SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Books made an impact in my life

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Ethan

Dubai

Books made an impact in my life

there is no limit to the books but i will list some of them here and i pray that those who are logging in this thread try to get those books and read.

1) Why Revival Tarries - Leonard Ravenhill
2) Saints Everlasting Rest - Richard Baxter
3) Christian Disciplines - Oswald Chambers
4) Journal of David Brainerd - Jonathan Edwards
5) Almost Christian Saved - Mathew Mead

THESE ARE THE BEST. I WILL TRY TO LIST MORE IN THE COMING DAYS FOR THE SERIOUS CHRISTIANS.

In Christ
Shankar

2004/12/8 1:47Profile

Re: Books that ARE making an impact in my life!

I picked this one up from livingfaithbook.com, and its entitled (appropriately enough)

"The Diaries of John Sung"

oh man! I'm trailing flames 30 feet behind me, filled with the Holy Ghost as I read these wonderful diaries.

Are they the diaries of Brainerd? a book I treasure and have read and re-read.

no, but Brainerd is Brainerd as Sung is Sung and I am Neil.

John Sung was an amazingly profund apostolic figure used mightily by God in China during the 1920's and 30's.

I want to do a book report (lol) for this community on Brother Sung, but let me give a small taste of where his heart was.

Here is a man that God used to bring tens of thousands to saving knowledge in the Lord Jesus Christ, yet close to his death, he was not so aloof that he could not make confession and repent of his sins.

the following is four years from his death: (p. 172-173)

"In Shanghai (1940)

In my heart I was hoping pastor Chu would come and pray for me. Just then pastor Chu walked in (John Sung's hospital room) in his presence I confessed my sins to the Lord:

(1) Whenever I saw a child causing a disturbance during my messages, I would order him taken out. In this I was lacking love and gentleness.

(2.) When I gave a testimony, I would sometimes inflate the numbers of newly saved a little in my eagerness to see people saved.

(3.) When I was first saved, I spent much time in personal daily devotions. But later with preaching three times a day, I had cut my devotion times short.

(4.) I stole from God's glory.

(5.) I thought of myself highly, but demeaned others.

(6.) I should have kept the offerings holy by setting up a committee to oversee the finances. It would be composed of pastors Young and Chu, my wife Jean, and old sister Tsen."

When I read that, I was struck, by a man that truly walked the talk, its a deep confession, "I stole from God's glory", I cannot tell you how often I have prayed to God, Lord trust me with revival as i will not steal your glory and then when somebody confesses Christ, or we have a wonderful time in ministry, there we are, robbing God of His glory, and inserting myself in the mix, as if it were anything that I Neil did...PERISH THE THOUGHT!!! It literally makes me sick to my stomach, the filthy religious pride that lives like a sick weasel burrowed into my heart. And here is a brother I admire, a brother I deign to craft as an apostolic model, and HE'S confessing to a secret sin that bothers me!!

This lifted me up....how?....that I'm not alone in my imperfections and my sin.

Right now, with tears as I type this, I beg God to trust me with revival as I will TRY ...try try try , never to rob God of His Glory. amen.

a great book....heres the URL for the Biography on Dr. Sung. I havent read it yet, in fact I just bought the $12.00 copy that won't be available ...lol

http://www.abetitles1.com/Title/1048153/Flame+for+God+John+Sung.html

2004/12/8 13:22
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
5) Almost Christian Saved - Mathew Mead

The first 4 books I highly recommend also but I have never heard of this fifth one. Anyone know more about it and the author? Yes brother Neil praise God John Sung is a life worth reading! Leonard Ravenhill said outside of the bible he has not read anything more apostolic then his life.

2004/12/8 14:19Profile
swsojourner

Re:

Quote:

Neilgin1 wrote:
heres the URL for the Biography on Dr. Sung. I havent read it yet, in fact I just bought the $12.00 copy that won't be available ...lol

http://www.abetitles1.com/Title/1048153/Flame+for+God+John+Sung.html

Neil,

it's a light read, and you know that there is twenty times more to the story than is covered. but good nontheless :)

I didn't know the Diaries of John Sung existed !
praise God

Karsten

2004/12/8 14:59Profile

Re: John Sung?

I haven't had the privilege...yet. But any man who confesses to "stealing God's glory" has something to share with me that will bless me no doubt. Thanks for the info.

Hugs,

Lahry

2005/2/5 8:32
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

John Sung

Neil,

You are definitely the spice around here!

"[i]oh man! I'm trailing flames 30 feet behind me, filled with the Holy Ghost as I read these wonderful diaries[/i]."

Blessedly bizarre people :-P

Quote:
Right now, with tears as I type this, I beg God to trust me with revival as I will TRY ...try try try , never to rob God of His Glory. amen.

Ah, forget it brother, just give up :-)
(It's a related thread, long but worth the read;
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4446&forum=35]RESTING IS THE REQUIRED OBEDIENCE[/url] It will bless you man and am not belittling the tears, never)

Confused though, what did you mean by "that won't be available"?

Right away?

Didn't know this still existed either...

2005/2/5 11:53Profile

Re: the $12 copy won't be available

coz I bought it! lol

Our brother Karsten (sister?) was right, the 1954 biography was a light read, as opposed to Dr Sung's "Diaries", which are totally Spirit filled, and a wonderful testimony and story.

I got my own testimony regarding these diaries, after I finished reading them, I dashed off a letter of encouragement off to the translator of these diaries, thanking him , Stephen Sheng for undertaking this blessed task. I described how the diaries lifted me up, and helped me with yet another template of how a follower of Jesus walks in this world, and I put my phone number on the letter, and on a saturday like this, he called me. Honored me in return...man, what a phone call, he exhorted me, he admonished me, and he interrogated me, he has Chinese accent, and he started asking me if I was walking in holiness?..."yes sir, I replied, to the best of my ability", he asked me if I watch TV, to which I replied no....it was really neat.

I always believe that we as believer's should always reach out to other believers that edify the saints, and encourage them, either by letter, or email, voice...whatever.

Mike, I can feel your prayers blessing this website.

2005/2/5 13:18
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

ah,

"won't be available...." [i]anymore![/i]

More coffee please!

but...
WOW! How cool is that brother!
You know, this is just a small taste of Heaven...
Have had this percualting thought that we will have to be dead to be there, how else would we be able to contain ourselves? Think one would implode just by the shear intensity of so much....joy! Not to mention being in the Presence of pure Holiness...

Some days feel like I am going to pop now :-P
Just keep those pins away...

Very, very cool brother...

2005/2/5 13:35Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy