SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How does an Arminian Pray to the Lord of the Harvest?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DesiJr

How does an Arminian Pray to the Lord of the Harvest?

Brothers, I'm doing a study on prayer. I would pray that no Calvinists or jokesters respond to this post. This discussion does not seek to answer why "Calvinists" pray for people's salvation when God has already predetermined who gets saved, so please spare questions directed at Calvinists. And I thank you in advance for your obedience to my requests.

**THIS THREAD IS NOT OPEN FOR DEBATE OR EXCHANGE. I AM ONLY REQUESTING A SUBMISSION FOR SAMPLE PRAYERS ONLY.**

QUESTION --

If you are an Arminian, could you please include a sample of a prayer for souls who are unconverted in a way that is consistent with your doctrinal belief that it is MAN and not GOD who freely chooses of his own accord and independent will to be born-again?

I will include a sample of a "Calvinistic" type of prayer which believes that God controls which men are to be saved.

** Calvinistic Prayer Sample for an unconverted soul:

Father, would you please open the eyes of my mother. Although she does not currently believe in you, by your grace mercy and kindness, find it in your heart to save her. Cause her to repent and believe in Jesus as her Lord and Savior. And if, and when she does convert Lord, please keep her in your graces, and secure her for all eternity, that she may be a joyous witness of your glory so that the world may know the power of your Spirit and the effectual work of Christ's sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins and amazing gift of His own righteousness in exchange for her sinful life. In Jesus name, Amen.

Thank you for your input.

Blessings to you and your families,
DesiJr.

2011/5/25 18:28Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: How does an Arminian Pray to the Lord of the Harvest?

Well brethren, not exactly sure. I mean I've seen some examples of people praying for another person's salvation by saying, "Lord, I pray that he/she makes the right choice." Of course, to me that does sound weird. So I'm not sure. Maybe you should check out some Ravenhill or Tozer, and see how they did it. Ravenhill was quite Wesleyan/Arminian in his theology.

In Christ,

- Michael Liao

2011/5/25 18:43Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

DesiJr,

Your question is based on a wrong presupposition, it assumes that the Arminian does not believe God has any influence in people's lives. This is what is called a straw man argument.

Arminians, particularly of Wesleyan influence, have always held to what is theologically termed "prevenient grace" so it is appropriate for them to pray in a similar way as your prayer. Here is a short definition of prevenient grace from Wikipedia...

Prevenient grace is divine grace which precedes human decision. It exists prior to and without reference to anything humans may have done. As humans are corrupted by the effects of sin, prevenient grace allows persons to engage their God-given free will to choose the salvation offered by God in Jesus Christ or to reject that salvific offer. Whereas Augustine held that prevenient grace cannot be resisted, Wesleyan Arminians believe that it enables, but does not ensure, personal acceptance of the gift of salvation.

In Christ,

Ron

2011/5/25 18:57Profile
ManofGod0000

Re:

Jesus said the model prayer, and he described how it should be approached

2011/5/25 21:45Profile

Re:

You might want to talk to a believer from Armenia and ask them that question.

2011/5/25 23:06
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Brother,

Having family members away from God teaches you one thing about prayer: words are not what matters. I may have prayed every prayer imaginable for our prodigals and they are still prodigals.

It is God who draws people, not the words of our prayers. Today, my prayers are real simple, to the point. I speak/pray what is on my heart and that is it. I do not worry about what words I should say - God knows already what it in there - you cannot manipulate Him nor fool him, either.

Am I a Calvinist or Armenian? who cares? I don't.

My understanding...

2011/5/26 8:55Profile
RainMan

Re:

Who is Paul and who is appollo?

2011/5/26 10:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy