SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Harold Camping: May 21st, The End of the World, and You

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Sonsigns,

I don't think too many Christians, if any, are being disturbed or deceived by Campings predictions. If anything many are probably growing in their knowledge of Christ because of the topic being brought up. 99.5% of Christians I know believe you can't know the hour or day. But many will open their Bibles in dig into it to find out what they believe. And as many have pointed out, this generates opportunity for discussion with the unsaved. Campings predictions are of course also creating chances for mischief by sinners. But where sin abounds, grace much more abounds.

Jimmy

2011/5/21 13:08Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

It was embaressing on the street today as I had someone insult me because of Harold Campings prediction like rob bells book it gives christians a bad witness

Matthew 7:15 KJV
Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Matthew 24:11 KJV
And many false prophets shall rise , and shall deceive many.

Matthew 24:24 KJV
For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Mark 13:22 KJV
For false Christs and false prophets shall rise , and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce , if it were possible, even the elect.

The bible does explain that many false prophets will arise and it promise that more will come! How do you explain to a Muslim that Harold Camping is wrong or an atheist or explain why rob bell is heretical?

2011/5/21 14:43Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

The bible does explain that many false prophets will arise and it promise that more will come! How do you explain to a Muslim that Harold Camping is wrong or an atheist or explain why rob bell is heretical?

Men who don't want to hear an explanation will not hear you no matter how much sense your explanation makes.

2011/5/21 16:31Profile
Veronica226

Montana

Re:

sonsigns said

Quote:
KingJimmy, I agree with your statement about Harold Camping. However, the problem stems from many Christians not knowing the word of God and not knowing the God of the word. Think about it many are deceived by false prophets and teachers, preachers etc, all because they do not read the bible. Jesus, warned us in his word that false prophets would lead many astray.

This.
It is so true that there are so many people who profess Christ and yet do not read the Bible for even 5 minutes a day.

2011/5/21 16:54Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: Harold Camping: May 21st, The End of the World, and You

Harold Camping has failed to predict the second coming of Christ but Christ has predicted that there will be men like Harold Camping falsely predicting his coming. He gives us a stern warning in

Mat 24:
23 “Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There!’ do not believe it. 24 For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you beforehand.
26 “Therefore if they say to you, ‘Look, He is in the desert!’ do not go out; or ‘Look, He is in the inner rooms!’ do not believe it. 27 For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 28 For wherever the carcass is, there the eagles will be gathered together.

I believe that there is yet more powerful deception to come and it will eclipse what the false revivals of the past 2 decades showed us.

I agree with Deltadom that it makes men weary when they hear us talking about the imminent return of Christ and the coming judgment of the sinners.

2011/5/21 18:18Profile

Re:

King Jimmy,

Besides the fact that Harold Camping routinely brings great shame to the name of Christ and the Gospel, what i have seen is how people are mocking and scorning the whole idea of any judgement day EVER coming. This is what stands out to me; that Americans are so proud and scornful that they don't believe a judgement day will EVER come, let alone the current day May 21st. Now that is what is scary.

Did you know that many employees of Family Radio (operated by Camping) didn't even believe his predictions and went on about their business as usual? That is sensible. But then there were others among his camp who went and sold their homes and quit their jobs to take "end of the world" vacations, because they figured that since the end of the world was coming that the way to spend their last days was to VACATION and have FUN. Not to spread the Gospel or pray but to have a big shabang! And they claim to be followers of Christ! This is the 2nd time Camping has gone and "announced" the end of the world, and each time people still blindly follow him. As a Holy Bible reading and praying follower of Christ I find the entire episode entirely disgusting, pathetic, and despicable. So pardon me if I don't really understand your earlier statement that we should take it as some sort of wake up call to us as Christians. Those of us who are ALREADY awake wouldn't need one.

2011/5/21 19:17

Re:

QUOTE: "Men who don't want to hear an explanation will not hear you no matter how much sense your explanation makes."

(someone please inform me how to capture a quote in my replies; i had to manually enter it;write it in here)

King Jimmy,

Right on. Well said, absolutely true. Those who love the Truth will hear the Truth, those who hate it will hate it.

2011/5/21 19:21
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

But then there were others among his camp who went and sold their homes and quit their jobs to take "end of the world" vacations, because they figured that since the end of the world was coming that the way to spend their last days was to VACATION and have FUN. Not to spread the Gospel or pray but to have a big shabang!

I've used this past week to routinely ask people what would they do if they somehow knew for a fact that the world was going to end tomorrow. Some people talked about living it up and doing something on their proverbial "bucket list." I liked what one pastor friend told me:

"Today I ran, mowed the grass, walked Cybil [his dog], talked a lot to Amanda [his wife], shopped and did sermon prep. I could go out on that."

Frankly, that is the most Biblical answer one could give. In other words he was saying he'd just continue to live his life the way he's been living it: faithful.

2011/5/21 22:38Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

what i have seen is how people are mocking and scorning the whole idea of any judgement day EVER coming. This is what stands out to me; that Americans are so proud and scornful that they don't believe a judgement day will EVER come, let alone the current day May 21st. Now that is what is scary.

A good observation. But, I'm not so sure if this is scary. It's just part of the blindness common to mankind. Man feels like the show will always go on, and that things will always continue to be as they have been. Lost humanity and sentimental Christians must believe that lie, because the truth is just too much for them. In the words of Jack Nicholson, "You can't handle the truth!" A day of judgment is just too much for man to seriously contemplate. It would crush his spirit. It doesn't help make his day any better, so, he pushes it out of the way.

But with all this said, the issue of false prophets is never about the false prophets themselves, and the failure of their predictions. It never has been, and never will be. According to Moses, God raises up false prophets to expose the conditions of our hearts, and show where we stand before Him. How we deal with and respond to false prophets is what God is interested in the most.

And it is my thesis that the Harold Campings of American Evangelicalism are but a symptom of a much deeper problem with the way we approach the Scriptures, and do theology. And while we are busy going after the speck in Campings' eye, we fail to notice the beam in our own. Many hypocritically attack him for this reproach and shame he has brought on the body of Christ, without realizing they aren't too far removed from doing the very same thing. Harold Camping is treated as a heretic because he openly declared a date about the rapture of the church. Yet American Evangelicals by in large hold to the bogus idea of a pre-tribulational rapture of the Church, and espouse the very system and ethos Harold Camping operates on... they just don't pinpoint dates. But every hiccup in the middle east is viewed as a sure sign that Jesus could come tomorrow.

So, instead of removing the speck from Harold Campings' eye, let us remove the beam from our own.

2011/5/21 22:59Profile
savannah

Re:

KJ,

What is your eschatological understanding?

I ask because you wrote,

"American Evangelicals by in large hold to the bogus idea of a pre-tribulational rapture of the Church, and espouse the very system and ethos Harold Camping operates on... they just don't pinpoint dates. But every hiccup in the middle east is viewed as a sure sign that Jesus could come tomorrow."

Also,does your eschatological understanding give any/much attention to the middle east,specifically the land of Israel and the ethnic Jewish people?

2011/5/21 23:12Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy