SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How to repent?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ThePhan2m

How to repent?

I've had trouble before, and now again with this issue. I know I have to repent, however, even if I do and cry over it, I end up doing it all over again, as if I never meant anything with my repentance. So instead, I give up... My heart is not right, I want it to be. (most likely I do not want it enough, intentions aren't everything) It's hard do what is right.

This verse about Esau:

Quote:
Hebrews 12:17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

I got this verse once a couple of years ago, in my worldly life, when reading the bible. I've grown up in a Christian family, and got born again 10 years ago, then 4 years after that I slowly drifted from my faith, not rejecting it, but not living it. I so often wanted to come back to the faith (and I did 2 times for different periods), though the last time I was in my worldly life, a couple of years ago, I got that verse I quoted. I tried to repent, but it just drowned in my everyday sinning and isolation. I decided to never go back to those days ever again, but now I'm almost back where I started. And its tough to know what to do. Something is wrong... and I need help.

How does repentance work? I know the drill, I have enough bible knowledge, still when I'm in the most need of it, I have no clue what to do. What does knowledge of the Bible and Theology matter if there is no life & actions?
Rick Warren has this shortening I think is good: YBH?(Yes but HOW?)

2011/7/9 20:16Profile
mama27

Re: How to repent?

I'm not the theological expert like some on this site so I am not going to attempt to answer your question. But I feel badly that no one has....I will be praying for you. I do believe repentance is a gift of God - it is not something you can work up....God bless you as you continue seeking...

2011/7/9 23:42Profile

Phan2m

You are in the midst of this battle, and it comes to all Christians, to some in greater degree, to some in lesser.

Rom 7:19-24 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

Your issue is not that you need more “repentance”, but that you are in need of more love toward Christ. When you look at it like each sin you commit you throw at Him on the cross, it brings it more into perspective. Each sin is another lash that you give Him, each sin is another spear that you put in His side, and this toward one whom you love? Don’t look at the lashes though, look at Him, see Him there taking it patiently from you and for you!

You will never stop sinning while in this earthly body,
and should recognize that by now, and when your eyes are concentrated on your sin, they are taken off of Christ. Like a man drowning in the ocean and one in a boat comes by, if the drowning man keeps looking at the water he will be overwhelmed and never reach out to the hand ready to save him, but if he looks above the water to the hand that saves and reaches for it he will be saved. Look up!

OJ

2011/7/10 0:11
passerby

Re:

Yes, one doesn't have to get a diploma in theology before one could repent.

Nor one has to look for some sort of emotional drama associated in the act of repentance.

If one is trying to work out some 'sad feelings' or some 'feelings of a right heart' or 'some sign of being an elect' before 'signing-in' in for repentance, he could be missing the point and might actually is trying to work out his salvation.

When you acknowledge that you have offended God, longs for His forgiveness, and is deciding to walk back in the right path through His grace and mercy, then just come to Him just as you are and received His forgiveness through Christ and start right away to walk in the newness of life according to His precepts.

God will surely help you to live anew, some days would be light, some days would be very hard, and some days are failures upon failures because some things are just very hard to give-up.

But always choose the right way, yes many times in the hardness of our flesh, one will just be left but with 'a decision to be made'_well the Lord knows that we are but dust, just choose what is right, for the Lord is merciful especially to those who fears Him.

He will see you through to the end of our journey according to His grace and mercy, just humble your self and put your trust in Him. He came and laid down his life so that sinners like us will have another chance.

2011/7/10 0:44Profile
Wordizlife

I just finished reading this article about how effective fasting is when combined with prayer. I suggest you read it and give it a shot.

http://www.heraldofhiscoming.com/other/home.htm

You'd have to look up the article in the search function.

Fasting Is A Powerful Aid To Prayer
By Gordon Cove

2011/7/10 1:12Profile

Look at Zaccheus in Luke 19:1-10. He wanted Jesus to be with him and therefore he was truly ready to what he needed to in order to destroy his covetous life so Christ could dwell at his house. That is the end of repentance. These verses are some clear New Testament descriptions of repentance.

"Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter." (2 Corinthians 7:19-11)

"But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.

Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up." (James 4:6-10)

2011/7/10 1:32

Re:

Brother Satan always tries to tell us we have reached the end God's patience with us. Another one of his favorites is to tell young believers they have comitted theunpardonable sin. He is a liar! Repentence is easy. Just decide you're going to follow Christ. Just get on the side of your bed and ask for forgiveness and guidance.

But I think something is knocking you off course right after you get back on course. What is this? Some mental stronghold in your life? Some fear of submitting to authority? You felt betrayed as a child? Ask the Lord to show you the stronghold and reveal the truth to you.

2011/7/10 1:55
ArtB

New York

1 Jn 1-10

What was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands, concerning the Word of Life — and the life was manifested, and we have seen and testify and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and was manifested to us — what we have seen and heard we proclaim to you also, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ. These things we write, so that our joy may be made complete.

5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us. NASU

2011/7/10 7:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy