SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is the purpose for a believer to turn from sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
passerby

Re:

Quote:
Brother Passerby does one on their death bed who accepts the Lord, must there be a complete life change in their short moment of remaining life? I would say that's up to God but their attitude towards God and sin most definitely needs to change (repentance).

The changes in the believer's life will be in accordance to the plan, counsel, sanctifying, and persevering work of God. That is why we have to go slow in judging our brothers, but help one another along the way.

Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

_What if God will grant salvation to a man who remembered to ask for His mercy but only in his deathbed?

Let it be, a million times and more, it really doesn't matter for we are all saved by His grace and mercy alone.

Hi Matthew, The Lord bless you and your family.

2011/6/25 8:30Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Glad we are on the same page :) Bless you and your family as well!

2011/6/25 8:49Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: What is the purpose for a believer to turn from sin?

1Jn 3:1-10 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. (2) Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. (3) And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. (4) Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. (5) And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. (6) Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. (7) Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. (8) He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. (9) Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. (10) In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

Whose your daddy??? The son does as his Father for it is the Father who has brought redemption, regeneration, and the infilling of the Holy Spirit to empower.

2011/6/25 9:27Profile
passerby

Re:

Thanks Matt.

I am trying to go along with what the original poster said (hello sir Old_Joe):

Quote:
...it is not to 'hang on to salvation' nor 'give evidence of salvation'...

The first statement one can easily agree, the second if 'give evidence' is to show everyone about how good and obedient we are, then we are really missing the point.

That 'obedience' is among the proof of regeneration is just an statement of the fact about salvation, but it is not 'all
or none'.

Sanctification to which obedience is an essential part is a process which humans may perceive as one that is radical or
one that seems so slow that humans loose patience.

But His thoughts is higher than our thoughts and His ways are higher than our ways. Each one of us is unique, the Lord had already foreseen us before the foundation of the world our failures, our sin, our backsliding.

Luk 22:31 "Simon, Simon, listen! Satan has asked permission to sift all of you like wheat,

Luk 22:32 but I have prayed for you that your own faith may not fail. When you have turned back, you must strengthen your brothers."

And those experiences we have in this life will work toward our sanctification through His 'persevering work' in us.

2011/6/25 10:00Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: What is the purpose for a believer to turn from sin?

To glorify God!

2011/6/25 10:06Profile

Re:

Old Joe requested that I take up these verses on this thread rather than the one I posted them on, with my question -

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Joh 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

2011/6/25 12:35
passerby

Re:

Obedience as proof of regeneration is plain and apparent.

But let me post some thought provoking questions: obey what, obey who, what is obedience, what commandments, and as asked what for.

2011/6/25 19:11Profile

Re:

Thank you Travis for your post. Amen!
Unless He's assigned another authority or 'voice' to answer all of our questions, 'His' Word is still The final authority.

Passerby, to answer your questions and Joe's - get your Bible and put your thumb on Matthew Chpt 1 and then your index finger on the end of Revelation Chpt 22.
Now squeeze those two fingers together.
Do you see what a tiny Book the New Testament is?

2011/6/26 14:23

Re:

Quote:
To glorify God!

Spoken in the positive, yes! Or to speak in the negative,'so the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed'.

It has NOTHING to do with our evidence of salvation, which evidence is that we believe the record God bare of his Son; nor has it anything to do with our overcoming or persevering to hold on to, or show our salvation being held.

The Christian turns from sin for the benefit of another not for the benefit of self, and does so out of desire, ,NOT fear, nor duty nor obligation. THIS is what love is, and the turning from sin is to put that love on display that all the world may glorify God for this work in such a venomous creature.

OJ

2011/6/27 18:04

Re:

Quote:

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

When we see the depth of the commandments in Matt 5-6 we see that NONE keep the commandments in their fullness, and are to be reminded that none ever do. To KEEP God's commandments one is to understand that these commandments condemn them, and that none can ever be justified before God in/by adhering to them, but that God can be justified before other men by a man's desire to adhere to something so opposed to his very nature.

I keep the commandments when I understand that they condemn me, which in turn throws me back upon the very Saviour who came to deliver me from that condemnation. In turn for His so great salvation I henceforth desire to do what I can to bring glory to His name, knowing I can never adhere to that which He did on my behalf.

OJ

2011/6/27 18:20

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy