SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is common sense anymore?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

What is common sense anymore?

In such a liberalized society as we have nowadays how does one define what common sense is?

It seems anymore that what used to be considered right is now wrong OR the wrong is considered right along with the right, if that makes sense?

When a normal wrong is being spoken of as right for this day how does common sense win over the argument? I don't always use the bible when I confront certain issues. For some people it really becomes a sore spot and I choose to use common sense for commonground. Yet, even common sense seems to be reinvented in areas of society to the point where I am left thinking-what?
A specific instance is homosexuality and those who practice it and say they were born that way or they were that way as long as they can remember. It isn't always good to bring God into this picture unless there is an open door but how does a person untwist the common sense that has been twisted that says it is ok for man to be with man, woman to be with woman as it is for opposite sex to be with each other?

2011/6/4 20:42Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: What is common sense anymore?

Hi DEADn.

This morning I went out to walk and felt to go to a certain place. I happened to pass by a flyer and after seeing it I thought of your post here.

The flyer was an invitation to "Motel Hell", to see a show or music probably. Speaking of what was to be seen(I guess), it asked: Is it sick or bizarre, gruesome or natural, beautiful or shameful... and so on, with the declaration at the end: Judge for yourself!

It made me think of what you noticed and shared here.

Common sense could in some ways be called 'Garden Sense'; it's the general notion that we all have of good and evil, since our first parent's eyes were opened to it in the beginning. We have a fair and reasonable knowledge of good and evil, and if it were just a matter for us to choose between what we can already see, decisions would be easier. But our knowledge of right and wrong is often clouded by desire, arguments from others, and so on.

Judging for ourselves is the flower of satanic philosophy that was planted in the Garden of paradise by the Devil, in full bloom.

So what do we do?

One, I think we entrust everyone we talk to, to the power of God, we entrust every word and thought we share with others to God's power to pursuade. And we try to speak the truth as far as we apprehend it, with as much gentleness and control as we can to others.

Second, I think you can appeal to nature for many things. When it seemed a matter of choice, Paul appealed to creation and nature in 1Co 11. While it may be surpressed, nature's own arguments are still powerfull and hard to deny.

But with that we should remember that generally, light is sown for the righteous. Truth is most readily recieved by reasonable men and those who are are not hardened against it. And the Lord says He looks to those who tremble at His Word. So we should keep in mind that people do scoff at His Word. But never dispair, because we know that God can change anyone's mind. He can reach anyone, and that is between Him and them. We want to be gentle and peaceable as we go among others and we can be confident that God can convince them.

Grace and peace to you.

If you would like to see the flyer I put it up here:

http://upfromthedust.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/judge-for-yourself/

2011/6/5 13:18Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I hear your words. You mentioned nature. One thing that is causing common sense to be turned on its head is the homosexual agenda.

I was just in a discussion online about this on a blog and the next thing I know it drew out the promoters of it. I realized in American that Common sense is being broken down to a state where humans are no better than animals and emotions play a vital role in truth.

I notice arguments are made about other areas of life and are broken down to show that 'homosexuality' in this case is also shown to be good.

Drugs are not natural yet they help us fight off infections. We don't use the supps or home remedies. Or are drugs a natural thing? The natural aspect is broken down to appeal for nearly anything that is wrong.

I know in the future christians are going to be taken to task for standing up for 'common sense'. What I am wondering if how do you defend such a thing? I don't always use the God factor in discussions because it can bring up walls and close doors fast. Instead I am a listener first and a searcher for the real heart and I find common sense being relocated for a 'questioning of everything' type of philosphy.

Does this make any sense? I know it is deep but I think every christian in America is going to have to battle this at some point in time.

2011/6/5 21:40Profile
allaboard

Re:

Common sense is like morality, today, whatever you define it as.

Psa 11:3 If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?

2011/6/5 21:46Profile

Re: What is common sense anymore?

Quote:
A specific instance is homosexuality and those who practice it and say they were born that way or they were that way as long as they can remember. It isn't always good to bring God into this picture unless there is an open door but how does a person untwist the common sense that has been twisted that says it is ok for man to be with man, woman to be with woman as it is for opposite sex to be with each other?

DEADn,

I have found that it is often (though not always, use discernment) better to just avoid the subject of homosexuality altogether. Particularly when talking directly to a homosexual person about their salvation. The reason for this is because besides avoiding a whole distracting can of worms that will only lead to argument or them shutting down is that even if they were NOT homosexual they would still be lost and on their way to Hell anyway; we are ALL sinners and we ALL need Jesus. So i would just focus on that when speaking to people. Ray Comfort also functions in this manner, according to something i heard him say recently on Janet Parschall's In The Market. Also, remember the Book of Proverbs, where it says, "Reprove a scorner..." and then also, "Reprove not a scorner...". It comes down to discernment and what will edify or best exhort.

The important thing is often NOT to win an argument over the right or wrong of homosex but to love homosexuals to Christ and show them their need for Christ, regardless of their type of sin.

But yea, the world has gone insane and there is little common sense around anymore. Scary, aint it.

2011/6/5 22:30

Re:

It's called post-modernism. Whatever is truth to you is true, and whatever truth is to me is truth.

At the beginning of Todd Friel's show "Wretched" (on the NRB Network at 11:30pm daily) there is a clip of Todd street witnessing to a young college student and the exchange goes like this:

Todd: "Do you think I am wrong?"

Student: "No."

Todd: "Do you think I am right?"

Todd: "So then you think I am wrong?"

Todd: "So then you must think I am right!"

That is post-modernism in a nutshell.

By the way, I highly recommend Todd's show Wretched. www.wretched.tv

Krispy

2011/6/6 6:27