SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Have I gone overboard??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Have I gone overboard??

rdg,

Quote:
Have I gone overboard??

Good question. I suggest you and your husband work together on this issue, but still knowing God is the final authority. I am saying this because there are husbands that like for their wives to dress like whores.

You need to know full well what the scriptures say about this issue. I suggest you study the NT first then go to the OT to get more enlightenment on this issue. Just know full well the devil will work against God on this question. And you cannot look at [many] Christians today to get inspiration for modesty. There are groups that promote it - God bless them, but the prevailing attitude amongst Christians is to dress like the world.

About color. I agree with your husband. But have some more to add. God made color so do not be scared of it. For more info, I will PM you on this issue.

There is one more thing I would like to encourage you to do and that is have you considered making your own clothes? If you decide to, you will find a whole new world out there that will challenge your creativity. There are merchants that sell sewing machines who will also teach sewing. Check it out. There are websites as well. While it may look overwhelming, do not fear - just know it is a whole different world out there that needs exploring. It is fun...I love to sew and wish I could spend all my time doing so. I love to buy fabric remnants and sew them up into girls dresses. (Remnants provokes ones creativity, hence my attraction to it.)

God bless and he will more abundantly if you feel your need for it! :-)

ginnyrose

2011/6/27 8:12Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

So for those of you sister who use makeup or do your hair, do you struggle with the cost? I really feel guilty buying a small eyeshadow that is priced anywhere from nine to eighteen dollars? Or getting my hair cut when it cost thirty dollars or more. I keep thinking about all the other things that I should be using the money on. As far as my clothes go I do understand what my husband is saying and think that maybe I could still be moderately dressed and not look so much like a teenage guy...As for my hair and makeup that is where I get more confused because there really does seem to be two different groups of thought on this topic.

Anyways thanks for your input...lots to think over and pray about.

rdg

2011/6/27 8:14Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
As for my hair

Are you aware of any Scripture that address the hair question?

And eye shadow - you can easily do without it! The scripture says the light of the body is the eye. Why mute it, darken it? Dark eyes reaffirms the darkness that resides in the soul!

You are asking good questions, rdg.

2011/6/27 8:28Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Quote:
As far as my clothes go I do understand what my husband is saying and think that maybe I could still be moderately dressed and not look so much like a teenage guy

As a husband, I would agree with this or like to encourage you in this area. First, I want to make clear that this is not a one-way street that only involves the ladies. Both husbands and wives should dress properly so as to be attractive for both their spouse and the Lord. This modest and neat attractiveness will not normally attract the attention of ungodly people. Elisabeth Elliot had a great message one time on ladies being feminine. I really believe the message of God, the gospel, is enhanced when men and women dress simply and reflect their genders explicitly as Christ opens this area up to them. They no longer follow the culture but God's plan for how they show themselves. There is a spiritual ministry that flows out of gender identification and role. Wish I had time to write a book on this, but there are references to this in both testaments.

Quote:
As for my hair and makeup that is where I get more confused because there really does seem to be two different groups of thought on this topic.

There is only one group that counts--God. If you get in his group, you will no longer need to worry what all of the other groups are trying to tell you. Continue to seek that path where your spirit is at rest with his. Meditate on the Spirit--holy, gentle, moderate, pure. He will lead you into all truth.

2011/6/27 9:14Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Quote:
It seems to me sister, you have went too far. . . . When we try to be light from the outside in, this " light," becomes the darkness of the pharisee. ......... brother Frank

I didn't get the sense at all that this sister is on the path of the Pharisees. Although I can't tell, because I haven't spoken with her, there seems to be some witness of God doing a work here. The gospel and God always, always involve change. God will change us from where we are to where he wants us to be, if we let him.

Of course, I don't believe in a gospel where God is not permitted to address our clothing. I believe Christ is most exalted in the life where he is allowed to be Lord of all, the great and the small.

2011/6/27 9:22Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
There is a spiritual ministry that flows out of gender identification and role. Wish I had time to write a book on this,

Sounds like this could be an interesting read, although it will likely be controversial, as it is when discussing male/female roles...:-(

2011/6/27 9:31Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"To walk in Jesus is to walk in freedom. There is a balance in all things."

There are many women in the church today that definetly do not have this problem of dressing too modestly, but on the other hand, many have gone to the opposite extreme, and to tell you the truth, they could use a little help.

My wife went for a season where she quit wearing make up, and I told her that she looked much better before.

There is a particular denomination where the women do not wear any make up or cut their hair, yet the men are dressed to the hilt. I find this to be somewhat hypocritical.

As Frank pointed out, that in matters of dress we are free, but let us not use our freedom to be a stumbling block to others. Let all things be done for the glory and honor of the Lord.

Mike

2011/6/27 9:31Profile

Hi rdg, We as Christians DO go overboard when God speaks to us about anything He tells us. As children we really don't know when to stop. There are some really beautiful women's clothes out there that are both feminine and discreet. I too like to see my wife take care of herself. I am not against makeup but one can go too far with it though, Rouge is too far.

If you were wearing miniskirts before the moderate approach is to get something that goes down just past your knees so that when you sit down the dress is still just down past your knees. If you were wearing high heels, the moderate approach is to find something that is half that size. You still want to look good, you just don't want to be the main attraction. Even looking sloppy can bring attention to yourself. If you were wearing tons of makeup, the moderate approach could be to wear none, but....you could use it for touch ups, again, not to overly do it. If you were styling your hair at every whipstitch, the moderate approach would be to let it grow at least to your shoulders and make it look good, just don't spend an hours on it. Nothing wrong in using a curling iron. My sister uses the curling iron and she's done in less than ten minutes.

There is nothing wrong in perfumes, creams, etc.., just use them in moderation.

As far as clothes are concerned, Jeans and T's and sweat pants should be worn at home. Dress pants, suits, dresses, blouses etc.. should be worn in and out of home.

The main thing that the Lord speaks to us about these things is why we were wearing what we wore before and how it affected us and those around us. When we discovered the reasons we immediately abandon and cut off everything and yet that is not the best approach when it comes to attire. We need to make better choices.

The same applies to food. Do we stop eating food because it's making us fat? No! We need to make better choices in what is good for us that will promote health and longevity.

As a woman, wearing baggy clothes and not keeping yourself looking good will wear off in time and you will get frustrated with God and His policies and begin to resent Him. He will answer, "I didn't tell you stop doing any of these things, I told you to be more modest".

There are skin tight clothes and there are clothes that just hang and there are baggy clothes that look clownish. The modest approach would be the dress that hangs.

There is no law against using these things. Peter's admonition to women was not to tell them they can't have these things, he was telling them not to get caught up on the exterior while leaving the interior destitute. You can have a balance.

2011/6/27 11:23

Re:

Quote:
As for my hair and makeup that is where I get more confused because there really does seem to be two different groups of thought on this topic.

This is a critical moment here rg because what the Lord had intended is becoming more than what it is.

The Lord intended you to just to cut back and be more modest.

That means to cut back on how much you were using before. Modesty is to pull back to a safer distance.

My counsel is to stop asking any more opinions on what to do with your body and attire and to cut back on what you were using before.

I have another sister that is constantly asking for opinions about situations that she finds herself in. She is one confused girl. She used to think for herself, solve problems, have answers on the tip of her tongue and now she can't even do any of those things for herself, she is always looking for the opinion of others.

2011/6/27 11:41
followthelamb

In Christ

Online!

"I began praying about things and well God just really got a hold of my heart and so I got rid of more then half my wardrobe, got rid of all my makeup, and haircare stuff and really felt the need to obey God on modesty and other issues."

Bless you dear sister, for true modesty that is pleasing to God our Father is that modesty that springs from a heart regenerated by His grace alone. And though it may seem to be so much trial and error for a while, He will faithfully bring you to the balance most pleasing to Him, your husband, and you.

I went through a very similar experience of the Holy Spirit convicting my heart about the areas of modesty and submission after my conversion. A few years having gone by, I have never felt His leading as strongly and as joyfully as I do now in this and in every area. To dress immodestly/sensuously dishonors His holy name and can throw treacherous stumbling blocks before the brethren. Heartbreakingly, in our modern culture many true believers dress immodestly without even realizing it and praise God for He does look at the heart.

Still....the issue of modesty and purity inwardly and outwardly is something important and precious in His sight, just as a "meek and quiet spirit" is. So I just want to encourage you as you continue to follow Him... that you would know how loved you are, that you would keep looking to and trusting in Him and His Word. He will bring you to that balance of dressing in a way that honors Him and which avoids the pitfalls of both immodesty or of appearing slovenly.

Regarding make-up. :) In my own walk with the Lord, He has opened my heart to understand that wearing a modest amount of make-up is no more a sin than it would be to plant flowers in your front yard to make it more lovely and cheerful. It seems to me that it is not vanity to take care of our appearance since we are His temple and His representatives in this fallen world. The problem is that many attend more to their outward appearance and earthly life than their inner man and their relationship with God and His kingdom. Dear sister, this is obviously not the case with you as it is evident that your heart is seeking to please and honor Him. :)

May His love and peace compass you about as you follow Him ever onward!

2011/6/27 16:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy