SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is the purpose for a believer to turn from sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

What is the purpose for a believer to turn from sin?

There is a purpose but it is not to 'hang on to salvation' nor 'give evidence of salvation' so what is the purpose for a believer to turn from sin?

OJ

2011/6/25 2:56

Re: What is the purpose for a believer to turn from sin?

Hi Joe. You referred me to this thread but I have to give up on the first half of your sentence and just answer the question part from my heart ... both Love & Reverence.

The thought came to me after reading these two statements and one question in one sentence about why I'm living where I am. My earthly, soon to be 93 y.o. father asked me to move near-by him. I left a town and church and more that I loved more than life to do what he asked because I love him and whatever he asks me to do, I jump to do it because, plain and simply, I just love him and respect him for who he is.

I'm trying to witness to Dad as well. He's a tough nut to crack. One day the only thing that I could think to say to him of why he should acknowledge Jesus, was to ask him a short question. I asked him, "Dad, what if you took a bullet for me and died and I just waved it/you off, as if to say, who cares?"

Joe, what do I do if my Dad asks me to drive slower while he's in the car, but I like to drive fast?

But using Dad as an example isn't sufficient, because a believer is indwelled by the Spirit of GOD Who enables us.
For it is GOD that worketh in you both to will and to do of His Good pleasure.
That's the verse that follows, '...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling' - which can be another verse that could go with the others in my question to you on the other thread.

His Love to you & yours.

2011/6/25 4:08
mguldner

Kansas

Love :)

Also I don't particularly know if I would without Christ dwelling in me, without Christ I would cling to sin with great frevency.

No, turning from Sin shouldn't be a prove or a means to hold onto salvation but in reality is our Salvation and its something that Christ works in us naturally like a seed grows into a tree and that tree grows and produces tasty fruit.

Matthew 1:21"And she shall bring forth a Son, and thou shalt call His name JESUS, for He shall save His people from THEIR SINS." (caps added)

2011/6/25 4:37Profile
gazzer

Re:

well jesus him self said unless you to repent you will like wise perish

so one of the main reasons would be so we dont perish in hell forever

but if we look at it in another way ,,,the bible say covertus is idoarty ,,,,,,so that in its self is a god ,,,so we need to turn from the false god of covertus,and turn to the living god ,and stop disrespecting and insulting the living god

it is and insult to the living god to refuse to repent and remain in an idolartus relaionship,,,,

so another reason to repent is to please god ,and stop insulting him ,,,,,,and provocking him to jelousy

there is great reasons to repent

it is simpley a command from god ,, purpose to show obedence

bless you

2011/6/25 4:46Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, if a man who has a wife and is faithfull because he doesnt want to get caught and wind up in court might just fall if on a business trip in europe. a man who loves his wife greatly will not even think of damaging their relationship.jimp love has power and fear has torment.jimp

2011/6/25 6:43Profile
Enochh

Indianapolis

The long and the short answer are always the same. You can try to intellectualize almost anything on SI. Man exist to Glorify God,..God is glorified in the process of our salvation, our repentance, in our turning from sin and turning to Him. He orchestrates it from begining to end "For it is He that is at work in you both to will and to do His good pleasure"

2011/6/25 6:50Profile

To partake of Christ

"Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end; While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation." (Hebrews 3:12-15)

This passage shows that sin and unbelief go together. If we could truly believe in Christ while holding onto sin than the devils could be saved too (James 2:19).

This is seen again in John 3:18-20: "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." (John 3:18-20)

2011/6/25 7:02
ginnyrose

Mississippi

When a body worships something, this object assumes the position as a role model in the life of this individual - one sees this all over the place - consider the impact Hollywood has on people. People are followers of something or somebody. We want to emulate the life of the person we admire because it appears he is superior to us and we want to attain to that position as well, if possible.

In this case the object of our worship is God. We love, admire him, consider Him all-wise and since this is the case we do want to learn from Him. If He says no, we will agree; if he says do, we want to do. If He hates, we will want to hate as well. When He says love, we will strive for it, too. However, in the case of God He will also enable us to be what he wants from us which is a huge difference between Him and any other role model in our lives.

To answer your question, I would say it is worship.

2011/6/25 7:07Profile
passerby

Re:

Let's face it, a change life is the proof that one is really converted, this is plainly taught in the bible.

Joh 3:8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit."

Salvation is the work of God:

-the plan
-the conditions
-the proof

are plainly laid down in the bible.

The conditions are different from the proof, the sinner's prayer, 'accepting', 'believing', repentance, etc_ or whatever you want to call it, their authenticity can only be validated by a new life with God.

2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

However, let's us not judge so easily regarding other people's salvation, rather let us point this question to ourselves.

And in examining the proof let us remember that the way we love God and the way we love and treat our brethren and the sinners_as well as the fruit of the Spirit are of the highest order.

2011/6/25 7:41Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Well Christ is our Salvation and the condition is Come unto me.

A changed life is proof of santification. Salvation is by Grace alone and was finished with Christ Jesus on the Cross and then Risen from the tome.

We are 100% saved at conversion and at conversion our Santification begins. Brother Passerby does one on their death bed who accepts the Lord, must there be a complete life change in their short moment of remaining life? I would say that's up to God but their attitude towards God and sin most definitely needs to change (repentance).

"My hope is built on nothing less that Jesus' blood and HIS righteousness"

2011/6/25 7:54Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy