SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:
For this purpose the Son of God was manifested,

John wrote this of Jesus...

Jhn 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Jhn 1:2 He was in the beginning with God.

Jhn 1:3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

Jhn 1:4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.

Jhn 1:9 That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world. [fn]

The life is the light of men...and all things made are made through Him. That includes our faith.

Have we known "the Life" or is it just a story of someone who lived 2000 years ago?

2011/5/26 6:44Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:

Quote:
and the life was the light of men.

Paul explains to us that this life consists of...

1Cr 1:30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God--and righteousness and sanctification and redemption--

In another place Paul writes of the same life...

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, [fn] for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

The substance of the Life which is the light of men is that it is good news. Wisdom from God--and righteousness and sanctification and redemption is dependent on the power of God. The substance of this "life" becomes salvation for the Jews and gentiles.

For this purpose the Son of God was manifested...

2011/5/27 6:30Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:

Quote:
Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, [fn] for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

Paul continues to speak of the "power of God to salvation"...

Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith." [fn]

The gospel of Christ and the power of God are not separate distinct ideas. The gospel of Christ is the result of the power of God enabling men to find salvation. "For in it", that is "salvation" comes to man as "the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith..."

For this purpose the Son of God was manifested

2011/5/28 10:40Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:

Quote:
Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith." [fn]

Paul writes about faith in this way...

Rom 10:17 So then faith [comes] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

The righteousness of God is revealed to those "by hearing." Paul writes that one who lives by faith will hear the word of God. And that hearing will be a continuous experience. One will live faith to faith. Salvation is the sum of revelation through hearing the word of God.

2011/5/29 9:00Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:

This work of God reminds me of this Scripture...

Pro 4:18 But the path of the just [is] like the shining sun, That shines ever brighter unto the perfect day.

Those who walk in the paths of the Lord will find the increase that comes from God. He alone can lift our countenance toward heaven.

Psa 119:102 I have not departed from Your judgments, For You Yourself have taught me.

Psa 119:103 How sweet are Your words to my taste, [Sweeter] than honey to my mouth!

Psa 119:104 Through Your precepts I get understanding; Therefore I hate every false way.

Psa 119:105 NUN. Your word [is] a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.

Psa 119:129 PE. Your testimonies are wonderful; Therefore my soul keeps them.

Psa 119:130 The entrance of Your words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple.

Psa 119:131 I opened my mouth and panted, For I longed for Your commandments.

Psa 119:132 Look upon me and be merciful to me, As Your custom [is] toward those who love Your name.

Psa 119:133 Direct my steps by Your word, And let no iniquity have dominion over me.

What is the "substance" this man hoped for?

2011/5/31 7:02Profile

Re:

All the posts have been refreshing Brother Jeff but especially wanted to thank you for posting Ps 119. It's my favorite Psalm and seeing it lifted my soul from a sort of low. No coincidences with Him.

Psa 56:4 In God I will praise His Word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.

Psa 56:10 In God will I praise His Word:
in the LORD will I praise His Word.

Psa 138:2 I will worship toward Thy holy temple, and praise Thy Name for Thy lovingkindness and for Thy Truth:
for Thou hast magnified Thy Word above all Thy Name.

Thanks again.

2011/6/1 2:14
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:
Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith."

Quote:
What is the "substance" this man hoped for?

Hbr 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

"The substance of things hoped for" can be identified in the life of the believer as well as the life of a nonbeliever. The believer walks in the light and the nonbeliever walks in darkness.

Those who walk in the light will experience according to what Paul wrote, "Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith;..."

The righteousness of God is revealed to those who believe. We have this testimony of one who did believe...

Psa 119:102 I have not departed from Your judgments, For You Yourself have taught me.

Psa 119:103 How sweet are Your words to my taste, [Sweeter] than honey to my mouth!

Psa 119:104 Through Your precepts I get understanding; Therefore I hate every false way.

Psa 119:105 NUN. Your word [is] a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.

The man who wrote the words above, what is the "substance of the things hoped for" in his testimony? What "turned him on?"

2011/6/1 14:37Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:
Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith."

Paul write this to the Corinthian church...

1Cr 2:1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony [fn] of God.

1Cr 2:4 And my speech and my preaching [were] not with persuasive words of human [fn] wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,

1Cr 2:5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

Paul points to the fact that many rely on the wisdom of men.
Paul makes this distinction between human wisdom and the true means by which man is saved...

Our faith must be a product of the power of God.

Paul writes of this distinction...

1Cr 1:30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God--and righteousness and sanctification and redemption--

1Cr 1:31 that, as it is written, "He who glories, let him glory in the LORD." [fn]

Then, whenever Paul refers to the OT scriptures one should seek to understand more fully why he submitted this for thought....

Jer 9:23 Thus says the LORD: "Let not the wise [man] glory in his wisdom, Let not the mighty [man] glory in his might, Nor let the rich [man] glory in his riches;

Jer 9:24 But let him who glories glory in this, That he understands and knows Me, That I [am] the LORD, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight," says the LORD.

But many in that generation did not find this in their lives...

"That he understands and knows Me,"

Jer 9:12 Who [is] the wise man who may understand this? And [who is he] to whom the mouth of the LORD has spoken, that he may declare it? Why does the land perish [and] burn up like a wilderness, so that no one can pass through?

Jer 9:13 And the LORD said, "Because they have forsaken My law which I set before them, and have not obeyed My voice, nor walked according to it,

Listen carefully..."and have not obeyed My voice, nor walked according to it...

The "substance of the things hoped for" were not based on His "voice."

2011/6/2 20:04Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:
Jer 9:23 Thus says the LORD: "Let not the wise [man] glory in his wisdom, Let not the mighty [man] glory in his might, Nor let the rich [man] glory in his riches;

Jer 9:24 But let him who glories glory in this, That he understands and knows Me, That I [am] the LORD,

"But let him who glories glory in this, That he understands and knows Me..."

I am currently reading a book written by Ron Paul, Liberty Defined. Paul has chosen 50 different topics to write on which reveals his thoughts about liberty.

As I read of his thoughts and contemplate on his perception of American life, I am given insight into a man's life. I begin to see what he considers truth. I begin to see what motivates him. I begin to see what he hates. I begin to see how he has come to cherish liberty. I begin to understand him by what he has written.

As I reflect on Paul's book and its' content, I am given a more intimate insight into what makes this man tick. In the same way God has given us the Holy Scriptures. The Scriptures are given to us so that we might begin to understand God and His creation.

Yet as I reflect on Ron Paul's book, I really don't know him because of what is written. For me to know Ron Paul, is different from me understanding Ron Paul. To know Paul requires that I speak and listen to him in close proximity. To know him requires that we share our personal thoughts with one another. To know Ron Paul requires that I travel along with him time after time, sharing the good times and the hard times.

One must make this distinction between a book written by Ron Paul and the Holy Scriptures written by the Holy Spirit.
Reading a book written by a man such as Ron Paul, one would find that there is bound to be "inconsistencies" between what Paul has written and how one has come to know him through the process of time. However, one will never find "inconsistencies" between what God has written and how one has come "to know" God through the process of time.

So as there is only one way "to know" a man like Ron Paul, there is only one way "to know" God. God has given His Holy Spirit to men so that men might listen to Him. God has given His Holy Spirit to men so that men might walk in light of His revelation.

Jer 9:24 But let him who glories glory in this, That he understands and knows Me, That I [am] the LORD, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight," says the LORD.

How many are like those whom this Scripture speaks of...

Jer 9:13 And the LORD said, "Because they have forsaken My law which I set before them, and have not obeyed My voice, nor walked according to it,

2011/6/3 22:56Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:

Quote:

Paul and Jeremiah write of the same precept. The Lord reveals lovingkindness, judgement, and righteousness in the earth. And the Lord delights in those who glory in the Lord. Solomon writes of the revelation of the Lord...

Pro 8:17 I love those who love me, And those who seek me diligently will find me.

Pro 8:18 Riches and honor [are] with me, Enduring riches and righteousness.

Pro 8:19 My fruit [is] better than gold, yes, than fine gold, And my revenue than choice silver.

Pro 8:20 I traverse the way of righteousness, In the midst of the paths of justice,

Pro 8:21 That I may cause those who love me to inherit wealth, That I may fill their treasuries.

Pro 8:22 "The LORD possessed me at the beginning of His way, Before His works of old.

Pro 8:23 I have been established from everlasting, From the beginning, before there was ever an earth.

Pro 8:24 When [there were] no depths I was brought forth, When [there were] no fountains abounding with water.

Pro 8:25 Before the mountains were settled, Before the hills, I was brought forth;

Pro 8:26 While as yet He had not made the earth or the fields, Or the primal dust of the world.

Pro 8:27 When He prepared the heavens, I [was] there, When He drew a circle on the face of the deep,

Pro 8:28 When He established the clouds above, When He strengthened the fountains of the deep,

Pro 8:29 When He assigned to the sea its limit, So that the waters would not transgress His command, When He marked out the foundations of the earth,

Pro 8:30 Then I was beside Him [as] a master craftsman; [fn] And I was daily [His] delight, Rejoicing always before Him,

Pro 8:31 Rejoicing in His inhabited world, And my delight [was] with the sons of men.

Pro 8:32 "Now therefore, listen to me, [my] children, For blessed [are those who] keep my ways.

Pro 8:33 Hear instruction and be wise, And do not disdain [it].

Pro 8:34 Blessed is the man who listens to me, Watching daily at my gates, Waiting at the posts of my doors.

Pro 8:35 For whoever finds me finds life, And obtains favor from the LORD;

Like Jeremiah who wrote"For in these I delight," so Solomon wrote, "And my delight [was] with the sons of men."

These are those who know the "master craftsman."

2011/6/6 6:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy