SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : First Amendment Protects Violent Video Games to Minors

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
mama27

First Amendment Protects Violent Video Games to Minors

I am wondering what is next....

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/blogs/exclusive/why-supreme-court-says-first-amendment-protects-violent-171155072.html

2011/6/27 16:11Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: First Amendment Protects Violent Video Games to Minors

This is precisely what is confounding us to the point of our own shame and stupidity as a people. To us belongs shame and confusion of face because, in part, we can't figure out that not all speech is equal and therefore, not equally protected!

We claim(by virtue of possesing them in so great an abundance!) the moral authority to have the largest share of the most destructive weapons the World has ever known, and at the same time we lack the moral certainity to determine that children shouldn't be allowed to immitate acts of sex and brutality as a FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT!

No, CHILD ABUSE is not a protected freedom.

2011/6/27 20:26Profile
Renoncer

"The Supreme Court dismisses research that violence poses a threat to children, saying that it doesn't prove that violent video games cause children to act aggressively" Yahoo!News

I guess we will just disregard experiential learning! Have we forgotten about the malleability of the brain?

If children spend their days indulging in sinful passions - murder, rape, sexual immorality, theft, and so forth - for their entire life, their minds will be shaped accordingly by the time they reach adulthood.

For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot.
(Romans 8:7)

Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth... Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On account of these the wrath of God is coming.
(Colossians 3:2,5-6)

May God help us. Thankfully, He is still restraining evil at this moment. Imagine when God's hand of restraint will be loosened! (2 Thessalonians 2:7) There will be no shame, no restraint, no limits! Then, men will accomplish whatever evil they set their minds onto (see Genesis 11:6).

Depart, depart, go out from there; touch no unclean thing; go out from the midst of her; purify yourselves, you who bear the vessels of the LORD!
(Isaiah 52:11)

2011/6/27 21:09Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Is it not tragic when parents are looking for the courts to do their job, that of telling their children "NO! you cannot have this or that?" instead of taking a personal stand against it?

What is double tragic is when Christians will defend the use of these games. It did not start with electronic video games. There was Ouija boards long before any of these showed up as well as Dungeon and Dragons. And ghost stories...and....

Actually, I am beginning to see how it would be much better if godly parents could live in rural America on several acres of land with animals, fowls, growing their own food - doing things that will keep the children busy, so busy they will not have time for all this foolishness. Can't escape it all, I know. But living in town with nothing constructive to do puts children at risk for these vices.

Just a thought that has been going around and around in my mind lately. Actually, if you want to know, this idea was promoted much when I was a child back in the 50s and fell into disuse since then as more of our church people went to live in towns...

2011/6/28 17:23Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Is it not tragic when parents are looking for the courts to do their job, that of telling their children "NO! you cannot have this or that?" instead of taking a personal stand against it?

BTW, when I wrote this I had no one in mind. I was reacting to the prevailing mindset that exists out there.

Just wanted to clarify this - did not think about this until after I posted, recalling some parents do have problems. And we had plenty as well. I promise.

2011/6/28 19:49Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

"...doing things that will keep the children busy, so busy they will not have time for all this foolishness."

Ginny I think you make an excellent point. Idleness and bad company are a bad mixture, especially for children in urban areas that are allowed to roam freely, unsupervised, with access to various forms of mass transit.

Sunday night I was riding the bus home, it was as late as perhaps 10:30. A group of young girls got on the bus and sat nearby and began talking about a shooting that they or some people they know were just involved in.

Later on I found out that 3 girls had been shot. A local paper reported today that a 14 year old boy was attending an 'unsanctioned party' and was attacked by some other teens. The paper says the father of the boy took him back out to confront them. It says they beat him again, and then one began shooting and killed the father, hitting the three girls as well.

All told the paper reports that 33 people were shot over the weekend in the city, and 7 dead.

The start of the summer, it says.

The same evening, there was at least one incident of a mob of teens assalting people on the streets.

The Police Commissioner is qouted in the paper as saying "..it shows just how violent it can become on the streets of our city."

And why is that?

2011/6/28 19:54Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

More on violence and children...

I saved an edition of a local paper(the Philadelphia Inquirer) that ran late last March. It was part 3 of a 7 part series on violence in the cities puplic schools among children, children as young as 5 to 10 years old.

The headline reads:

Young and Violent, Even Kindergartners.

The article begins with the story of a ten year old boy who was charged with assault in Family Court. He punched his teacher in the face. Knocked her glasses off. And blackened her eye.

It describes other such incidents, all involving children 10 years old and younger:

One teacher suffered a concussion after being knocked to the ground by a ten year old boy who "body slammed" into her.

A 9 yr old "punched his pregnant teacher in the stomach".

Those were mild compared to the 3rd grade classroom where one child "held a knife against a classmate's throat and threatened to cut off his head if he snitched".

The article had some statistics:

They found that from 2005 to 2010 there were 12,131 "serious incidents" in the cities 177 elementary schools.

Of those, 71 percent( that's 8,556) were classified as assault.

Incidents involving weapons were the next highest percentage at 15 percent(1,780).

A letter written by staff members and parents of one North East school(the NE is known as one of the better parts of the city) to the cities Superintendent is qouted in part, saying:

"The fights and bullying that go on here every day... is horrible."

"We have had students swing at us, curse us out, threaten us that they will get our kids during school when we are breaking up fights in the morning and after school."

Of course, violence in games, movies, television and everywhere else has no effect on children.

Our violent entertainment culture may be trashy, but it has absolutely no effect on anyone in even the slightest way.

In fact, the violence that kids see and enact in their games, and on televsion, movies, and the internet is actually inspiring them all the time.

It is really uplifting.

The kids, they are soaring because of it.

Really. No kidding.

Sure.

2011/6/28 21:01Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy