SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Drunks and Bible Teachers

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
allaboard

Drunks and Bible Teachers

New Testament body life will give you quite an education when it comes to being impressed with men, their reputations, and their ranks. Over the years, I’ve developed close relationships with the highly respected and the highly esteemed. Most of those are vocal people who teach. When it comes right down do it, often these men are not much different then your average drunk who is laying in a gutter.

You might take offense by such a statement. But hear me out. The drunk in the gutter lusts for another drink of wine. The respected Bible teacher can often lust for position, power, respect, and control. Both are lust. The ambition of the drunk in the gutter is to get enough money to buy another bottle of booze. The ambition of the Bible teacher is often to always have an audience of people to listen to him so he can deliver his newest message. Both are ambition. The drunk in the gutter is drunk with wine and is therefore rendered useless to society. With the Bible teacher, because of his vast knowledge and understanding of the Bible, he can be filled with arrogance and pride, which renders him pretty useless as well. In fact, sometimes the drunk in the gutter is closer to the kingdom of God than the righteous man, because he knows he is a sinner.

It is not my intention to be disrespectful to people who teach. I myself teach. We need this work in the church and it is to be appreciated. The point is that no man is much different or very far away from being like the drunk in the gutter. I’ve seen that all people are pretty much the same. People just look different outwardly. Many fool themselves because they adhere to a list of Christian laws, therefore they look better than a drunk in a gutter. However, a lust is a lust, no matter what it is focused on. From within the hearts of all men proceed various forms of lusts, sins, fornications, deceit, selfish ambition, fleshly plots, unforgiveness, judgments, and lies. Some of these are polished and repackaged to look more noble and to look more Christian, which makes for the worst kind of all – religious flesh.

The Christian has an advantage over the detestable sinner in that the Christian has received the grace and forgiveness of God. The Spirit of God lives in him. This gives him the opportunity to know God and commune with God. Christians have the opportunity and power to not walk in sin. But Christians don’t always walk in the power they’ve been given. Also, all of the knowledge, Bible teaching, Biblical concepts, and information can tend to get in the way for the Christian. These things make him think that he is walking with God, when he really may be proud, hard hearted, and quenching the Spirit in his life.

Bible information and teaching can fool the Christian into not needing God. Many Christians are very religious and they don’t even know it. The person who is justified and close to God is the person who screams out from the top of his lungs and from the depths of his soul and says, “OH GOD SAVE ME, I’M SINFUL AND UNCLEAN!”

The person who has all their theology straight can be in terrible danger. The person who is dependant on their beliefs instead of being dependant on Jesus is in jeopardy. The person who has memorized scripture, has extensive Bible training, has listened to years of teaching, and who has thoroughly studied the Word of God is in danger of not having a broken heart. The new believer and the sinner do not tend to have this problem. This is why so many “leave their first love” as they gain years in the Christian faith.

When the highly educated Bible people regurgitate their Biblical knowledge, people respect it. People who teach are respected. People who can talk a lot and who can explain Biblical concepts are impressive. Men who act like they know it all, tend to be believed and followed by others. We would rather eat from the tree of knowledge than from the tree of life. Knowledge, education, information and concepts are more respected and sought after than love, brokenness, hospitality, and power.

People who don’t teach or say much, are usually at the bottom of man’s pecking order. But those who “do”, those who love, and those who serve in secret, are first in God’s view. I would rather hang out with the drunk in the gutter who has a broken heart than the well esteemed Bible teacher who knows all, but practices nothing.

We must recalibrate our thinking. We must re-order our list of what is most valuable and what is least valuable. We cannot take worldly standards and make them Christian standards. The world esteems knowledge and education, but the Bible says that “knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies.” (I Cor. 8:1)

Those who teach us the Bible should be appreciated. They are not to be despised. But we need to see what’s what, and in its proper perspective. Those who love us, lay down their lives for us, invite us into their homes, ask us about the condition of our hearts, are genuinely interested in us, and spend valuable time with us – these are the ones we should gravitate toward.

We should not be extremely impressed with those who want to do teaching among us, but don’t really want to spend any time with us.

We should not be fooled into thinking that those who teach are necessarily doing some great and fabulous thing. God may use their teaching in our lives. But we must realize that many times, those who teach are not loving us or laying their lives down for us at all. Many times they are teaching us because it meets a need they have within themselves.

Many times the content and the subject matter that people teach are the things that they need most for their own lives – that is how they received the revelation in the first place. Often teachers and preachers hear God speak to them concerning an issue for their own life and growth, and they think they are supposed to teach it to everyone else, when really it was meant only for them. I’ve seen quite a consistent pattern with Bible teachers in this area. Many times their own personal internal struggles come out in their teachings over and over again, while it is all directed at their audience.

Teaching can be good. Teaching can be helpful and profitable. But we have made teaching the crown jewel of the Christian life and experience. It should not have such a place (1 Cor. 2:4). Let’s don’t be fooled into thinking that teaching and those who teach are something more than they are.

Love, power, kindness, and hospitality are the true commodities of the Kingdom of God. These are the commodities that grow us, heal us, and equip us. A humble person who will be a friend to you, who will sacrifice for you, who will spend time with you, give to you, speak the truth to you, pray with you, and who will receive these same things from you as well, should be worthy of much more respect and honor than the person who only wants you as an audience so they can teach in front of you.

by Terry Stanley

2011/6/14 16:58Profile
jimp

Re: Drunks and Bible Teachers

hi, you nailed it.it took me 40 years to realize that being a servant is a higher calling than being an apostle. jimp

2011/6/14 17:40Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Being a son is as high as you can get.

John 3:2-8 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

This is a son born again of the Spirit of Christ and the Holy Spirit teacher of the kingdom of God.

A true teacher of the Word must be a son first. I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. Who is the water of life? Christ, who is born again in us by the incorruptable Seed of the Father, and the Holy Spirit of God in answer to the Prayer of Jesus Christ, our Another Comforter.

Without these the flesh teaches the things of the flesh, But by the Spirit of Truth a teacher who is a son first then sent by The Father to build up the House of God, who is "Christ in you the hope of glory", is bringing the Body of Christ His Church to the Father and will present it to Him that all things will be of God our Father. Even by Christ Jesus our Brother and Husband to the Bride, Lord and Savior, the express image of God the Father, as we are also son's of God by the Spirit of Christ in us. These are true teachers sent from God. And we will hear His Voice coming through them.

In Christ: Phillip

2011/6/14 21:10Profile
crusader

Australia:

Re:

I enjoyed this post

2011/6/15 5:51Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, you must be a son toeven qualify for a ministry position. Jesus was a servant of all so that He was the greatest of all.

2011/6/15 8:16Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. (John 5:39,40).

"This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. (John 17:3).

There are many teachers within the Church that have a head knowledge of Jesus Christ but do not have an intimate relationship with the Lord. Mental assent is not the same thing as having a revelation of the Lord by the Holy Spirit. It is by believeing with our hearts, not our heads only, that we are saved.

Knowing about God is not the same as knowing God.

The Pharisees were the professionals of that day that had all of the answers according to the scriptures, yet they rejected the One that is the "living Word" of God.

There is as big a difference as between day and night with those teachers that minister the letter of the law that kills and those that minister the spirt that gives life.

Mike

2011/6/15 8:51Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Quote:
I would rather hang out with the drunk in the gutter who has a broken heart than the well esteemed Bible teacher who knows all, but practices nothing.

Interesting observation.

When I was at the Crises Pregnancy Center, I used to say the same thing!

The fornicator was more likely to be honest about herself then the religious person. Religious people will work to wiggle around Biblical teachings, they compromise. The one in 'the gutter' is more likely to be honest and admit the state of her soul.

Then I understood why Jesus felt more comfortable ministering to the tax-gathers, the harlots, etc. I agreed with Him - I found it the same.

2011/6/15 9:20Profile
Giggles

Re:

The subject should be approached biblically not be reasoning. Paul gives the exhortation, "Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine" in 1 Tim. 5:17. Many other passages indicate the same heart set towards those God has given certain gifts.

Do all that profess to deserve this honor really deserve it? Of course not, but that doesn't invalidate Paul's instructions. And then there is also the realization that not all bible teachers are monsters. There are broken-hearted, humble men who have much insight into the word.

2011/6/15 11:31Profile

Re:

"ruling well" seems to be the operative phrase that is often neglected, here. The priority is not those who labor in the word as if that automatically gives you some kind of special status, but "ruling well". That does not mean lording over others, it means a humble, serving heart like a father has. Not abusive or taking advantage of others.

2011/6/15 14:00

Re:

Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake. Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.

But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.

Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger.

Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.

Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.

But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you; and unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also. Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again, and as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch? The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye.

For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes. A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:
He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

~Luke 6.22-49

2011/6/15 16:28

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy