Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Godlessness has doomed Britain

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Godlessness has doomed Britain

Britain today has become one of the most godless societies on Earth. Its principle ‘religious’ exports today are thinkers who despise religion. From Richard Dawkins, who has compared religion to child abuse, to my friend Christopher Hitchens, who titled his 2007 book God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything, the British have cornered the market on being anti-God – at least the Christian and Jewish varieties.

While 92 percent of Americans believe in God, in Britain only 35% do and, according to Britain’s National Center for Social Research, 43% say they have no religion. The percentage of those affiliated with the Church of England dropped from 40% in 1983 to 23% in 2009.

In truth, though, if Britain’s Christian tradition is dying out, the leaders of the faith have only themselves to blame. ...

read more: http://bit.ly/kjKtQm

2011/7/7 9:35Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re: Godlessness has doomed Britain

Where or how does a Christian themself in all of this. On one hand the Christian has the belief in God and it is based in history even though I have heard, lately, that christian have a blind faith.

On the other hand if a christian believes but cannot show evidence then is his faith blind?

Does the thinking mind put up a wall against the belief of christians? Yes, I agree there is a struggle between soul and spirit but how far does a christian go before he is supposed to shut off his mind, if at all? Does this make sense?

It just seems to me that if England is putting out these thinkers and they are godless, is that saying that any thinking man shouldn't be christian because the thinker and faith in God are opposed to each other? Is it godless to be a thinker?

2011/7/7 10:10Profile

While on its face this make seem like bad news (and in truth it is) it may be that God is preparing the ground in Britain for them to once again hear the Gospel.

Just reading Isaiah today and when God commissioned Isaiah, he told him Israel would not be able to hear what he was saying because they were still trusting in themselves. Isaiah asked how long Lord...when then will they hear?

"Not until everything is laid waste..."

Maybe this is what is happening in Britain.

2011/7/7 10:16
davym

Re:

Quote:
While on its face this make seem like bad news (and in truth it is) it may be that God is preparing the ground in Britain for them to once again hear the Gospel.

Hi Mahoney

I really hope you are right.

David

2011/7/7 10:52Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Quote:
In truth, though, if Britain’s Christian tradition is dying out, the leaders of the faith have only themselves to blame. ...

Wonder what Ron Bailey - philologos - would say about this? I would love to hear his reaction.

2011/7/7 11:17Profile
passerby

Re:

Quote:
Where or how does a Christian themself in all of this. On one hand the Christian has the belief in God and it is based in history even though I have heard, lately, that christian have a blind faith.

That is such an overwhelming situation for christian, seeking for a palpable evidence can put your mind into such a great struggle, it can dry your spirit and desolate your soul.

I can still feel those dreadful nights where I found myself sleepless and obsessed with such mind wreaking uncertainty.

2011/7/7 12:15Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Interesting, this article comes from a secular source.
I have been to many places on the earth and I have not experienced so hard and proud people as in the UK where I live. Drinking and swearing and immodesty is very bad here. London and the South East are even harder than the rest of the country. Nevertheless I have to say the the Brits can be very generous in charitable causes.

May God use his true servants to break these hard shells.

2011/7/7 12:55Profile

Re:

HI Guys, as most on this site know, I am from Scotland where I would suggest that the numbers are actually worse than Britain as a whole. In Scotland, less than 3% of the population go to church, over 50% of that number are Roman Catholics.

Now the question was raised, whose fault is that, is it leadership? I think the issue is more complex than that question, but basicly the answer would be yes. Even in the days of Wilberforce, dead denominationalism ruled. In fact he and people like John Newton were called " Enthusiasts." Now one would think that this is a positive word, certainly not in the context it was used for them. It was used to deride them and mock them. Wilberforce wrote in his book " Real Christianity,' that Christianty as a force would die in Britian if religious people did not get truly saved. His prophetic words have come to pass, and now America faces the exact same issue.

When Carter Conlon came to my home town of Greenock two years ago with hundreds of Christians from Time Square church, he admonished the " local church," every night in a very masterful way. He recognized that he was in someones backyard, but that did not stop him from speaking what the Lord laid upon his heart. He told the Christians that if he as an American could come to their home town and go into the high schools and preach the Gospel, why not they? He said " where are those who will go?

Now I know the local church in Greenock and it is a micro-cosm of the church as a whole. Brother Greg can testify that he and I knocked on the doors of church's and tried to get them interested in the solemn assembly, the revival conference that was about to take place. Most were not interesed, one Church of Scotland man dismissed us with this " I am retiring next year."

My mother and father go to a local brethren church. There are 12 attendees, the youngest being in their 60s. They have no minister as do most of the brethren church in Scotland therefore they watch a screen of a man preaching from a central location. The denominations are dying, the darkness is consuming and the Lord is almost at the door. If there was ever a time for brothers and sisters to work together as one Body, it would be now, but alas, they will not. Their doctrinal differences are insurmountable walls. Thier pride in their own theology will be their only comfort as the last beautiful stone church in Scotland is torn down to make way for bingo halls and apartment buildings.

In Scottish tradition, clans that did not like each other would band together to fight a common enemy, typically the English. So it seems that the world has more wisdom than the " church." ............brother Frank

2011/7/7 12:59
jimmyhudson

England

Quote:

I agree with this quote entirely. Like in the modern construction industry, they often completely demolish a building rather than trying to salvage an old one. It is easier to start from scratch.

Please see this website
www.walesawakening.org

2011/7/7 13:36Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

It's growing. There are so many Churches in Reno Nevada but only 3% attend Church. And that includes what some of us would call cults. And there are divisions amongst most of the Churches and splits. I have confidence that God knows how and will be glorified in His time and His way. He is God!

2011/7/7 14:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy