SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Mother Convicted of Spanking Own Child -- 'You don't spank children today,' Judge scolds

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Mother Convicted of Spanking Own Child -- 'You don't spank children today,' Judge scolds

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (CBS) -- A judge in Corpus Christi, Texas had some harsh words for a mother charged with spanking her own child before sentencing her to probation.

"You don't spank children today," said Judge Jose Longoria. "In the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don't spank children."

Rosalina Gonzales had pleaded guilty to a felony charge of injury to a child for what prosecutors had described as a "pretty simple, straightforward spanking case." They noted she didn't use a belt or leave any bruises, just some red marks. ...

read more: http://bit.ly/ionDRl

2011/6/18 22:32Profile

Re: Mother Convicted of Spanking Own Child -- 'You don't spank children tod

I am 36 years old and the father of 5 small beautiful children myself. I remember as a child reading a Chick-Track I found in my mom's bathroom drawer. It was about just this sort of thing happening in the future. It was almost unthinkable when it was originally written (probably 40+ years ago). Now, it is actually happening. With no discipline in general, the next generation will be even more full-on to "cast off all restraint". All I can say to this madness, is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! So, what Solomon said that "if you beat them, they will not die, but you will have saved their soul from the grave" is considered unloving, and allowing your kids to grow up without discipline is "love"? "What Father who loves his children doesn't discipline them?" We are living in interesting times no doubt.

2011/6/19 0:26

Re:

Quote:
So, what Solomon said that "if you beat them, they will not die, but you will have saved their soul from the grave" is considered unloving, and allowing your kids to grow up without discipline is "love"? "What Father who loves his children doesn't discipline them?"

Those of us abused as children have real problems with such verses. Use of the word "beat" can really destroy a Christian's witness in this world--be warned. There are more people from broken families than ever before. I was beat and i hated my abuser for my entire childhood, i never bonded to that parent whatsoever and never felt anything but bitter. I was beat with anything that was handy, from car window scrapers to forks to belts to baseball bat to a large venison sausage on the head. And that wasn't all.

I have heard of women who won't listen to anything else from Christianity (the Gospel) because of these select verses which seem to promote child beating. What a shame.
I agree that a parent who fails to discipline their child does not truly love them and is creating a spoiled brat--and i have seen the evidence with my own eyes in more than one family. But it is important to distinguish between the right kind of discipline and the wrong kind, and where to draw the line. This is very much lacking in both scripture and in the Church.

2011/6/19 1:02
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

"This is very much lacking in both scripture and in the Church."

I disagree :) Well as far as Scripture goes anyways, it does give us a guideline. To be people of righteousness and fair judges amoung ourselves. A Righteous and Fair Judge will give not only a proper verdict but also a fair punishment. Also Ephesians charges Fathers don't provoke your children to anger. This requires communications and blantantly beating your child (as I assume is what you experienced) will most definitely lead to a bitter and angry individual.

Now I was spanked as a child and I thank my parents for it and now today I spank my children. Am I a tyrant about it? No I discipline justly and fairly and sit down with my children and explain to them "hey I Love you but what you did was not right and when we something wrong their are consequences" Discipline requires communication in explaining to the child why they are receiving a punishment and then following through with said punishment. My dad often times would sit me down with scripture and explain why it was wrong and then give me a punishment, it never ended in my hating my father but always ended in us hugging and crying together. My love and respect for him only grew more.

I am sorry you had a poor discipliner while growing up but there are guidelines we can follow to be good parents. God gives us spankings all the time and sometimes they hurt a lot. My wife told me about a lady that sat and listened to someone talking about a gentle and loving and caring God who does only sweet things for his Children and doesn't punish them. The woman quite upset about such statements said God is a hard discipliner He took my father and my husband all in the same month before I came back to Him it was a discipline necessary for me to return though.

God will deliver a spanking or two when necessary and it will be a well deserved and well earned one when He does..

2011/6/19 5:57Profile

Re: Mother Convicted of Spanking Own Child -- 'You don't spank children tod

The World of course does not acknowledge sin at all.....and see all people, children included, as possessing worth and positive natures. Though life itself, reflects the opposite; exhibiting the cruel Satanic natures that all men possess...with the Globe filled with war, greed, and narcissistic lust.

There is a lot of debate about this, [ not trying to stir it up..] about WHEN a child develops his sinful ; and thereby destructive nature....his or hers SELFLIFE. Some, like Charles Finney...believed that a child inherited this nature by osmosis after their birth. I stand with inheriting our sinful natures, the self life, from our parents...Adam and Eve.

So what IS a parents responsibility to God concerning their offspring? Hear what the Lord said about the Father of faith; Abraham. Genesis 18:

And the LORD said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am doing,

18... since Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?

19 For I have known him, in order that he may command his children and his household after him, that they keep the way of the LORD, to do righteousness and justice, that the LORD may bring to Abraham what He has spoken to him.”

This Promise...one of the most mighty given to Abraham...reels around his character to institute the discipline of the Lord within his family.

Proverbs 13:24
New King James Version (NKJV)

24. "He who spares his rod hates his son,
But he who loves him disciplines him promptly."

Proverbs 19:18

18 "Chasten your son while there is hope,
And do not set your heart on his destruction."

Proverbs 22:15

15 "Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child;
The rod of correction will drive it far from him."

Proverbs 23:13

13 "Do not withhold correction from a child,
For if you beat him with a rod, he will not die!"

Proverbs 19:18

18 Chasten your son while there is hope,
And do not set your heart on his destruction.[a]

Footnotes:
a.Proverbs 19:18 Literally to put him to death; a Jewish tradition reads on his crying.

Proverbs 22:15

15 Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child;
The rod of correction will drive it far from him.

Proverbs 23:13

13 Do not withhold correction from a child,
For if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.

Proverbs 23:14

14 You shall beat him with a rod,
And deliver his soul from hell

Proverbs 29:15

15. "The rod and rebuke give wisdom,
But a child left to himself brings shame to his mother."

Proverbs 29:17

17 "Correct your son, and he will give you rest;
Yes, he will give delight to your soul!"

Loving your children is the key to Godly discipline when applying the Rod. It is applied to correct back to life...not for revenge or retrobution.

The World does not have wisdom, nor understanding, and their counsel will inevitably be destructive. Though most believe that they have authority over your children...as believers we must understand that.."Thy Word, Oh Lord....IS TRUTH!" Your children will be immeasurably better off...and maybe for eternity.

2011/6/19 12:43
istina

Re:

both news about circumssision and spanking are of the same source-somebody tries to control new generation, they are also the same people who promote abortions and homosexualism and birthcontrol. it is about breaking family institution so somebody can control the society through coppupted law system.
We must be careful and watch out, soon anything normal will be criminal and vic versa. God, help to stand and save ou children when we wouldn't be able to help them.

2011/6/21 7:01Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Sad. These judges try to make themselves God.

2011/6/21 9:58Profile
istina

Re:

the same spirit operates in them that initially wanted to be god

2011/6/21 13:34Profile
istina

Re:

but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits.
Da:11:33: And they that understand among the people shall instruct many: yet they shall fall by the sword, and by flame, by captivity, and by spoil, many days.
Da:11:34: Now when they shall fall, they shall be holpen with a little help: but many shall cleave to them with flatteries.
Da:11:35: And some of them of understanding shall fall, to try them, and to purge, and to make them white, even to the time of the end: because it is yet for a time appointed.
Da:11:36: And the king shall do according to his will; and he shall exalt himself, and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the indignation be accomplished: for that that is determined shall be done.

2011/6/21 14:02Profile
TimmyJoe

Panama City, FL

Re:

This is a very sad and scary situation. To think that sooner rather than later we wont be able to raise our children in a godly way in this country.

2011/6/21 14:05Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy