SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can Some one show me this in scripture

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Enochh

Indianapolis

Can Some one show me this in scripture

Forgive me if this is a repeat of a previous thread.
I keep reading in several post that some believe that a child is not accountable for his sin till age 12. I really don't know where this is. Ive heard Paul Washer speak of his so in reguards to the grace of God being the only thing keeping his sinful child from killing him when told no by dad (Paul).
I have a 7 year old son...so i am not totally removed from this. I would hope so but want to know what the word says.

2011/5/22 20:42Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re: Can Some one show me this in scripture

The Bible does not give an age of accountablity. I believe it is different for each child based upon light, understanding, and development. To say it is age 12 is presuming a lot. Especially considering some of the awful sin some 12 and under are committing.

2011/5/22 23:19Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Can Some one show me this in scripture

Dad,

As a grandmother I would encourage you to maintain a close relationship with your child. Speak to him much of the LORD but do not pressure him to make a commitment. Get him interested in the scriptures, its stories and doctrines.

I had a dad like this whom I attribute my desire for the LORD to his persistence is speaking of the Lord when "you are sitting down", "when you are walking by the way..."

Hope this helps.

BTW, I am not aware of any scripture that would indicate that the age of accountability is at 12 YO. It seems to me there is a very good reason to not know what the age is, one of them being that it will differ with children.

ginnyrose

2011/5/22 23:55Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

2 Samuel chapter 12:
18 On the seventh day the child died. David’s attendants were afraid to tell him that the child was dead, for they thought, “While the child was still living, he wouldn’t listen to us when we spoke to him. How can we now tell him the child is dead? He may do something desperate.”

19 David noticed that his attendants were whispering among themselves, and he realized the child was dead. “Is the child dead?” he asked.

“Yes,” they replied, “he is dead.”

20 Then David got up from the ground. After he had washed, put on lotions and changed his clothes, he went into the house of the LORD and worshiped. Then he went to his own house, and at his request they served him food, and he ate.

21 His attendants asked him, “Why are you acting this way? While the child was alive, you fasted and wept, but now that the child is dead, you get up and eat!”

22 He answered, “While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, ‘Who knows? The LORD may be gracious to me and let the child live.’ 23 But now that he is dead, why should I go on fasting? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.”

Notice that last part. David says, "I will go to him." This means that when David dies, he will go to where his dead son is, and we all know that David will go to "heaven" when he dies. This is probably where the doctrine comes from. Sorta tenuous, but fairly clear. The thing about age 12, is probably somebody's guess. If I had to guess, I would say that when a child has their bar-mitzvah he has reached the "age of accountability." I think bar-mitzvah happens on the child's 13th birthday.

2011/5/23 0:05Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

"When he (Jesus) was twelve years old, they went up according to the custom." -Luke 2:42

"After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions." -Luke 2:46

I have read that this is one reason some believe in the "Age of Accountability."

When it comes to these kinds of discussions, it is good to remember that arguing against a "concept" because it is not explicitly dictated in scripture is not a reason to denounce it. A perfect example is found in the word "Trinity."

2011/5/23 1:14Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Sometimes giving an age gives a rebellious child the thought of a license to sin. That is not right. The age 12 for the Jews (as I understand it) was an age of transitioning from childhood to becoming a man. I don't think it had anything to do with responsibility to God in the sense that they were not held accountable for spiritual rebellion against God.

2011/5/23 7:40Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy