SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Feeling closed off by all the dark gloomy skies

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

Feeling closed off by all the dark gloomy skies

I have a question, recently we moved away from Reno Nevada where the weather is for the most part sunshine and bright blue skies. I use to take for granted all that beautiful sunshine(lived there for 33 years) and now where I live in CT. there is a lot less sunshine. In fact we get so much rain and cloudy gray weather that I find myself really struggling with feeling hopeless at times and just down. I don't seem to be able to find the same kind of joy that I did before moving here. Its as if these dark skies compound the feeling of just how much the world has suck into sin, at times its just so dark I miss the sun filled skies. I know this sounds crazy but has anyone else ever struggled with this kind of thing? I realize that my relationship with the LORD is not based on the weather and yet when the skies are so dark apart of me feels further from HIM. I guess it just has me thinking of hell more and just wanting to really be sharing and praying with those around me their need, our need for JESUS!

anyway thanks for letting me share this, its dark and gloomy here again for the third day now so if you feel led to pray for me to just remember the LORD is my light, that would be great!

God Bless
maryjane

2011/6/23 11:34Profile

Re: Feeling closed off by all the dark gloomy skies

Hi MaryJane. I lived in CT for 20 yrs and I don't know how long you've lived there, but it's what would be deemed "normal" weather there. I only live across the State line from you, so our weather is identical here.
What you need is to experience a real drought, where the sun never goes away and burns the leaves on the lilac bushes, the flowers, grass and so forth and as soon as you walk out your door, you feel like you're being hit by microwaves. This happened in 2002 where I was living before and I'll never stop Praising GOD for the rain and cloudy skies ever since.
I've always loved "weather", but a drought is more like Hell than anything I've ever experienced. It was scarey actually.
My closest friends still live in CT and all we say is that it makes us a bit sleepy or more sluggish but knowing that He brings rain and sunshine, it seems it's just a matter of excepting what He feels is best.
We've got outrageous flooding and people losing their homes and everything they owned in the central states. And fires from drought in a few other states, and so, you and I have a few cloudy rainy days. I'm sure those in the fire and flood zones would be more than happy to switch places with us. Complaining about the weather is complaining about His decisions. When the sun is out - it's HOT this time of year up here and Heat is not my friend but we've got to take what comes. We're not in Heaven yet and we've got a LOT to go through before we see Him return to earth and bless creation to what will be perfect. We seldom see tornados up here as well. Truly, CT has it's share of too many sunny days as well.
Try to enjoy these days and Thank Him it's not a drought with a scorching sun and just rest on these days. It can stay over 100 in CT for days on end and with our humidity up here - that's more like Hell than rainy days - believe me. I didn't have A/C when I lived in CT. Oh boy!

Rainy days are a neat time to do the things that can't be done on scorching days -- like take a nap and pray He'll minister to you while you do or just read His Love Letters :)

GOD Bless you as we share our common weather together.
Do yo hear the thunder over your way yet? I like thunder - reminds me of how He speaks sometimes.
Shalom~Shalom, Sister!

2011/6/23 12:05
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Gray weather is depressing. I do love to watch the dark couds as the storms are coming. Here in Florida it will be very strong sunlight on the field of green and the clouds hanging low and black. It is a stunning contrast, it is usually at that time a rainbow will show.

When it is just gray and overcast for days there is not much chance of seeing a rainbow, that is depressing.

What is even more depressing, we have had the clouds come every day but they drop no rain. The heat is oppressive. The humidity so high the air seems to drip water droplets.

You can Google 'Depression+gray skies' and get more info, it is a real symptom. From what I have read & heard The Pacific North West has a very high depression tally.

You will get some sunny days. There has to be sunny days or nothing would grow there. In a while you will probably come to love the difference between there and where you used to live. Remember, this is not our home.

white stone

2011/6/23 12:32Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Thank you both for responding to my thread. I do think perhaps I am missing where I use to live and that is a part of it. I have not had much luck finding fellowship here and that does make one feel a bit more isolated.

Coming from Nevada to here has been a huge change but God has been growing me and I know my faith and trust in HIM has grown so much. I think that the darkness is what gets to me most, not so much the weather itself but just the dark gray skies.

You are right White_stone this is not our home and one day I will stand with all of you in HIS light praising HIS name forever and that is something to be very joyous over:)

God bless
maryjane

2011/6/23 12:54Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Mary Jane,

I am just wondering if it is the weather that is causing a heaviness in you or is it the spiritual atmosphere of the region that you are in.

I know that there are regions of our nation where there is not much prayer and intercession taking place where it seems like there is a closed heaven over the place. On the other hand where there is prayer and intercession going on the atmosphere is very different.

I have noticed this spiritual atmosphere change in the prisons where at one time there was much oppresion and heaviness, and now that the Word has been going forth with praise and worship for sometime, it is much easier to break through the resistance.

Mike

2011/6/23 13:14Profile

Re:

There are very few Churches in CT and it's one of the most 'spiritually cold' States around and that's exactly why I moved from there. Agreed! But from what I gather, it's getting difficult for folks to find good fellowship almost everywhere now.
I just think we need to stick to what our Jesus has to say on all topics.
The world has a reason for depression in every thing under the sun or clouds because it helps to sell antidepressants.
There's their "Seasonal Disorder" and so forth, to where there's no end of reasons for us to feel "depressed" and that's the world's reasoning and motive for pushing their reasoning$.
Rejoice in the LORD Always and again I say Rejoice.
Remember the patience of Job.
Etc. etc.
His Word has the Only Answers to all our 'uncomfortableness', ungratefulness and so forth, and surely not the world. If we are ungrateful or don't learn to be content in whatever state we find ourselves in - the problem is in us and not our environment.

Do people get mad at others for desiring His Best for all of His Children - which is from His Word alone? I believe in this generation, we're seeing that reaction and looking toward other voices instead of His, as the way to be accepted by more people.

Will be praying that whatever state that any of us find ourselves in - we, like Paul, will somehow learn to be content.
I miss the south as well Sis. This part of NY is just like CT spiritually ... but all things work together for good for those who love GOD and are called according to His Purpose in order to conform us to His Image.
He has a purpose for where we are. Sometimes it's just so that we'll learn to be content no matter what happens around us. I say to myself - to unpamper us. Phil 4:11-13.
Thinking of the persecuted Church and the starvation and wars, tsunamis etc, etc in other coutries where our brothers and sisters are suffering, helps me to get through and the thought of how things will only get worse upon this earth before He comes, so I had better learn to lean on Him and what He's written while we still have the freedom.

GOD knows we haven't seen 'suffering' as others have, and are right now. LORD forgive our self focus and complaining against what You allow.
Thank You for the rain and cooled weather LORD, in Jesus Name! LORD, make us all grateful people, no matter what - even if we have to continue to go it alone with just You and even in any true suffering - as some of us, even on this forum, are right now suffering much physical pain.
Show us our many blessings so that we not lose sight of all that we Do have from Your Hand LORD. Thank You Father, Amen!

2011/6/23 13:30

Re:

Brother Mike, can you picture the "spiritual atmosphere" in the countries like Haiti where many Saints of the Most High GOD are living and Praising Him right now?
How many testimonies do we hear from these countries of how powerful The Church is under persecution and heavy spiritual oppression and opposition.

Paul and Silas, singing in Prison.
Richard Wurmbrand in solitary confinement - far underground in that cell for 3 yrs.

We NEED to be more than conquerers. We cannot imagine that we cannot pray under some mild form of spiritual coldness.
This part of the country - CT and UpState NY and areas like these are spiritually cold - mainly Catholic if any religion at all. You'd be better off in NYC than here.

My point being - where do we find what we say, in The First Church's Teachings? How was what we are saying "lived out" by our only examples - the Apostles?

The closest thing we have to what the first Church lived through and wrote about is what the Saints are living through in the persecuting nations.
If we can't pray anywhere in the U.S. Now - how are we going to get through persecution when it comes?

I just don't see much of the first Church in this present church, except for those being persecuted or truly suffering - nor this generation sticking to His Word alone for our counsel.
I don't see the counsel being giving as being from His Word nor the examples of the First Church and men like Wurmbrand and men like him. Even women like Blandina.
It's a whimpy church for the most part, that sees demons behind every door knob and has multiple complaints and excuses for everything they don't feel comfortable with, that comes from His Hand. Oh LORD we are so far removed from what You intended for the last days Overcoming Church. Please GOD, show us our absolute need to return to Your Word alone and not our feelings. Make us The Church Victorious that hears Your Voice Only - in Jesus our Conquering King we pray, Amen.

2011/6/23 14:13
ginnyrose

Mississippi

MaryJane,

Welcome to gray clouds and rainy weather! :-)

In my part of the country, which is farm country, periods of drought are times of great concern. We begin to get concerned if it doesn't rain for three weeks.

What you were used to and what is essential for other parts of the country are in conflict, I see.

Still, the depression you talked about is real. There is a name for it, but it escapes me. In any case, when you have cloudy weather for days, or when the weather is changing from sunny to dreary, it does impact a person's mood, even children. We are more inclined to get restless, irritable, grouchy - "no body loves me guess I'll go eat worms" - feelings. But let the sun come out and shine, suddenly our spirits lift. This process has been observed by schoolteachers and parents alike.

But, this too, shall pass...just go make cookies when it happens. The aroma will lift your spirits! :-)

And God is still on the throne...which is why He gave you the ability to make cookies!

2011/6/23 17:50Profile
MaryJane

Re:

ginnyrose

Thank you sis for that great advice, making cookies always lifts ones spirits :)

Coming from Nevada(high desert area) I was use to long periods of no rain and lots of bright blue sun filled skies. I know there are areas that need the rain and I have seen several bad droughts so I know what that is like to go through. When we first moved here there was no rain for the first few weeks and we thought it strange that people were so upset because two weeks had passed with out rain. We were use to going for several months at a time without rain. Its just so different. I do think I need more adjustment time, but I know God is still in control and that gives me real joy to think about!

God bless
maryjane

2011/6/23 18:32Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"We NEED to be more than conquerers. We cannot imagine that we cannot pray under some mild form of spiritual coldness.
This part of the country - CT and UpState NY and areas like these are spiritually cold - mainly Catholic if any religion at all. You'd be better off in NYC than here."

Amen sister! I agree with you. We are called to be overcomers and to rise above our circumstances and the way that we feel. That is why God puts His children in dark places. He has a work for them to do, and the light will certainly overcome the darkness. Paul and Silas were in a very dark place in an old dungy prison. They were in chains. The situation looked rather bleak, and the Word says that at midnight they began to sing praises to the Lord. The Lord shook that place and gave them deliverance. He wants to do the same for His children who find themselves to be ovewhelmed with the cares of this life.

I live in Louisiana and we have been in a drought along with Texas. The last few days we have been getting much needed soaking rain. Praise the Lord! I will take the clouds and the rain any day rather than having no rain at all.

Mike

2011/6/23 18:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy