SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Alarm

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
HeartSong

The Alarm

A few months ago I was in the used store and found a delightful little travel alarm clock. I saw it all the way across the store and knew immediately that it was put there just for me. It was the old wind up type of clock, light blue in color and triangular in shape. It was in perfect condition and had the words "7 Jewels" written on it's face. It was made of brass (not plastic like the ones they sell these days)and was made in Germany. It only cost three dollars.

Later when I was trying to figure how the clock worked, I discovered that the alarm feature on the clock was broken and was somewhat disappointed until I remembered that I no longer use an alarm (the LORD awakens me when it is time to get up). This pleased me to no end because it reaffirmed that the LORD put that clock there just for me and I continue to thank Him for it as I wind it each night.

Today I was reading Matthew 25:1-13 in hopes of coming to a better understanding of the foolish virgins having to "buy" oil (who did they buy it from? is the oil for our lamps something that can be purchased?). I had just finished reading verse 13 "Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh." and was about to read the whole passage again when suddenly, my broken alarm started to ring. This was so unexpected and startling that it took me a minute to figure out where the noise was coming from.

As I moved the alarm switch to the off position, I stared in wonder at my little alarm clock that had somehow restored itself. Everything happens for a reason but I am still at a loss as to the meaning of such a thing.

2011/5/25 2:25Profile
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Vultures

I have asked myself the same questions about the foolish virgins as well.

I had a strange incident with a vulture as I was walking and praying. I have a usual route I take. In the wooded section of my walk I was confronted by a large vulture. This bird flew towards me and roosted on a branch directly over the path and stared at me.

Your right HeartSong everything does happen for a reason. That is why I started asking the Lord what was the meaning of this strange confrontational bird. All the other birds tend to fly away when I walk towards them. Even vultures. Then this word came to my mind.

"Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather."
Matthew 24:28

The next day there were many more vultures on that part of the trail. This time they flew away when I approached. Then the smell of death hit me. I veered of the trail to see what the vultures where so interested in. A dead deer.
Hardly noticeable. But the multitude of vultures and the smell made it obvious that there was a corpse.

Today I have been praying to the Lord as to what this means. And he reminded me the message he gave me.

"He is coming back soon"

Truly

"For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man" Matthew 24:27.

Praise God!

2011/5/25 3:48Profile

Re: The Alarm

HeartSong,
I have not really posted much on here for a long time. But after I read your post I feel compelled to share (In a nutshell I must add!)with you something the Lord has been pressing on me lately.

It all started a few weeks ago when I started seeing pictures in my half asleep, half awake state early in the mornings. The first morning I saw an image of a face I knew was representative of our Lord Jesus. Then over the image of His face a clock face appeared. Both hands of the clock started going clockwise very very fast. I woke up. Many mornings later I kept getting an image with one word but forgot them. I guess I was only entrusted with a single word with even a picture to remember it and I still forgot! God is merciful! I decided to leave a pen and piece of paper by my bed in the hope of remembering them.

Last week my reading was Matthew 25. The flasks the virgins carried really stood out to me this time. They all carried lamps but only five took extra flasks of oil (Amplified). Another fact that stood out was that they all slept. I had been praying about being filled with power for service and this really spoke to me about not slumbering when we have been filled with power for the work the Lord gives us.
Then that morning I read a word I recieved the day before. It said "The time has come" and " Let go & make room for God to fill you". I know those things I am to let go of, things 'lawful but not profitable' for one crying out to God to be filled and used for His kingdom! He wants to answer our prayers but we need to make room to be filled!

Two days later, approaching midnight (MIDNIGHT!) it was far later than I had wanted to go to bed. I picked up my small NT, opened it up for a word to take with me to bed to meditate on and I opened it up to Luke 21:34

"And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares."

I went to bed and read it from verse 29 to get it's context. I longed to see this in my amplified but it was new in it's box next to my bed. Flesh said, "It's late don't bother the pages will only stick together and it will take forever to find it." But I managed to fight the flesh, get my new bible, opened it up and there it was, Luke 21! This got my attention so I sat up alert! The Lord went on to speak to me and answered a prayer I had made but the urgency of verse 34 stayed with me.

The next day a friend shared with me something and read from Romans 13. As she did I almost fell off my seat as she read it:

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.
But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

The next morning I woke up with a single word resounding in my head. I had remembered the word this time and didn't even need to write it down! It was the word 'Gird'. Now this word is a metaphor for " Be prepared" and "Ready for service"! I couldn't believe it. As my friend said after I shared this with her, "God is really putting His finger on it".

In conclusion, I believe we should really take extra special note of what we believe the Lord is showing us because time really is of the essence. I would be interested to know if others are experiencing the same.

" Let your loins be girded about, and [your] lights burning." Luke 12:35

2011/5/25 8:33
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re: The Alarm

Much to be gleaned from the parable and for sure Christ spoke many a time to being ready. To be on watch. No one knows when the Master will return as we have come to see lately those who would dare predict such a thing. I do believe that JiG alluded to this in another thread that spoke to the futility of depending on another for the responsibility we have. The application to that? No one can bring us to the throne except Christ. No preacher, parent, friend etc..... There can be no shared or borrowed salvation. Salvation cannot be lived vicariously through another. No matter how close to another we are or how much we affiliate with that person, it can only be the individual and the Lord. I hope that I have not put words in another's mouth but this did ring true as applicable to the parable. I have crossed paths with many who would fit the profile of the unprepared virgins. They share in common religion with no personal relationship with Christ. Though they never received the oil from the other virgins, they thought if they received it, that it would be sufficient. So the haunting words of Christ are spoken, "I DO NOT KNOW YOU".

2011/5/25 11:09Profile
ThyKingCome

Southern CA

Re:

Quote:
In conclusion, I believe we should really take extra special note of what we believe the Lord is showing us because time really is of the essence. I would be interested to know if others are experiencing the same.

Hi Geraldine, you might be interested in this sermon.

The main text is Luke 12:35-36.

It's not SermonIndex material, but it's right where you're at. It takes a few minutes to get going.

http://db.tt/71VGBae

He comes in Clouds and Great Glory!

2011/5/25 13:01Profile

Re:

ThyKingCome

Thank you so much for posting that very timely sermon! It's definately where I'm at! May God bless you!

2011/5/26 14:25

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy