SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Honouring Unsaved Parents...in their old age

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
carters

Australia

Honouring Unsaved Parents...in their old age

Hello,

As some of you know we have been studying the Scriptures about child raising. Honouring one's parents of course comes into this. Later this week I started thinking about the applications of this to our lives as adults with our older unsaved parents.

Has anyone any advice about going to parents after all these years an repenting for dishonour and disobedience on their part when growing up?

Does anyone have any advice regarding how they treat their parents now (as adults)...specifically non saved parents.

I would love to hear advice regarding this.

- what sorts of things do you do to honour your parents.
- does this impact how far away you live from your unsaved parents
- does parents being unsaved made any major change in how you interact with your parents (with young children exposed to evil behaviour/sins)

THanks much!!
In HIm
Sherid

2011/7/16 20:26Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: Honouring Unsaved Parents...in their old age

Hi Sherid,

I think that reconciliation is a very powerful thing, especially among family members. I have seen God use my personal apology and repentance to open the door to people being saved on at least 2 occasions.

You will need to seek God for specific direction in prayer. The key is a gentle and sincere approach. On one occasion I visited the person and reconciled face to face in a very non-threatening and meek way. On another occasion I sent a letter that I prayed over with some brethren spelling out my apology and desire to make amends.

Sometimes the opportunity does not come up right away to share Christ. You have to show Christ first, in my view. It has to be genuine. Much prayer is in order and even fasting should the Lord lead. Just be a Christian to them. Not overlording or beating them down, but just love them as would Christ and live the life before them. I believe God will make a way if we are earnest. Sometimes He uses others in the situation as well. There are no guarantees, but at least you can rest assured that you did what you needed to do to make things right. Just some thoughts.

2011/7/16 20:35Profile
carters

Australia

Re:

Hi Robert,

I appreciate your thoughts, thank you. We will be doing lots of prayer to the Lord about this.

Having done this recent study of obedience and honour - reading through the Bible and also commentaries and Websters 1828 on those words, I felt very convicted about my own rebellion and dishonouring of my own parents. Then I reflected upon our lives up until now how we do not really reflect honour to our (un)saved parents even now.

I would really like to find out how Christians should be in honouring their (un)saved parents, without allowing their sometimes very outward sinful behaviour negatively influencing our daughter.

Thanks so much
Through Him only,
Sherid

2011/7/16 22:59Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy