SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Storms Expose the Character of Man

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Storms Expose the Character of Man

Tuesday I went to Tuscaloosa, AL to do some business at Northport. While I waited, I drove around the city to check out the damage inflicted upon it on April 27 by a EF5 tornado.

In my lifetime I have seen lots of tornado damage - we live in tornado alley - but I was not prepared emotionally what I saw. The damage was so vast, so huge. There were blocks of buildings shattered and many blocks of houses severely damaged. Dump trucks were running constantly carrying debris to a landfill.

A few blocks away "Samaritan's Purse" had set their disaster units/rigs.

A local was informing me of the scam artists active in the area, scamming victims: insurance settled with homeowners, scammers asked these people how much insurance paid them and informed them they can build them a house for that much money and after getting their money, they disappeared. Truck loads of goods arrived in the city to be distributed to its victims. Others who were not effected by the storm carted away lots of goods. Looting was so bad the National Guard was called in to police the area.

After seeing all this destruction and hearing these stories, I felt sick - it killed all motivation to go shopping there.

And this city is in the heart of the Bible belt of the USA.
I cannot help but compare this report with what was said of Japan when the tsunami hit: looting was no problem. Their mindset is that if it ain't yours you leave it.

What I saw and heard illustrated perfectly the truth of Ecclesiastes 3:18 NASB: I said to myself concerning the sons of men, “God has surely tested them in order for them to see that they are but beasts.”

2011/6/2 7:47Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Storms Expose the Character of Man

A local was informing me of the injuries inflicted upon the tornado victims. She said the hospital is full with these people.

I never have heard of this injury: the wind pulled the muscle away from the bone! She said it is a very painful injury, requiring lots of therapy. And I believe it.

Wonder how long it will be until one hears stories of God's saving grace brought about by this storm. It may be only a few, but in God's sight this affliction would have been worth it. Do we understand this point of God's economy? Consider that herd of hogs that ran over the cliff after Jesus healed the man possessed by demons...

Obviously, God's economy differs from man's...

2011/6/2 8:00Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Dear Ginny,

Thank you for this post. The scamming - another 'sign of the times.' A new injury, 'wind pulled muscle,' I don't even want to imagine what went on to get that injury.

I can easily imagine how wonderful it felt to get back home. How blessed it is to live in tornado alley and have no damage. The season is not over, I will continue to pray for you & yours.

white stone

2011/6/2 10:11Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

It is always when men are tried that their true character comes out. We have had some cases of looting in Joplin, but it is not wide-spread. We have had many more instances where people have sacrificed to meet the needs of the hurting. So much so that it has baffled many of the people who are really seeing this part of the midwest for the first time. There are those who are taking advantage of the storm relief organizations for their own greed. I have heard a story already of people from a neighboring town who have bragged about getting supplied daily from the relief organizations.

While it is true that each individual's eternal destiny will be determined by whether they are born again or not, there is also a general societal impact that Christianity has on a commmunity. I am blessed to say that Joplin in behind the curve in rejecting this influence, but I know the situation is worsening all the time.

There are those who are coming to Christ as a result of the storm. Although I firmly believe God did NOT bring this storm, yet He is working great good for His kingdom in the lives of men and women as a result of this storm. Continue to pray for Joplin.

2011/6/2 13:46Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Quote:
Although I firmly believe God did NOT bring this storm, yet He is working great good for His kingdom in the lives of men and women as a result of this storm.

Amos 1:13 For, lo, he that formeth the mountains, and createth the wind, and declareth unto man what is his thought, that maketh the morning darkness, and treadeth upon the high places of the earth, The LORD, The God of hosts, is his name.

Matthew Henry Commentary: He creates the wind. The power of the air is derived from him, and directed by him; he brings the wind out of his treasures, and orders from what point of the compass it shall blow; and he that made it rules it; even the winds and the seas obey him.

twayneb,

Joplin is in my prayers. Please explain to me how you can choose to disregard what The Lord, The God of Hosts has to say? Is there anything or anyone that can act outside of His will? No, not one.

Not only do I pray for Joplin but for all the Saints and all who will become Saints through Faith in His Holy Child Jesus.

You must not know how painful it is to me to see His word disregarded. If it is so to me, I shudder to think of how He feels. How can you bring souls to Christ if you are turning your eye from God's own word? This is life and death work you are able to do. For my part I can only sit here in my home and pray, you have the great opportunity to work on the front line. I will pray for you.

white stone

2011/6/2 15:31Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

White-Stone:

I know there are many who think that any event that happens on this earth originates in the will of God. I think that to say so is to stretch scripture beyond what it says.

Amos makes a statement that God created the wind as well as the rest of the earth. The statement is not meant by the prophet to say that every wind is controlled by God, but rather to state the majesty and supremacy of the God with whom Israel, who should have known better, was trifling.

God does at times control weather as we can see many instances in the old testament as well as Jesus rebuking the wind and bringing calm in the New Testament. But the fact that a writer would point out specifically that the wind was controlled by God in one instance is evidence that the particular instance is a departure from the norm. God established weather patterns on this earth. The judgment of the flood was cataclysmic on a scale unfathomable to our minds. Weather has never been the same. It is unpredictable and violent storms occur because of the result of sin and the judgment of the flood on the earth.

There is coming a day when the judgments we read about in the Revelation will come upon this earth and some of those judgments include weather. Those judgments will be from God and it will be His righteousness and justice to do so.

I would like you to consider Act 17:30-31

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: (31) Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

There is a day appointed for these judgments to come to the earth. That day is the day of the Lord mentioned in many many places on scripture. I do not believe Joplin to be God's judgment. In fact, I know of many believers in town who were listening to the voice of the Holy Spirit and were warned and prompted VERY strongly to leave certain parts of town 30 minutes or so before the storm hit. We had little warning in the natural, but much in the Spirit. Those who listened were spared. God in his divine foreknowledge warned many of His people. This is why it is so important to learn to hear the voice of the Lord.

I know there is a doctrine of sovereignty, but I believe it is often overstated at the expense of other clear teachings of scripture. God does not control every detail of a man's life. We only have to point to a few verses to show this clearly. For example:

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Here Gods explicitly stated will is for ALL to come to repentance. His expressed will is not being done because He had given man free will.

Mar 6:5-6 And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them. (6) And he marvelled because of their unbelief. And he went round about the villages, teaching.

Here we see that Jesus' ability to work miracles was directly influenced by the people's faith to receive. We see that He cannot heal when we do not put faith in Him for that healing.

So to say that there is nothing or no-one that can act outside His will is a statement that cannot be supported scripturally for we have two incidents where that is precisely what happened.

This in no way diminishes that sovereignty of God. Sovereignty does not mean, "controls all things at all times", but rather, "I controlled by no one. Is supreme above all others." The statements are very different. I am often puzzled at how we arrived at the first definition when it is the second that is more accurate.

You see, if I determine in my heart to drive my car down the road at 120 mph and crash and die, it was not God who ordained that event. It was my own choice, and I paid the natural consequence of that choice. Man chose sin. God judged sin. Therefor when we experience a tornado it is, in a round about way, a natural consequence of our choice. It is a phenomena of a fallen world that we must live with until Jesus comes back, the world is judged, and all things are restored. No storms then praise God.

Just my thoughts. You may take them or leave them, but please don't accuse me of disregarding God's word. Disregarding the word of God is something I hope I am never guilty of.

Blessings!

2011/6/2 19:18Profile

As soon as I read the title, I thought of our own personal day-to-day 'storms' and how we react to them. Even if it's just being cut off in traffic or when someone takes that parking space we're headed for or when something we 'own' breaks.
Our reactions don't make it into the News papers, but He's well aware of our every thought, nonetheless our outward reactions.
I can't judge the unsaved - but I know the heart of mankind and He knows it Far better. Nothing is hid from His sight.
Makes one more self-conscious of our every thought, when things don't go very well, in our view of how we'd prefer them to go. Romans 8:28-29. "ALL things."

2011/6/2 19:19

Re:

Quote:
Although I firmly believe God did NOT bring this storm, yet He is working great good

twayneb,

And what if He DID bring the storm? Would that have been so wrong? Upon a godless nation and godless culture?? God is a God of Justice. It would have been perfectly JUST if He had wiped out the entire USA!

2011/6/2 21:13
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Whether or not God would have been just to do so is not the issue. He will at the appointed day judge the earth and He will be righteous and just in doing so. I agree totally that apart from being made righteous by the blood of Jesus, every one of us is totally deserving of wrath. I praise God that I have been justified, made the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. I praise God that I have been saved from wrath. But apart from that we all deserve judgment. But that judgment is not yet. I believe it is reserved (acts 17) for the day of the Lord, therefore I do not believe God sent judgment on Joplin. Whether or not it is right, righteous, or just of God to judge is not in question at all. I am sure we can all agree on the answer to that question.

2011/6/2 21:58Profile
rbanks

Re:

Great posts Travis!

Bless you brother!

2011/6/2 22:08Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy