SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is and what are the different forms of antinomianism.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
passerby

What is and what are the different forms of antinomianism.

Are you an antinomian?

This is an offset of our top rated threads in the last few weeks.

2011/7/16 5:56Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: What is and what are the different forms of antinomianism.

Actually, this is a very interesting question I think. To be honest, I had never researched the term antinomianism. I should have put it together. Greek for law is nomos, therefore one who is against the law. I understand now that Martin Luther coined the phrase when he was accused of rejecting the law of God completely. I can also see from the perspective of a people in Luther's day whose entire concept of salvation was bound up in the keeping of rites, rituals, and laws that the concept of justification by grace was a pretty big shock. I can see them reacting violently and proclaiming, "That man Luther is teaching that the law is totally abrogated."

But then I realize this was the reaction of the Pharisees to Christ's preaching and to the subsequent preaching of the early church. Luther wrote a treatise against antinomianism. Jesus and Paul made some similar statements.

Mat 5:17-19 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. (18) For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. (19) Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Rom 7:1-13 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? (2) For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. (3) So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man. (4) Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God. (5) For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. (6) But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter. (7) What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet. (8) But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead. (9) For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. (10) And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. (11) For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. (12) Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. (13) Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

The law, when used lawfully, still performs its intended function today. It is not done away with. But it was never intended to be used to obtain or to maintain righteousness. But to a people who had always believed that righteousness could be attained by keeping the law, be it Pharisees or the church of Luther's day, the idea that all of their hard work was for nothing was a bitter pill for their flesh and pride to swallow.

Interesting post.

2011/7/16 16:43Profile
passerby

Re:

ANTINOMIANISM
By P. G. Mathew, M.A., M.Div., Th.M.

http://www.gracevalley.org/radio_trans/antinomianism.html

2011/7/17 9:18Profile

Re:

PB

All antinomianism is defined as sin with impunity.

All legalism is defined under turning from sin for justification of self in any manner (including the justifying of one’s faith).

The link is more Lordship Salvation error so all he can see are the errors of the other ditch, but knows not the ditch he is in is just as deep.

Quote:
They would say this: Keeping the moral law is at no stage necessary for a Christian.

This will be clearly revealed when the answer to, “Necessary for what?” comes out.

No interest in further participation on this one.

OJ

2011/7/17 12:56

Re:

Old_Joe, I am still confused on your stance as well.

All of these quotes, as you can see, are from your website, so maybe you can understand why I am still confused on what you see so wrong with Him being seen as The LORD of our lives.

It appears from this first article, that it is alright to "obey Him as Father", but not as "LORD"?

A Quote from "Marks of a True Conversion"
George Whitefield (1714-1770)

My dear hearers, be obedient to God, remember God is your father; and as every one of you must know what a dreadful cross it is to have a wicked, disobedient child; if ye do not want your children to be disobedient to you, for Christ's sake be not disobedient to your heavenly parent. If God be your father, obey him: if God be your father, serve him; love him with all your heart, love him with all your might, with all your soul, and with all your strength. If God be your father, fly from everything that may displease him; and walk worthy of that God, who has called you to his kingdom and glory.

http://www.theinvisiblechurch.ca/fakery/Marks_of_a_True_Conversion.html

"A Call to Holy Living"
C.H. Spurgeon (1834-1892)
Sermon text: Matthew 5:47

http://www.theinvisiblechurch.ca/sanctify/A_Call_to_Holy_Living.html

"The Heresies"

Antinomianism-

The heresy of Antinomianism so named in the 16th century by Martin Luther, teaches that because God is gracious and forgiving, a person can go on in whatever sin they desire, presuming on the grace of God for forgiveness. Those who hold to this heresy believe God’s grace gives them a license to live as they wish, partaking in any sin, and in so doing they turn the grace of God into lasciviousness.

http://www.theinvisiblechurch.ca/heresy/Soteriological_Heresies.html

"Christian Behavior" by Bunyan

Titus 3:7-8 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

I shall not at this time discourse of every particular at large included in these words; but shall briefly fall upon those things that I judge most necessary for the people of God. Neither shall I need to make any great preamble to the words for their explication; they themselves being plain, and without that ambiguity that calleth for such a thing; the general scope being this, THAT THEY WHICH HAVE BELIEVED IN GOD SHOULD BE CAREFUL TO MAINTAIN GOOD WORKS."

http://www.theinvisiblechurch.ca/sanctify/Christian_Behaviour.html

Etc Links on left column - http://www.theinvisiblechurch.ca/sanctify/Sanctify.html

How do these linked articles from your website differ from what others have been teaching here?

2011/7/20 2:47

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy