Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Jesus the Carpenter

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

Jesus the Carpenter

I was curious on anyones thoughts on this, Do you think Jesus used his carpentry skills after He was baptised and began His ministry?

2011/6/2 8:33Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Jesus the Carpenter

Quote:
I was curious on anyones thoughts on this, Do you think Jesus used his carpentry skills after He was baptised and began His ministry?

I do not know.

But there is a question or an observation about Jesus working as a carpenter that stumps me.

Jesus is the creator. He was very much involved in creating the world, the universe - everything. Now here he is living as a human being who works with wood: sawing, nailing, etc. And he could if he wanted to resort to Godlike skills and have it done in a flash but he didn't.

Jesus limited himself to the skills common to his culture. WOW! What demonstration of humility that was! If a normal human could have done superior work using supernatural means he sure would have done it!

Hope I did not distract too much from your question...

2011/6/2 9:59Profile
allaboard

Re:

Carpentry was good to him but he later got into multi-level marketing instead.

2Ti 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

Each one teach one.

Of course it has morphed into a horrible version of MLM, today.

2011/6/2 12:20Profile
passerby

Re:

It was clear though that He ceased to be a professional carpenter, like what His apostles did. And it came so suddenly, never looking back as if they were fully transformed to another person.

Some of us will be called like that, chosen for difficult service, great sacrifices, and infamy so as they say in the times of old.

In a sense all of us should be ready for a radical change but can we not enjoy earthly pleasures too and serve like a CEO a politician, a great religious leader, or a great theologian, so as we see in our time.

2011/6/2 12:44Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Thanks for the feedback, I suppose the question spawns from what I have on my mind lately and that is expanding my skills as a human. I have been making an attempt to Learn something new each day and to learn a new skill each week, like today I made my family Sweet and Sour Chicken for the very first time. It was a joy to serve them and I enjoy cooking so it seemed to be a natural fit not to mention the food turned out pretty tasty.

I remember Peter after Christ was cruxified and risen that he went back to fishing. Obviously a skill that was hard to stop, overall I am so thankful Christ decided to "change jobs" so to speak and die for my sins. :)

2011/6/3 1:10Profile
passerby

Re:

1Co 7:20 Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.

That's unless our present condition is opposed to our faith.

Co 7:21 Were you a slave when you were called? Do not let that bother you. Of course, if you have a chance to become free, take advantage of the opportunity.

If one has a chance to improve his present state he is not prohibited to take advantage of it.

But always remember:

Mat 6:24 "No one can serve two masters. For either he will hate one and love the other, or be loyal to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and riches!"

Mat 6:33 But first be concerned about God's kingdom and his righteousness, and all of these things will be provided for you as well.

Mar 4:7 And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up, and choked it, and it yielded no fruit.

Mar 4:19 And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.

2011/6/3 19:18Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy