SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Role and Purpose of Women in Christianity

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Role and Purpose of Women in Christianity

I am currently in an social science class and for extra credit the professor wants an essay on 1 of 4 topics. One of them is the role and purpose of women in any 3 major religions. I have a slight idea of how to pursue this but I need some references to help me through. Does anyone know of at least 2 sites that I might be able to use for this? Islam and Buddism are the other 2 because the seem to contrast well against each other. It is due July 18. I am currently brainstorming to see whether I can even do this.

2011/7/2 16:32Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re: Role and Purpose of Women in Christianity

Hi deadn,

I have a few articles here..

http://www.womenofchristianity.com/?p=3098

http://www.womenofchristianity.com/?p=2593

http://www.womenofchristianity.com/?p=787

http://www.womenofchristianity.com/?p=384

If you have more questions. I would be glad to help!

THis is a very interesting topic. I would seriously love to read your paper when it's done. God bless. Will be praying for you! That He will guide and direct you into all truth, and help you to discern. and use this paper as a witness of His grace and power!

-Michelle

P.S. I really could talk for hours on this...I may even look it up myself. ;) - women in islam and Buddhism that is.

2011/7/2 18:04Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

oops that was supposed to be a private..message..

2011/7/2 18:04Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Thank you for the links. The more I ponder it all the more it makes me curious even without this class as well. In any case if I can get enough information together I will start it this next weekend. I have a 4 day week starting Thursday. Plus 3 quizzes and a test to deal with all in 3 weeks so I have ALOT on my plate with this.

2011/7/2 19:03Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
The more I ponder it all the more it makes me curious even without this class as well.

Amen. I did also notice that 3 of the 4 links I gave you are about women in the church. However your topic is roles and purpose of women christianity. Susannah Wesley is one of the most well known mothers in christianity. She had a great burden to teach and speak the Word to her children. Therefore produced great men of God such as Charles and John Wesley. Also, there are some many powerful women out there were a great help to there husbands. For instance, Susannah Spurgeon. And also the wife of Hudson Taylor and CT Studd. There are many.

Ginnyrose has posted on another thread about how there are so many roles and callings that a woman can partake of. Which is very true. https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39764&forum=48&10

"As Eve in the Garden focused on the fruit of the one tree she was forbidden to eat, so many who claim women should be priests and ordained ministers focus on Scripture's prohibition of women assuming authority over men. In doing so they ignore or demean the numerous roles and positions of ministry for women in the New Testament, including ministries of prayer, mentoring other Christians, supporting the Church leaders, showing hospitality, fellow-laboring as missionaries, instructing other women, evangelizing and sharing the Word with others, teaching children and helping those in need and distress. In these ministries of serving others, women in the earliest churches set a pattern and example followed by Christian women in ensuing centuries of the Church." - Diana Lynn Severence

Take care. and God bless you.

2011/7/4 18:01Profile
passerby

Re:

If your professor is unbeliever there maybe a strong view that these three religions have a very unfair treatment of women whether in sociopolitical, occupational, family, or church affairs.

2011/7/4 20:49Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

The religions I mentioned are ones I chose. He asks for at least 3 different religions. He wants to discuss the issue or women and religion, what type of gendered social calsss do other religions propose and how do they treat women. Also discuss the opinion poll that says more women consider themselves religious than men.

This is one topic out of four. This is the only one that I could remotely do any kind of essay on which is worth up to 20 points.

My professor, I don't know what his beliefs are but he is a criminology major. He doesn't communicate very well though. Out of 8 emails I have sent him He has responded to 3 and one of those was only half an answer.

THis class is intro to social science and there was a chapter in the book dealing with religion. The author sounds as if he might be athiestic since I have yet to read anything to do with Christianity without serious sarcasm built into the information.

2011/7/4 21:01Profile
passerby

Re:

I am reading the 'Wikipedia version' on Role of Women in Religion. Several religions were discussed with lots of links, some to specific 'christian sects'.

I think that would be just enough for an intro to social science subject. What would make it difficult is when one tries to deeply involve apologetics.

You can choose not to involve christianity if you want, and just describe the actual, prescriptive, and the traditional
role of women in a particular religion_if their had been changes, or if changes are imminent.

2011/7/4 22:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy