SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Getting rid of secular music...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
carters

Australia

Getting rid of secular music...

Hello,

I've been a Christian now for 16 years and since completely living my life for Jesus I have started to feel more and more uncomfortable with non-Christian music.

Has anyone else felt like this?

This has been a long time coming...almost 2 years ago I went completely Worship music only...can't believe how that time has flown. It changed me alot.

BUT...I realise that the time has come to delete all the songs off Itunes. I don't know why, but this is big deal. Every time I think I will do it, I start to back off.

Background: I love music and I have been emotionally affected by music. Secular songs ususally bring up issues from the past. For me I find that secular songs have quite "dodgy" lyrics and they bring out very ungodly thoughts and reflections.

Does anyone else feel the same about this?

I realise that I am not making a rash or rushed decision this has been 2 years in the making, but why do I feel so attached to this music that is only glorifying the enemy and his ways, rather than my King?

In Him alone,

2011/6/18 22:43Profile
carters

Australia

Re: Getting rid of secular music...

PS, I meant to add that I read this very disturbing statistic today about getting rid of secular music. I quote, "In 83% of cases, the secular music parted with will be bought back by the evangelical." WOW!!!

2011/6/18 22:45Profile

Re:

After I got saved the next evening I went to put on some sec music and I started listening and emmediatly the Holy Spirit said, " this isn't what we listen to."

So I ended up tossing most of it out and then later got rid of the rest.

Keep pressing onward and upward for His glory!

2011/6/18 22:52
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I've been a Christian now for 16 years and since completely living my life for Jesus I have started to feel more and more uncomfortable with non-Christian music.

I have almost 100% left all other music aside that is not Christian and also most Christian music lately. 15 years ago that choice of repentance was life to me and I am glad to be on the narrow way with Christ.

This world will just kill the passion and devotion for Christ alone. Seek that above all.

2011/6/18 22:52Profile
carters

Australia

Re:

Wow, I am so convicted. The place where I got the stats from...I just returned to the website and read the whole article and then the comments. I was just heartbroken at the comments... http://www.stuffchristianculturelikes.com/2009/06/87-getting-rid-of-their-secular-music.html
So after being compelled to write my own comment, it completely confirmed and convicted me to get rid of the filth on my Itunes.

Thank you for your testimonies.

Thank you for

2011/6/18 23:01Profile
gazzer

Re:

yea i hate secular music , from rap to rocken roll ,and even love songs ,which are realy singing about lust and fornacation ,

iv only been a christan about ten short years

and hive come to a point where i wont listen to that satanic stuff ,

at work when the gyes play there music , ijust put on head phones and listen to sermons and bible readings

but one thing i have noticed ,was i form of mucic that i have allwaysed hated ,,was rap

and never believed for one minute could be converted into gosple music,, inoticed ,,that a few songs that are rap songs ,,sung by timithoy brindle ,,and shai linne

where some of the most powerfull gosple songs iv lissened to to date

just by memory this is the liereks to a songs called the humility of christ

for ever befor creation
or there was satan
the son was with the spirit and father in glorafication
befor the worship of fine angles above
the trinity was in the perfect tryangle above
chilled with no one else ,no need for others
for god is self suffishent ,fullfilled with in him self
and we can only gyess the conversation
but the son agreed to rescue all those the father gave him
alltho this lord shold be worshiped
he volentared to take upen him self the form of a servent
the father commaned ,yet asked him to come
so now lets examend the fassion it was done
let me ask ,you do you seem confussed with this
god passed through his own cratours utterous
i admit this is odd but the bible can persaued me
AN ONIPETENT GOD CRYING AS A BABY
NO DOCTORs around, no spot to be found
to give birth to a child, the only option in town
was to be born in a feeding , with breeding cows , and phesses plies ,the scene was foul
it wasnt fancy ,but raunchy ,
how the son of god was born next to camels ,and donkeys
what an aswem feat to drop so deep
he didnt step down ,he took A QUANTEM LEAP
and im amased at god infenent in wealth
put asside his fame and limited him self
to time and space and eyes and legs
he died to save a violenT race whos sin would bring them HELL
WHOD assume that this could be ,god becasme a men and penatrated in to humen history
but he did it oppasite that people thought he would
so unbelievers were mocken it
the promised messire didnt come in the honner of sire
but humbly rocken ,some modest attire
so people missed it
to be pasific
the ligelists,thought ,the king would be the richest

and we no we like comodaties ,but the persesor
of all riches choose a life of poverty
but wait this is not the desendent of david ,is this
yes and hes desended the greatest distance

he chilled with sinners and tax robbers
who amoungs his creatours ,to him were grace hoppers
he dwelt with lowerr class ,lowly men
and those known as trash were hi choosen kin

and the unbelieving jews were sick of his him
they said he runs with a team of stupid fishamen
and speaks to samartins ,and bararians
the pharries stared at him with harh aragantes

it was shown with the saviour
took notice of beggars
healled the blind and the sick
and those with the lowest of wages

he even touched those with leproce
which was seen as the most descusting noen infestion
see
wait are you kidden me
watch JESUS go low and wash petters toes
what great HUMILITY

SEE THE SECONED PERSON OF THE TRINITY
CAME DOWN TO RESCUE WORKERS OF INIQUITY

check his earthly ministry ,he didnt make a bed
he had no place to lay his head

but he became bound to his own law but we found no flaw
was from a ruggered town so raw

slumbered and slept
hungered and wept and sweated
plunged to our depths the som,of our depths pathetic
the humbelest yet ,the humbelest death that was dreaded
THE SON IS OUR REST COME UNDER AND GET HIS CREDIT

NO QUESTION THAT YOUR DEITY
BUT YOU LAYED ASIDE ,THE FULL EXPRESSION OF YOU DEITY
AND SURFED THE CHASIM ,NO WORDS CAN FATHOMED
HOW GOD WALKED THIS EARTH THAT WAS CURSED FROM ADAM

he was falsly condemed by jews and filthy pagans
on the cross was the peek of his humilation
no discussing sure they best remove him
he got the most desusting form of exacution

he who sits on the throne
was kicked and stomped
and spat on by romen fools

despised by israle
tryed by sinfull souls
but was silent when struck by vilen imbasouls

AND JESUS WAS ABLE TO CALL DOWN LEIGONS OF ANGLES
BUT HE WAS TO FAITHFULL
OH GRAISOUS AND PAIENT WAS HIM
BUT HE WAS HATED AND FORSAKEN BY MEN

jews they hated his soul
judus betrayed him for gold

when it got tough
his crew was affraid so they rolled

the sukkers they merked him
this suffering servent
was beet up and looked like he was cut by a surgen

slaughted bleeding ,gushing ossing blood
THE FATHER PLEASED TO CRUSH HIM WHOM HE LOVED

so he probably didnt even feel the crown and nails
he had to suffer more then this to bring down the vail

our eyes are haughty
our lies are naughty
THE HOLY CHRIST BOAR OUR SINS INSIDE HIS BODY

yea his veins they birst
but no ones pain was worse

BECAUSE THE ONE WHO MADE THE EARTH BECAME A CURSE
AND HE WAS ONE WITH THE FATHERS PRESENCE
BUT ON THE CROSS ,THE GOD OF HEAVEN
CUT OF HIS PRESENCE

SO I CANT SHARE ANY LANUAGE
THAT CAN RIGHTLY DESCRIBE THE CHRIST DESPAIR ,AND ANGUISH

SO FOR EVER WILL I TELL
IN THREE HOURS CHRIST SUFFERN MORE THEN ANY SINNER WILL IN HELL

HE WHO HAD INFINET JOY AND PLEASURE
BECAME A MAN OF SORROWS ,SO WE CAN JOIN FOREVER

he took a cosmic plung
put on some lungs
on the cross became to god a spoung
TO SOAK UP HIS WRATH
SO THE WIKKED WOULDNT BE SIFFED AND BLOWEN

IN TO CHAFF

2011/6/19 0:25Profile

Quote:

Oh yes! It is something that happened to me after I became a Christian; i became more and more irritated and nauseated by secular music, particularly of the rock variety. It was not my mind being offended so much as my spirit being disturbed, for it is just NOISE.

Around here you just walk into stores like JC Penney and they have it playing from the rafters. I could gag. Why do they think i want rock music shoved down my throat when i shop? What is wrong with classical? Or country? Why is ALL the marketing strategy aimed almost solely at teens today?

I also used to exercise at a fitness facility. I really needed (still do but that is another issue) exercise to control my pain and kept a membership at that time. However, i really found it almost intolerable to listen to some of the so-called "music" played. Some of the lyrics were abominable, occasionally so offensive that i had to go to management and complain about the music being played and request them to change the channel. If i am paying money to be in a place then i reserve the right to have a voice in what sort of "music" i am forced to listen to. But it is not just lyrics, often it is the drumbeat that is disturbing to my spirit. Now, before i became a Christian, I felt the need to have that very "music" playing all the time! I often thought to myself how wonderful it would be if stores and all the world would keep Top 40 music playing all day long everywhere so the whole world could be bathed in such music at all times! I needed the drumbeat to keep my spirits up and to motivate me through my day back then. Now that it IS played everywhere i can hardly stand it. My spirit finds it to be nothing but noise. What a change. I much prefer Christian music, and certain classical and country music (if the lyrics,etc are ok).

Quote:
,and even love songs ,which are realy singing about lust and fornacation ,

Yes, I notice this too. Amen! Secular rock artists don't even know what love is!

2011/6/19 0:50
carters

Australia

Re:

quote]Some of the lyrics were abominable, occasionally so offensive that i had to go to management and complain about the music being played and request them to change the channel. If i am paying money to be in a place then i reserve the right to have a voice in what sort of "music" i am forced to listen to.

LOL, that is brilliant.

I love sermon index, I finally feel like I am around like minded believers.

I thank God for you all & your encouragement.

In Him always,
Sherid

2011/6/19 2:45Profile
Koheleth

NC

Quote:

Everyone who is filled with the Holy Spirit and has listened to secular music has felt like this. Definitely!

Jesus and his Spirit are not of this world. I agree with some of the input here and elsewhere--the real difficulty comes in trying to sort out (1) which so-called Christian music really is Christian, and (2) which non-Christian music is acceptable. I don't mean godless filthy songs or worldly pounding noise. I mean, is it acceptable to listen to Mozart or Bach or mountain music? To a gentle, cheering folk song by a local?

If you try to figure this all out yourself, you will end up in a spiral, since you are like me and are drawn to music and God placed in you a love for it. Fortunately, there is a better way! God will be your Guide and Shepherd! Hallelujah, he can lead you in paths of righteousness for his name's sake!

I could give you the long version, but here's the short one. Get rid of it. All of it. Every last piece of secular music and/or anything else that is even remotely questionable. Go on a "music fast" except for worship songs. You won't ever miss it. Okay, now let me be honest. You will miss it. There will come times you crave it, and doubt your earlier thoughts and whether you want to still go without it. But, hang in there. Here is the great news, when you experience deeper moments of worship and spiritual thoughts than you have before, you will sing out loud with joy to the Lord. (That will be some really good music!) It will all be worth it. You will have a great foretaste of what it will be like to be before the throne. And you won't want to go back.

There came a point early in my Christian walk when I got rid of all of my secular music. I could never stand CCM, and I never listened to any except for a few songs by one particular Christian musician on the life of Christ. A few on there are really excellent (for me). After a few years, I couldn't find anything to fill the void and I bought back a few of those secular albums. It didn't take long to learn that that kind of music didn't fill what I was looking for. I went through a few hard years of praying and searching, but God has both changed me and brought me a variety of music that is in harmony with the Spirit and allows me to worship or have some significant reflections on this life and the life to come. A good portion of it is instrumental. I reject about 99% of modern music, whether secular or "Christian", but it is important to be aware that there are a few good selections out there. Check the nooks and crannies and keep praying for God to lead you into everything good. Be prepared, if necessary, to go through "music wilderness" and feel like you are dying. It's not just the music God may lead you to, but the changes he is going to work in the process that are precious.

2011/6/19 3:08Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Why do they think i want rock music shoved down my throat when i shop?

I can relate to this troubling scenario. Actually, what I do is quit patronizing that business. I have complained to the checkout clerks and they just think it is amusing....well, this store is no longer in business locally, not that I purchase there all that much. But I do wonder how often offensive music will drive customers away.

In any case, not only is the music bad so is the dress of the other shoppers. To save me much grief, I do a lot of shopping online.

2011/6/19 20:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy