SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Observation of a church

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Observation of a church

Recently my wife and I went to a church for a seminar about using coupons to save money. They used the main sanctuary for the seminar because it was so big. They teach you how to use coupons to save money plus teach you how to use surplus so that you can give to church food banks.

Well, this particular church I actually used to go to for a short while. The stage layout has CHANGED ALOT.

It looked more like a concer stage. Drum set to the side inside of a plexiglass box which just look funny. Several sets of microphones around the stages. a guitar and a keyboard as well. I noticed the light was set up as if it were a concert hall especially in the ceiling area. I also noticed that gone was the choir are and it was replaced by white strips of something with colored light shining from behind.

I asked myself, is this the modern day church? It really resembled a concert hall to me. The pastor of the church used to be an associate pastor of a larger church that was sold. I can tell the influence of that specific church has been rubbed off on this church.

I know tradition usually holds that a church altar should look the part, whatever that part happens to be. At least in churches that are well established. This particular church-imo, probably has an emotion tie to it because of the the stage element. I don't know much about what the church is doing behind the scenes. I just know what I saw inside the sanctuary.

Anybody care to comment about sanctuaries who have a different look to an altar? Especially the modern contemporary churches?

2011/5/28 19:37Profile

Re: Observation of a church

As soon as I find in the Bible what a church is supposed to look like I will comment more...

Krispy

2011/5/29 7:25
mguldner

Kansas

So you are also opposed to the Apostle Paul preaching at the Amplitheatre?

I understand tradition but when will we understand We are the church and we as individuals come in all shapes, sizes, styles, personalities. Why does the "church santuary" have to have an Altar? What purpose does that serve? Are you not the Temple of God, with the Altar inside of you?

We as humans spend way to much time focused on the outside of things when we should be looking inside ourselves at the Spiritual things taking place. Tell me dear brother, how does your inner temple look? That should be our concern.

2011/5/29 7:52Profile

Re:

If I am not mistaken, wasnt the alter introduced into the church only a couple hundred years ago?

Alter calls began shortly before Billy Graham came on the scene in the 1950's.

It's amazing how many things we cling to thinking they're straight out of the Bible when in fact they have only been around for less than a century.

Krispy

2011/5/29 7:54
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

My post was only to get comments. Usually I am used to seeing a 'traditional' type of 'altar' thing. Usually in this day when I see inside of a church something that looks like a concert a hall I expect there will be lots of noise in the service. Sometimes I think that takes away from any church.

My reaction to this setting is the reaction I see among church across America that may have a similiar setting. It is geared toward progressives and those who want out of tradition. No problem, I am the same way. My only drawback is that-this particular church is pentecostal so it usually means more emotions and high singing which can lead to false spirituality. Hey, I went to pentecostal churches after I became a believer myself. Went from Luthern to Assemblies of GOd so there is where I speak.

I am just making observations and wondered if I could be right, probably or the whole thing is irrevelent.

2011/5/29 8:58Profile
Firetime

I totally apreciate your concern brother. But I firmly believe that its not the decor that is key, its what happens in the church that counts. Decor might be nice but it wont save or heal anybody. Its much more important to know wether a Christ centred or a man centred gospel message is being preached.....

Altars are a key part of a religious shrine, certainly in my English tradition any way. Certain denominations believe that their "altar" makes the bread and wine have holy power. (Just like pagans do). And so they get reverential treatment, and get decorated with brass, marble, ornate paintings and carvings, even gold for a very high and "holy" one!

At a proper altar like that of Elijah there are several important elements. Sacrifice, death, blood, offering-and God answering by fire. After the death and resurrection of Jesus/Yeshua we dont need to offer the blood of bulls/goats/sheep etc as an annual reminder of sins. His blood was shed once for all and has redeemed us for ever. Through obedient faith and humility we offer our dead sinful selves on the altar, He cleanses us with His precious blood, causes us to live again, and then he graciously fills us with the fire of His Holy Spirit....This can happen anywhere no matter how tacky or inapropriate it might seem as far as religious prefence and tradition is concerned. I once minstered in a church that was previously a night club in Liverpool. It didnt block God from moving. Likewise at other services in Barns, industrial units, domestic houses, sports centres etc. LOL George Whitfield was thrown out of the Anglican church in the 18th century (he was far too radical and zealous for their refined sense of propriety) so instead stood on a tomb in the church graveyard and begun to preach outdoors. John Wesly preached just about any where he was able
Shalom, Jonathan

2011/5/29 12:17Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy