SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Origin Of Christmas?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 The Origin Of Christmas?

The Origin Of Christmas?
What did December 25 originally celebrate? For some time before the coming of Christianity, December 25 was a time of pagan celebration. The pagans knew that at this point in their calendar the shortest day and longest night had passed, that little by little the sun would rise higher and remain longer in the sky, bringing with it the promise of spring.

Prior to this day occurred the week-long Roman feast called Saturnalia (December 17-24), held in honor of the deity Saturn. This festival brought hopes for peace, happiness, and goodness that supposedly occurred during Saturn's reign.

Emperor Aurelian (A. D. 270-275) quickly capitalized upon the heathen worship of the sun and, in the year A. D. 274, officially declared December 25 as the birthday of the Unconquered Sun (dies natalis solis invicti). --These Times

--

I think it would be profitable to hear peoples opinions on this and more facts to be brought out.

2004/12/11 19:54Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re: The Origin Of Christmas?

Great thread Greg,
Also what or who invented father Christmas,is is american, or from europe or what?
there are many differing stories
I know he's not real :-) and my question is for real thanks guys :-)

2004/12/11 20:05Profile
jouko

Ex-England colony of Australia

Re:

Not real ?!!:-o:eek: Every Finnish kid knows him to be from Rovaniemi in Finland, in fact I'll give you the address so you too can get your wishes come true this Christmas. Nowadays he's also able to communicate in English which would probably make it easier for you and for him as you send in your requests.

http://www.santaclausvillage.info/

The rest of the world has of course tried to hijack the whole concept of Joulupukki but with limited success. Mary Christmas.

P.S If you need a translator, I'm willing, somewhat disabled, but ready as long as you pay for my airfare. Please include my wife and kids in the ticket.

2004/12/11 23:33Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The rest of the world has of course tried to hijack the whole concept of Joulupukki but with limited success. Mary Christmas.

ahhh the mystery is solved!! thank you brother .. hehe

Santa Claus lives in Lapland, in the north of Finland. You can meet him any day of the year in Rovaniemi, in Santa Claus’ Village on the Arctic Circle.

Santa’s secret getaway is in the East of Lapland, on the Korvatunturi Fell, where he was first spotted in the 1920’s. The secluded area of Korvatunturi, impossible to reach by anyone else, is situated on the border between Finland and Russia. Mrs. Claus lives there, and so do the elves that prepare the gifts. The Korvatunturi Fell is 483 metres high, and is the shape of an ear. With the unique shape of the fell, Santa can listen to all the children around the world.

As early as in the 1950’s Santa would often enjoy visiting the Arctic Circle near the town of Rovaniemi, not only on Christmas but all throughout the year, to visit both children and child-like. By 1985, his visits had become so regular that he founded his own village there. Today, his village includes Santa Claus’ Office and Santa Claus’ Main Post Office as well as the reindeer park and SantaPark nearby.

Santa Claus comes to the Santa Claus Village every day of the year to listen to children’s wishes and to talk to people from all over the world.

:-P :-P

2004/12/11 23:38Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Here's the real scoop...[url=http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/santa.asp]http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/santa.asp[/url]

Also try...
[url=http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=35]http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=35[/url]

(Looks like there is shared info between the two)

2004/12/12 0:10Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

And another, on Christmas origins, primarily American...[url=http://www.bsu.edu/web/01bkswartz/xmaspub.html]http://www.bsu.edu/web/01bkswartz/xmaspub.html[/url]

2004/12/12 0:30Profile
adonaisarmy

PLEASE CAREFULLY READ ALL THAT I HAVE WRITTEN AND TAKE IT SERIOUSLY!

Duet 12:30 Forbids us to learn the pagan ways, or to worship the Lord in a pagan way(process,sheme,model,method,patter or design of the pagan ways)

"Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.
31 Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods."

If we " adopt" a pagan pattern or try to clean it up, we violate duet 12:30,31.

Satan's obejective is to divert our obedience away from serving the true creator of the universe, and influence us to do things his way instead. He is a gifter entertainer and master of ceremonies. The principle object of worship in the ancient world was the sun(among those who were ignorant of the true creator). Behind all Pagan deity worship stands Satan himself.
The most important day in the life of a witch or sorcerer is their annual birthday. This is because the celebration of the suns birthday was the winter solstice, which was what we call december 25th today. (SIDE NOTE, ALL THE DAYS OF OUR WEEK ARE PAGAN AND THE MONTHS EG. SUN-DAY from latin, dies solis, the day of the sun) Origonally, common people did not observe their personal birthday; the earliest birthday observances were reserved for the pagan deities. Later, Kings observed their birthdays, as we see Pharaoh doing in the book of Gen. Much later common people began the practice, but only among Pagans, since that is the origin of birthday celebrations.
Re-visionism("looking back", with changes)'
As a master of ceremonies, Satan disguised his religious deception by what scholars call "revisionism" : a policy of modification or change, especially of a political or religious doctrine or teaching.
History shows that the Roman State religion was one of Sun worship(mithraism) at first, then constantine enforced a blended form of christianity and Mithraism on the empire. He out lawed the true Sabbath(the 7th day reff to on pagan calander saturday) and enforced Sun-day worship under penalty of death. He established Catholicism(latin meaning: Universalism) by setting the dates for observing the weekly"sabbath" as Sunday, and Easter for the empire. ( Easter was already one of several vital Pagan observances, orginally "Ishtar" commemorating the impregnation of the Earth Mother nine months prior to the winter solstice!) Who designed sun worship? The father of lies. Are any lies told around Christmas time?
In the year 525, Dionysus Exiguus came to Rome from Scythia. He was a "monk" of some sort which all Pagan religions seem to have but such a term is not found in Scripture as playing a role in true worship. Coming upon the time of the winter solstice festival celebrating the birthday of the sun, he witnessed all Rome in revelry. Wreaths of greenery were hung on the doors of homes as emblems of the sun. Every good sun worshipper had a round wreath on the door of ther home.Everyone exchanged gifts, and drunken partying was everywhere.
The color RED was also symbolic for the sun, bringing to mind Heat. In ancient Babylon, gifts were placed on trees of the grove as offering to Tammuz/ Nimrod on the winter solstice. the sun idol after he was slain. The "Christmas trees" represented Nimrod to the ancient sun worshippers ( Jeremiah 10:2 "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not." )
and sunrise worship services involving "branches" were even found in Ezekiel 8:17, where the priests turrned towar the sun with their backs to the Lords Temple. The wreaths were emblems of Nimrod and suggested the round solar shape. Learning that these practices in Rome were in honor of the ancient sun idol, Dionysus Exiguus was shocked and dismayed. Reasoning that it was to be impossible to stand in the way of the frenzied fervor, he sought to "revise" the meaning for it by claiming it to be the celebration of the birth of the messiah , not the pgan sun idol( mithras) thus justifying it by adipting this satanic ceremony into "christianity" violating Deut12:30) He invented the concept of "b.c& A.D.)The apologists call it inculturation when we steal a page out of Satans book and take it as our own. When we peel back the mask or layers which conceal these truths, most people dont want to looks at the pure straighy in the eye.
Romans 6:16 "16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?"
Revising, camouflaging, masking, concealing: this is the process our enemy employs to deceive us. Can we oversome the deceit or will we drift along with the braod road to destrucion? Awaken-- You are dreaming a babylonian nightmare. There is no mask to peel away from what is true and right ; there is no Pagan underpinning to the truth-- it is clean and pure from its origins.

Mr. "HO-HO-HO" The story of a "Nicholas" in Holland during the 3rd century who was generous to children is unsubstatantiated by anything but relatively recent lore, but christian he could not have been. Christianity made no inroads in the Norse areas until Patrick during the 8th century. The name "santa claus" came from the name "saint nicholas" as it was pronounced by the dutch, and taken down as "saintni-cholas" by english people attempting to spell this name. The color red was brought in to Santa's costume by the coca cola companys marketing departmen in the 1930's, but it is coincidentally the "seasonal color" inherited from the sun worshipping Pagans. He flies horned beasts(by sorcery?) through the air at night, and enter homes by means of the fire place- the ancient pagans most sacred spot in their homes the fire place! Who might santa really be?
SATAN & SANTA employ the same letters, and are in almost perfect order right before our eyes, and all we have to do is move the"N". Hes horning into the celebration, but what does he to do with this time of year, even from the pagan perspective? Identifying who he is, and whose birthday December 25th really is, should link up to some conclusions in your mind. He is Nimrod,Baal,Moloch,Zeus,Venus,etc.---and these are all really one deceiving being: Satan
Christmas? Yes, its a birthday observance
Its Satans birthday
Our Christ(messiah) has nothing to do with it, and never has--
Regardless of what christian teachers may tell you, Christmas was NOT a part of what the early United States of America embraced. The first 13 American Colonies all had laws against this satanic observance, and their faith in the messiah was the basis for it. One would be fined and or imprisoned for observing Christmas, because the early American settlers understood that this practice was on of popery's strongest promotions, and that its origins were Pagan(therfore satanic). Popery is tyrannical Nimrodism, and this can be proven to anyone from the book by Alexander Hislip, The Two Babylons.

In understanding that we were never commanded to celebrate the birth of christ, and it is not on dec 25, and that we are commanded not to mix the profane with the holy that is anything to do with our Lord with the world even pagan holidays. This includes Christmas, and Easter. I would recomend studying the feasts of our Lord and begin to celebrating them - for they are shadows of christ. I would aslo recomend studying the biblical calendar and try to live by it.

If you want my references and More material on all such topics go to www.fossilizedcustoms.com

Our Lord is calling us to wake up, to be holy, and set apart, a pure and spotless bride, May he help us to be that!

2004/12/12 3:01Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
The rest of the world has of course tried to hijack the whole concept of Joulupukki but with limited success. [u]Mary[/u] Christmas.

hi jouko
Was this intentional? [u]Mary[/u] Christmas? An old friend preacher of mine used to say 'be careful of Christmas. It's a Catholic plan to get you worshipping Mary'. It is certainly interesting to see how many old carols have Mary at the centre rather than Christ.

2004/12/12 4:15Profile
jouko

Ex-England colony of Australia

Re:

Hello Philologos.

It was intentional. Wise preacher friend of yours. Maybe it's just me, we see but we don't see if that makes sense. With blessings
jouko

2004/12/12 4:38Profile
Spitfire

Quote:
I think it would be profitable to hear peoples opinions on this and more facts to be brought out.

I'm blown away that this topic is up here on SI today. I came here this morning very disturbed in my spirit by something which has been happening in my circle of friends this week. You see, another friend of mine and I had a Christmas party last night. We invited about 40 of our Christian friends. Many of our friends are musicians, so we told them in their invitations to bring their instruments for a "Christmas Hoedown". One of my dearest friends, my piano teacher, told me that she and her family would be unable to attend because they don't celebrate Christmas. I was shocked! I had never heard of Christians not celebrating Christmas because that is how I was raised. But...it got me thinking, because I know she is an extrememly godly woman. Ok, so then we had the party last night. I didn't realize that my friend, whose home we had the party, had a music loft. This upstairs, open room was totally wired for sound. They had drums and amplifiers. It was just a total studio! As soon as the musicians got to the party, they began to plug up, set up, and play...really loud. Those guests who were not musical were "segregated" out. They could not talk for the loud music. I felt bad. My 25 year old daughter was with me. She has a wonderful voice, but she only sang a little bit. On the way home, I asked her if she had a good time. She said, "It was ok." I asked her what was wrong and she proceeded to tell me that she thought the whole music thing was selfish and self indulgent. She said that the musicians had no consideration for anyone else, because they played so loudly and also, if you weren't "pushy" enough to elbow your way in, you were basically just left out. I'm telling you all this because, suddenly it hit me. Suddenly I realized how, even my planning of the party, had been about me. I was truly shocked. One of my most fervent prayers lately has been, "God, teach me to think like you think. Teach me how to really love others from my heart." I'm seeing how Christmas isn't about loving others, it's about loving ourselves. If this weren't true, the mainstream community wouldn't be doing it. I tell you, this is really rocking my world. I don't want to go to church this morning. Most of those same people will be there again, "leading worship". Is that worship? What about loving people? Really loving people. What about all the people who left that party last night feeling "yucky"? Sincere, genuine people who went home and, as both my husband and daughter said, "I'll never do that again." And to those who don't get it? How can we deny when someone speaks honestly from their heart? If this is Christianity? No, thanks. Oh God! Please help us. We need to see through your eyes! We want to be vessels of honor, Lord. Please, help us. Sincerely, Dian.

2004/12/12 8:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy