walk

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

A Brief Sketch of Enoch's Walk

In Genesis five we are given a list of some of Adam's posterity from Seth to Noah and his three sons. Among those listed, Enoch stands out above the rest. This is what Scripture says in Genesis 5 regarding Enoch:

"21 Enoch lived sixty-five years, and begot Methuselah. 22 After he begot Methuselah, Enoch walked with God three hundred years, and had sons and daughters. 23 So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years. 24 And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him."(NKJV)

In considering the short amount of information we are given about Enoch in Scripture there was a deep impression on my heart. These are some of the thoughts that came to mind:

The words "walked with God" in the above passage stand out the most. In reading that I thought to myself, "how so?" First, the word "walk" has the idea of conduct or behavior. In stark contrast to walking in the counsel of the ungodly, Enoch walked in the ways of God. He aimed with all of his heart to deny "ungodliness and worldly lusts", and to "live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age"(Titus 2:12). He made it his goal to "be holy" as God is holy(1Pet.1:16). Enoch endeavored to walk in obedience to all of God's commands.

I think it is also safe to say that those three words("walked with God") imply a deep intimacy with God through prayer. They imply a disciplined life of continuous prayer being offered up to God and a sensitivity to the still small voice of God in one's spirit. Enoch did not allow anything or anyone to distract him from the one thing that is needful, namely deep communion with His Creator through daily prayer.

Another key element in Enoch's life was that he had simple child-like faith in God. We get that from Hebrews 11:5-6 which states, "5 By faith Enoch was taken away so that he did not see death, “and was not found, because God had taken him”; for before he was taken he had this testimony, that he pleased God. 6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."(NKJV) Enoch took hold of the promises of God. He believed wholeheartedly that the Lord would reward his consecration and devotion to Him, that it would not be in vain.

Also, from the book of Jude we learn that Enoch was a preacher of righteousness. He boldly proclaimed whatever God wanted him to proclaim to the people of his day. Jude 1:14-15 tells us "14 Now Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints, 15 to execute judgment on all, to convict all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have committed in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.” Enoch was not afraid to warn the evil world of his day concerning the Judgment of God and their need to repent.

I can only imagine the kind of intimate fellowship that accurred daily between him and God. Enoch set his mind on "things above, not on things on this earth"(Col.3:2). He lived in unbroken communion with his Lord.

It was very interesting for me to consider that in those days there were no Scriptures available, since none of the Old Testament had been penned down yet. The knowledge of God was based on oral tradition handed down from Adam. Adam was still alive when Enoch was born and grew up. Enoch heard the verbal communication of God's Word which was passed down from Adam. He would have had opportunity to consult Adam himself and get a firsthand account of the ways and mind of God.

So one thing that really impressed me was that this man Enoch had such a deep and intimate relationship with the Lord and he didn't even have access to any part of the Bible. He responded rightly to the light that he had been given.

Now I think it is also important for us to remember that Enoch was a human being as we are, made of the dust of the earth. He had as much need of God's grace and mercy as any of us do, for he too had a fleshly fallen nature like ours. But somehow despite his fallenness he was able to keep such closeness with God. That implies a sensitivity to conviction of sin and a quick willingness to repent and make things right with God immediately when failing Him.

Then we are told that "he was not, for God took him"(v.24). Enoch did not taste physical death but got transported straight to Heaven. How awesome is that.

May we be men and women who "walk with God" on this earth.

2011/7/19 11:12Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: To Pray and Obey, Like Enoch

Pray and obey.

Seems simple enough.

Seems.

2011/7/19 11:22Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Edit: comment removed due to revision in opening post.

2011/7/19 12:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy