SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "Don't waste your dysfunctional family upbringing"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
live4jc

"Don't waste your dysfunctional family upbringing"

A few weeks ago a missionary, Phil Hunt, spoke at our church and he shared a wonderful message, titled, "Plea to Glorify God with your life". In it, he shared about an experience he had once in Zambia, where he was riding in a Jeep and the driver urged everyone to look at something that was on the road. At first, Phil couldn't make out what it was, but then he realized that it was a dung beetle, a creature that's quite common in that area. He marvelled at how it could spend all day rolling this little piece of dung, into a perfectly round ball. The application he made from this is how we can sometimes find ourselves doing things which are 'ok' or 'not bad' but which really don't count much for eternity. I also liked how he explained that this was what Paul meant when we he wrote in Phillipians 1:10 that as Christians we are to "approve things that are excellent". He said that this is not so about what is right and wrong for us as Christians to be doing, as what is 'better and best'.

One of the statements he made which really caught my attention was when he said, "Don't waste your dysfunctional family upbringing". By that he meant that if we have grown up in a family that could be considered dysfunctional (This would describe some aspects of my home life growing up), we could choose to become bitter about it. Phil's home life was very much a dysfunctional one, growing up. He shared with the congregation that once when he was a kid, his dad who had many problems, had held up a knife to Phil's throat.

Phil's point though, was that God uses these trials to refine us, if we permit him to. So a dysfunctional family while a very difficult thing, also holds many blessings in disguise, the most important one being that God can use us to conform us to the image of his dear son- Jesus.

Once heard a similar message from a pastor whose son had been killed in school shooting. This had been a copycat incident that occurred in Alberta, Canada (where I live) shortly after the Columbine shootings. Pastor Dale Lang shared about how the difficult people God brings into our lives are really instruments he can use to shape us, and so we should welcome their occurrence with joy- though this is impossible, in our own strength.

In Jesus,
John

2011/5/30 1:59Profile

Re: "Don't waste your dysfunctional family upbringing"

"Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ. And whether we be afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effectual in the enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer: or whether we be comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation. And our hope of you is stedfast, knowing, that as ye are partakers of the sufferings, so shall ye be also of the consolation." (2 Corinthians 1:3-7)

Never had thought of these verses in relation to a Christian with a current or past dysfunctional family/home. They certainly apply though and Mr. Hunt's encouragement is a good one. Thanks for posting brother.

2011/5/30 3:39

This is an excellent post Brother John. Did your Church tape Phil Hunt's message? Would have loved to have heard it.
What he said is 100% Biblical. Thinking of the lives of Joseph, Moses and so many who's lives we read about. Each event showed GOD's plan for them. I marvel how there was never any evidence in Joseph's life of bitterness - even after being falsely accused and imprisoned for all those years.
As hard as our lives may have been, it is so true that He has plans to use it all. Nothing goes to waste with Him.
Brother Growingone gave a perfect Scripture to go along with the OP as well.

Thank you both. Very refreshing truths. Good to hear!

2011/5/30 21:08
live4jc

Re:

Sister, I'd be glad to PM you a link for this sermon. It was a great blessing!

In Jesus,
John

2011/6/1 14:29Profile

Re:

Bless GOD! Looking forward to this Brother John. Thank you,

Much Appreciated!

Blessings of His Joy to you as well.

2011/6/2 10:58
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Quote:
Pastor Dale Lang shared about how the difficult people God brings into our lives are really instruments he can use to shape us, and so we should welcome their occurrence with joy- though this is impossible, in our own strength.

John,

I needed to hear this after this week. Thank you. Please just go ahead and post that link or pm me too!

God bless you,
Sister Lisa

2011/6/2 17:23Profile

Dear Brother John, this was an excellent message. We all need to hear it.
Most times we think that we can't "comfort others" until we've reached some mountain top experience time, but that's not true. It helps to comfort others in the midst of the battle. We're reminded of His Goodness and Mercy when we comfort others, even when we're at our lowest.

Praise GOD for you and for sharing this message.
Pray one for another here. Amen.
And Thank you.

2011/6/2 18:19

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy