SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Is the New Testament sufficient?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Is the New Testament sufficient?

Since we are under the New Covenant as instituted by Christ, is the reading and meditating on the New testament sufficient for one's growth in Christ? Does one need to read the Old Testament to grow spiritually? No debates please just some honest answers.

2011/5/29 18:51
EverestoSama

Re: Is the New Testament sufficient?

Paul said in 2 Timothy 3:16

ALL SCRIPTURE is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; (emphasis added)

I've always assumed he was speaking of what we refer to as the Old Testament.

2011/5/29 19:10Profile
allaboard

Re:

Yes, Old and New. It is all God's Word to us.

Apostles only had the Old at the time.

2011/5/29 19:24Profile

Re:

The entire Old Testament points to Christ... I hear Art Azurdia preach a couple months ago and one of his sermons was all about this.

You can certainly grow from meditating on the NT, but solid well rounded study will involve the OT as well.

Krispy

2011/5/29 19:38
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
Since we are under the New Covenant as instituted by Christ, is the reading and meditating on the New testament sufficient for one's growth in Christ? Does one need to read the Old Testament to grow spiritually?

I think it is significant that you mentioned growth because the whole Bible is aimed at the perfecting and maturing of saints until we come to the full expression of Christ as His Body. It would be a big mistake to neglect any part of God's Word that would be useful in that maturing process.

Remember on the Emmaus Road how Christ expounded the Scriptures concerning Himself. This clearly shows us that the Old Testament is a book of preparation and anticipation, it is not a complete picture but we miss out on valuable preparation if we neglect it.

G. Campbell Morgan said that the Old Testament could be divided into three main categories; a sigh for a priest, a cry for a king, and a quest for a prophet. The New Testament opens all that up in the Person of the Lord Jesus Christ but we would miss out on much understanding if we didn't read the Old Testament.

From the creation account, to the patriarchs, to the thundering of the Law, to the beautiful poetry and wisdom, to the mysteries of the prophets, God spoke in many and various ways, yet we know it is incomplete, intended to ready us for the Glorious One. So why bother with the Old Testament? Because it is an inescapable imperative to understanding the fulness of the New Testament, it fully prepares the heart.

Every farmer knows that seed sown will never take root unless there has been adequate preparation of the ground.

In Christ,

Ron

2011/5/29 19:38Profile
jde_1Cor1_6

PH

Since Christianity is all about Jesus Christ, it is a must that we read both the Old and the New Testaments.

Luke 24
"44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:"

Christ thru His Holy Spirit will cause us to read and understand the scriptures (usually refers to the Old Testament).

They are our inheritance from Christ. I don't want to miss them myself.

May God give us grace to read and understand them in order to know more of Jesus.

2011/5/29 21:27Profile

Re Many thanks

I would Luke to thank those who have taken he time to respond to my question. I have read your answers carefully and see I need to get more into the O. T. Again thank you for your thoughts.

2011/5/29 22:42
StarofG0D

United States

Quote:
Since we are under the New Covenant as instituted by Christ, is the reading and meditating on the New testament sufficient for one's growth in Christ? Does one need to read the Old Testament to grow spiritually? No debates please just some honest answers.

I have often wondered some of the same things. And agree with what some of the others are saying. Lately I find myself reading the OT more than the NT and wonder if this is wrong or not. Though I so enjoy the OT. It is rich. I have always heard it said, "there is a reason that 2/3 of the Bible is the OT."

And also reading the OT, has made me so the more thankful for Christ in the New Testament. And our now New Testament living. How glorious and triumphant is our salvation because of Him.

2011/5/29 23:04Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:

The New Testament is roughly 30-40% quoting the Old Testament in part if I am right. The Apostles used heavily the Old Testament as their only Scripture. The New Testament in many places exhorts us to claim all the promises and examples of the Old Testament. A big reason for the lack of understanding the fear of the Lord is the lack of reading the Old Testament Scriptures. How can one understand the warnings of 1 Corithians 10 or the condemnations in the beginning of Jude without prior Old testament readings of the accounts.

I think it is vital the Evangelical world immerses themselves in the Old Testament Scriptures to gain the Fear of the Lord.

2011/5/29 23:11Profile
sonsigns

Brumley Missouri

Hands down yes!

Jesus and his disciples used old testament examples. Jesus also said that he did not come to destroy the law (meaning the old testament) but to fulfill it.

There are so many golden nuggets in the New testament, but there are more diamonds in the Old.

2011/5/29 23:44Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy