SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : An Endearing story

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

An Endearing story

My mom told me this Story this past Sunday. I think it is awesome and I wondered what everyone here thinks of it. Mom is not a christian. She grew up Catholic, went Lutheran when married and when I was 8 yrs old quite after fiasco. She has never been born again that I know of.

She is a nurse and is currently working wound care but has done seemingly all in a hospital. She took care of a patient and he was so awed by her care that he wanted to give her an exotic bird. Mom did want a pet. She got his address and phone number anyway. Well, sometime after that she did home health care for a short while. She took care of a lady who had diabetes, very overweight, heart attack prone, etc. Mom asked her if she would like a bird, to which the woman said NO. Next visit this lady inquired about the bird. So, mom went to this guy's house. He actually raises exotic birds. She asked the guy for a bird that you can teach to talk, singing and different tricks. So, she was given a particular bird. She gave the lady this bird and it changed the lady's life so much that her outlook on life had changed.
Her kids had all left home and she was very depressed. SO much so that she didn't take care of herself and became diabetic, had a heart attack and took medications. This bird filled that void somehow. Mom was asked by the lady's doc what she did to her because this lady no longer needs these meds. Mom told me that she though this was a sort of divine occurance the way this whole thing shaped up. Mom is a major giver of herself btw.

After I heard this story, I thought to myself, how does a christian respond to such a story? After all, if you didn't know anybetter it sounds like something you might hear on Oprah. Oprah would be all over this type of thing. Yet it happened even though this lady didn't acknowledge Jesus-according to mom's story. But she did have a new outlook on life.

Does anyone have any comments? HOw does a christian respond to something like this?

2011/5/31 16:03Profile

Re: An Endearing story

Hi Brother. It has always amazed me, the affect that pets have on people.
They now have them in Nursing Homes and visitation-pets in Hospitals. That GOD would create these creatures for our comfort and companionship is beyond me to describe how Good He is.
How do I respond to this story - is to Thank GOD for keeping this lady alive longer and she now has more time to hear the Gospel and we'll be praying for her and your Mom and I'm grateful you've shared this with us. Thank you and GOD Bless you and all of yours!

2011/5/31 16:19
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
It has always amazed me, the affect that pets have on people.

I remember reading a while back that Oswald Chambers loved dogs, and he would even have them stand beside him on the pulpit while preaching. I always thought that to be interesting and rather hilarious at the same time.

2011/5/31 16:26Profile
crusader

Australia:

Hi deadn

your story only reminds me the importance of love and showing this to people. todays world people are so alone, isolated and getting ripped off by wolves at every corner so to have some one genuinely help makes a difference to peoples lives.

My father once broke down on the side of the road and a jewish man stopped to help him. the man gave my father money to get his car fixed and then said to him, the next person in your life that needs help remember what i did and you do the same for them. My father never forgot this and still to this day helps people because of this experience.

2011/5/31 17:48Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Quote:
HOw does a christian respond to something like this?

Appreciate it! God works in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform. He can use anything to bring comfort, blessing to people. He also can use anything to bring people to himself.

It would be interesting to know what drives your mother to be such a caring person? In any case, I would not knock it, let God take care of it. Just be a dutiful and sweet child..

Blessings.

2011/5/31 22:20Profile

Quote:
Does anyone have any comments? HOw does a christian respond to something like this?

I would just reply that some day soon the bird will die like all birds do (they have a short lifespan) and then she will be back where she started. Christ, however, can never die.

2011/6/1 2:10
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

What drives mom to do what she does is because she is a nurse. Before that she worked in a newstand which was a deadend job. She was introduced to the nursing field by someone and thought that would be a brighter future. I think the nature of the job pulled it out of her. She is 65 years old and still trucking at the moment. She even has an invention she is trying to get patented in the medical field. If it passes it would help people to be able to go home after surgeries vs having to stay at the hospital. Her home life is all about the grandkids.

Yet in all of it she does acknowledge some kind of divine guidance but she isn't one for praying except for 'positive' thoughts type of thing. Her life motto is to put in your time of work to make a difference and make it something you love to do and then go do something you love to do in your free time.

In the position she is in she has the ability to make a difference in everyone's life that she comes in contact with. A perfect place for any christian to bring something positive to someone without being preachy all the time. It just takes service to make a difference.

2011/6/1 8:36Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy