Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : 'UK church faces life underground'

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 'UK church faces life underground'

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

Christianity in Great Britain is imploding, fragmenting and will soon be driven underground, says a senior adviser to Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams.

Jayne Ozanne told Williams and Archbishop of York David Hope that a time of great persecution for the church is coming, reports the Times of London.

n a private report to the pair, Ozanne warned the outlook for the church was not good – that it would continue to implode and self-destruct over homosexual clergy and other issues. She says that its future will be one of an underground movement comparable to resistance movements during World War II.

"I remain convinced that the only way for the Church to survive the storms that are currently besetting it is to embrace the hard truth with honesty and humility," wrote Ozanne. "Questioning whether Church leaders really believe any more in a God who can move mountains or in a God who can raise the dead, she warns that the Church seems to have forgotten how to meet the cost of being Christian."

She continued: "Sacrificial giving is not a concept that we in the West have either embraced or understood. We are too comfortable and, as a result, too compromised. I see a time of great persecution coming, which will drive Christianity all but underground in the West. I believe that this will primarily take the form of a social and economic persecution, where Christians will be ridiculed for their faith and pressurized into making it a purely private matter."

While the established Church will self-destruct, "fragmenting into various divisions over a range of internal issues", she predicts that a new "Church in England" will take root, consisting of non-denominational cell groups throughout the country.

2004/12/12 11:35Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: 'UK church faces life underground'

Quote:
"Questioning whether Church leaders really believe any more in a God who can move mountains or in a God who can raise the dead, she warns that the Church seems to have forgotten how to meet the cost of being Christian."

What a statement. :-o

2004/12/12 11:36Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
UK church faces life underground

That's where it began. [b]Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. (Joh 12:24 KJV)
[/b]

"the church" wrote F F Bruce "was designed for catastrophe". The real church has never courted trouble nor shirked it. The One who knows the end from the beginning says [b]"Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me."[/b] (Heb 13:5-6 KJV)

2004/12/12 13:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy