SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : intercession and praise

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
staff

intercession and praise

Hi all,I have a question on intercession prayer.Does singing or praising help with intercession?Are their any scriptures to support this?Thanks for your help Staff

2011/6/20 17:35Profile
jimp

Re: intercession and praise

hi,the BURDEN of intercession is a heavy burden that God puts on us to stand in the gap for someone else. len ravenhill told me that prayer is preoccupation with our needs and praise is preoccupation with Gods answering my needs and worship is preoccupation with God for who He is.jimp

2011/6/20 23:59Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

A scripture that comes to mind is in 2 Timothy 2v1.
'Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men'.

Doesn't mention praise but giving of thanks.

Don't know if this helps.

God bless.

2011/6/21 1:58Profile
gazzer

personaly the way i understand it iswhen we talking about
intesesion ,which is suplecation ,which is begging god
i dont think at that acualy time we are in the spirit of intersesion , we can literaly sing ,it would be imposable

we probable can grone praises towards god , but i dont think i have ,,maby after or before intersesion we would praise and sing in joy

but at the verry time of suplication ,the focase is on some bodys salvation and indirectly upon knowing gods presence at the same time ,,and in this spirtual state ,it seems imposable to sing and praise god alone ,becasue of where our atention is directed by the holy spirit,,,who at this time is literaly causing us to pray,and even grone deepley with tears ,and pray with words that as the bible says can not be uttered

so no i dont think so ,but before and after seems to when the prasies occour ,,bless you brother gary

2011/6/21 5:43Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
by staff
Hi all,I have a question on intercession prayer. Does singing or praising help with intercession? Are their any scriptures to support this? Thanks for your help Staff

A scripture that comes to mind in the Old Testament is when God sent the singers/praisers in before the warriors with Jehoshaphat!

Each individual person who goes deeply into prayer (intercession) does things differently. God did not create us to be cookie-cutter intercessors! I have sung in the Spirit (in tongues), just about did an indian war dance (minus the woo wooing) in my living room, and I've been overcome with with grief unimaginable while interceding at different times.... it truly depends on who and what you are interceding for and how the Holy Spirit leads you.

In the end, you do what the Lord leads YOU to do, not what He has told other people to do. There are some things that God does leave up to us... how deep in intercession are you willing to go for someone or something (i.e. your country, your marriage, etc).

God bless you,
Sister Lisa

2011/6/21 8:57Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Make a joyful shout to the LORD, all you lands!
Serve the LORD with gladness;
Come before His presence with singing.
Know that the LORD, He is God;
It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves;[a]
We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.

Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,
And into His courts with praise.
Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.
For the LORD is good;
His mercy is everlasting,
And His truth endures to all generations. (Psalm 100:1-5).

If we are going to be effective intercessors, we must come into the presence of God. We must have that connection with Jesus Christ who is seated at the right hand of the Father, and ever lives to make intercession for us.

All true intercession is coming in contact with the Lord, getting His heart and mind, and praying His will back to Him. Praise and worship have a vital part in intercession, because He is the one that we are ministering to, and the overflow of this ministry will be effective prayer.

Mike

2011/6/21 9:09Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Quote:
Does singing or praising help with intercession?Are their any scriptures to support this?

Hello dear one,
This is a great question.
Following the Biblical principle that whatever we do should be to the glory of God. If the Golden Rule is what constitutes the relationship between God’s creation, certainly this rule “Praise” is what constitutes the relationship between God and man.
Look at the following biblical example of praise and intercession linked together ;
11And Moses made supplications to the LORD his God, and said, LORD, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with GREAT POWER, and with a MIGHTY HAND?
12Wherefore should the EGYPTIANS SPEAK, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against THY PEOPLE.
13REMEMBER Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, THY SERVANTS, to whom thou SWAREST BY THINE OWN SELF, and saidst unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit it for ever.
14And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

Moses here pleads to God on behalf of the people using the character of God as the foundation of his intercession. This is a form of praise. Praise is a lot more than we think
To remind God of His covenant promises, and oaths is praise.
To remind Him of His great acts of the past is praise.
To plead with Him on the bases of His glory among the heathens.

For example: If you are praying for someone’ salvation, it is important to know the reason for doing so. The reason should always be that God may receive the glory, When someone is saved from the camp of the Enemy to the camp of the living God, God receives the glory. When we pray that the church of God may be purged and purified that the world may see her works and glorify God in heaven. When we pray for the healing of someone, the reason should be that God’s mighty arm that created the world out of nothing may be manifested in subduing sickness and affliction which is the consequence of sin.
When we pray for revival. How do we pray?
This is the Biblical example of such prayer:
Oh that thou wouldest rend the heavens, that thou wouldest come down, that the mountains might flow down at thy presence, 2 As when the melting [1] fire burneth, the fire causeth the waters to boil, TO MAKE THY NAME KNOWN to thine adversaries, that the nations may tremble at thy presence! 3 When thou didst terrible things which we looked not for, thou camest down, the mountains flowed down at thy presence. 4 For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, [2] O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him.

When we pray for the persecuted church that she would show great love to her persecutors that they may be won to God, that she would be faithful to the end, that the enemy the Devil may not win the victory. That persecution may do its perfect work of purging and purifying her that the world may see a pure bride and glorify God .

When we pray for the evangelization of the world, why do we do it?
The reason must be that God’s creation that was corrupted by sin would come back to worship, and adore their creator and live to the end for which they were created, that the Lamb that was slain may receive the reward of His suffering.

Praise should be the beginning and the end of every prayer. It is the ultimate end for every virtue, the foundational rock for every plea, Praise is the recognition of God’s sovereignty. It is the final theme of heaven.

Every prayer that does not have praise as its foundation is amiss, spent on one’s own lust and for his glory. It is an abomination to the Lord.

Passages of praise from the Scriptures.
Psalm 124
If it had not been the Lord who was on our side, now may Israel say; 2 If it had not been the Lord who was on our side, when men rose up against us: 3 Then they had swallowed us up quick, when their wrath was kindled against us: 4 Then the waters had overwhelmed us, the stream had gone over our soul: 5 Then the proud waters had gone over our soul.
6 Blessed be the Lord, who hath not given us as a prey to their teeth. 7 Our soul is escaped as a bird out of the snare of the fowlers: the snare is broken, and we are escaped. 8 Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth.

Psalm 117
Notice that thanksgiving and praise are closely linked.

O praise the Lord, all ye nations: thank him, all ye people. 2 For his merciful kindness is great toward us: and the truth of the Lord endureth for ever. Praise ye the Lord.

Psalm 104

Bless the Lord, O my soul. O Lord my God, thou art very great; thou art clothed with honour and majesty. 2 Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment: who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain: 3 Who layeth the beams of his chambers in the waters: who maketh the clouds his chariot: who walketh upon the wings of the wind: 4 Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire: 5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever. 6 Thou coveredst it with the deep as with a garment: the waters stood above the mountains. 7 At thy rebuke they fled; at the voice of thy thunder they hasted away. 8 They go up [1] by the mountains; they go down by the valleys unto the place which thou hast founded for them. 9 Thou hast set a bound that they may not pass over; that they turn not again to cover the earth.
10 He sendeth the springs into the valleys, which run among the hills. 11 They give drink to every beast of the field: the wild asses quench [2] their thirst. 12 By them shall the fowls of the heaven have their habitation, which sing [3] among the branches. 13 He watereth the hills from his chambers: the earth is satisfied with the fruit of thy works. 14 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth; 15 And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil [4] to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart. 16 The trees of the Lord are full of sap; the cedars of Lebanon, which he hath planted; 17 Where the birds make their nests: as for the stork, the fir trees are her house. 18 The high hills are a refuge for the wild goats; and the rocks for the conies.
19 He appointed the moon for seasons: the sun knoweth his going down. 20 Thou makest darkness, and it is night: wherein all the beasts [5] of the forest do creep forth. 21 The young lions roar after their prey, and seek their meat from God. 22 The sun ariseth, they gather themselves together, and lay them down in their dens. 23 Man goeth forth unto his work and to his labour until the evening. 24 O Lord, how manifold are thy works! in wisdom hast thou made them all: the earth is full of thy riches. 25 So is this great and wide sea, wherein are things creeping innumerable, both small and great beasts. 26 There go the ships: there is that leviathan, whom thou hast made [6] to play therein. 27 These wait all upon thee; that thou mayest give them their meat in due season. 28 That thou givest them they gather: thou openest thine hand, they are filled with good. 29 Thou hidest thy face, they are troubled: thou takest away their breath, they die, and return to their dust. 30 Thou sendest forth thy spirit, they are created: and thou renewest the face of the earth.
31 The glory of the Lord shall endure for ever: the Lord shall rejoice in his works. 32 He looketh on the earth, and it trembleth: he toucheth the hills, and they smoke. 33 I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being. 34 My meditation of him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the Lord. 35 Let the sinners be consumed out of the earth, and let the wicked be no more. Bless thou the Lord, O my soul. Praise ye the Lord.

Psalm 19
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. 2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. 3 There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. 4 Their line [1] is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun, 5 Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race. 6 His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
7 The law [2] of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. 8 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. 9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true [3] and righteous altogether. 10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. [4] 11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward. 12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults. 13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great [5] transgression. 14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, [6] and my redeemer.

Isaiah 63
Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious [1] in his apparel, travelling in the greatness of his strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save. 2 Wherefore art thou red in thine apparel, and thy garments like him that treadeth in the winefat? 3 I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment. 4 For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come. 5 And I looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me. 6 And I will tread down the people in mine anger, and make them drunk in my fury, and I will bring down their strength to the earth.

It is truly overwhelming to list passages of Praise in the Scriptures since the Bible is the story of God’s mighty acts . The whole book of Psalms is a book of praise.

A good book to read on what constitutes a complete prayer is “ The Hour That Changes The World”. It is a very small book that you can read in one day.

The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever.

2011/6/21 12:39Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

I just wanted to add another small note.

Praise is not an act of manipulating God to get Him to do what we want, nor is it something to be done in a rush. Praise is a heart’s fixed disposition once we realize that we were created for no other reason but to praise God.

You have asked for Biblical examples. Perhaps the best is the Lord’s Prayer.

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.(( Praise ))
10Thy kingdom come, (( Praise ))
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. (( Praise ))
11Give us this day our daily bread. (( Prayer for Physical needs ))
12And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. (( Spiritual needs, justification, conditional ))
13And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: (( Prayer for Spiritual needs, Sanctification, or to continue in a justified state before God ))
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. (( Praise again )) Amen.

2011/6/21 13:05Profile
staff

Re:

Hi,Thank you all for your welcome answers.I asked for a friend who interceeds and also leads worship.I began wondering how they fit together.
Untobabes your footnote was very good thanks,Staff

2011/6/21 18:35Profile

Quote:
Hi all,I have a question on intercession prayer.Does singing or praising help with intercession?Are their any scriptures to support this?Thanks for your help Staff

Well i would look to the psalms. It certainly can't hurt. Also, there is a book i read called "REES HOWELLS--INTERCESSOR" by Norman Grubb. I DON'T recommend any of Norman Grubb's other books, as he bordered on heretical with his Gnosticism/mystical theology and may possibly have believed in Name It and Claim It theology, but this one was a fascinating biography of Rees Howells who was a missionary and lived through the great Welsh revival.

2011/6/21 23:57

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy