SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Put On - Put Off - The Old - The New -

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
passerby

Re:

The bible is our mirror and we reflect the image of a christian to the people around us, to our family, friends,
the church, and the world.

Mat 5:13 "You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet.

What sort of image are we reflecting today before our sons, our daughters, our little brothers, sisters, do we give them hope, light, the love of Christ.

2011/7/3 18:13Profile

Re:

Brother Murrcolr posted something beautiful on page one that I didn't want to get lost.

Amen and Thank you Brother.

--------------------------------------------------

"Heart Talks on Holiness" by Samuel Brengle

Some people imagine that Paul tells his best religious experience in Romans vii. 24, when he cries out, 'O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?' But the fact is, he is here describing his condition under the law, when, as a convicted sinner, the law showed him what he ought to do, but brought no power to deliver him from his guilty past and the corruptions of his own heart. However, in the eighth chapter he finds the secret of deliverance from the condemnation of the past and the Carnal mind, which prevent his doing the will of God on earth as the angels do it in heaven.

From that point he rises to such marvelous testimonies as, 'I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live -- I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me' (Gal. ii. 20). And through a consecration in which he counted all things loss for Christ and a faith by which he reckoned himself 'dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord' (Rom. vi. I t), he entered into an experience in which, as one has well said, he was 'free from a repining temper, for he had learned in every state therewith to be content. He was free from vanity, pride, and unsanctified ambitions, for he gloried only in the Cross of Christ. He was free from every feeling of resentment, for he was ready to die accursed by his enemies. He was free from selfishness, for he was ready to spend and be spent for those whose love diminished for him in proportion as his love abounded for them. He was free from covetousness, for he counted all things but dung and dross for Christ. He was free from unbelief, for he knew in Whom he had trusted, and was persuaded that nothing could separate him from the love of Christ. He was free from the fear of man, for stripes, imprisonment and martyrdom had no terrors -- being ready to be offered up. He was free from the love of the world having a desire to depart and to be with Christ. The absence of these corruptions implied the maturity of the graces of the Holy Spirit -- the fulness of love. Indeed, it was that love which constrained him, which cast out fear, and counteracted every tendency opposed to its hallowing influence.'

What a great salvation was this that Paul found through obeying the heavenly vision! It is ten million leagues beyond the poor little salvation from wrong doing which most people seek in order to escape hell. It is a salvation not only from sin, but from self; a divine union with God in Christ, so intimate
and so sacred that father and mother and wife and brother and sister and child, yea, and his own life, are all shut outside.

---

"Samuel Brengle tells that Paul salvation was not only from sin, but from self; a divine union with God in Christ...

To Put off the Old man you have put off SELF and put on CHRIST.....

Paul reminds us that "love" is the only thing which can enable us to obey God. "Love is the fulfilling of the Law." Romans 13:10

The more excellent way is love because love fulfils the law.

"Love suffereth long" -- it drives away all impatience.

"Love is kind" -- it leaves room for no unkindness.

"Love envieth not" -- all jealousy is banished.

"Love vaunteth not itself" --boasting and self-assertion disappear.

"Is not puffed-up" -- pride finds no place in the heart.

"Does not behave itself unseemly"-- folly goes.

"Seeketh not its own" -- "self" is dead -- selfishness will be unknown.

"Is not provoked" -- anger and wrath will not be seen.

"Taketh no account of evil" --brooding over so-called "wrongs" will be
no more. Malice and all uncharitableness are not found in the heart.

"Beareth all things" --complainings will never be heard.

"Hopeth all things" -- despair, anxiety, despondency go.

"LOVE NEVER FAILETH."

2011/7/9 1:06
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

"Love suffereth long" -- it drives away all impatience.

"Love is kind" -- it leaves room for no unkindness.

"Love envieth not" -- all jealousy is banished.

"Love vaunteth not itself" --boasting and self-assertion disappear.

"Is not puffed-up" -- pride finds no place in the heart.

"Does not behave itself unseemly"-- folly goes.

"Seeketh not its own" -- "self" is dead -- selfishness will be unknown.

"Is not provoked" -- anger and wrath will not be seen.

"Taketh no account of evil" --brooding over so-called "wrongs" will be
no more. Malice and all uncharitableness are not found in the heart.

"Beareth all things" --complainings will never be heard.

"Hopeth all things" -- despair, anxiety, despondency go.

"LOVE NEVER FAILETH."

All these are proceeded with Christ in view.

Christ in you never faileth. Like Christ is never puffed up. Christ suffered long. Christ did not seek His self will, etc.

In Christ: Phillip

2011/7/11 16:35Profile
DesertRose

Boston.MA

Re: Put On - Put Off - The Old - The New -

Always refreshing to read the scriptures.

I have been doing a study on what it means to love God with all my mind.

I like the way the Ephesians passage contrasts the vain mind and the renewed mind in Christ.

Here is a list of some things the Bible tells us to put off and put on.

http://www.lifeaction.org/static/uploads/media/pdf/summithandouts/Put_off_Put_on.pdf

2011/7/11 19:06Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy