SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Harold Camping: May 21st, The End of the World, and You

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Harold Camping: May 21st, The End of the World, and You

In the last few weeks, a gross amount of attention has been given to a man by the name of Harold Camping. Harold, as we all probably know, has predicted that Jesus Christ will return to rapture His church tomorrow, on May 21st, 2011. Now normally, I don’t give this sort of stuff any attention. But I can’t help but notice the great amount of people who have. I guess there is nothing more important happening in this world right now, and it must just be a slow news cycle. Such claims of men who say they know when Jesus will return, as we all know from history, aren’t entirely unusual. Though of course, they are a bit odd and out of place considering that the Lord explicitly taught that no man knows the day or the hour of His return. Most Christians understand this very basic teaching, and aren’t in the slightest way moved by it.

Yet without fail, every few years somebody comes along who feels that through their diligent research and study of the Scriptures, or by means of some secret divine revelation, they have managed to figure out something that nobody else has figured out. They know the timing of Christ’s return! And to some degree, many of us laugh at it all. So much so that some people even throw end of the world parties. But tonight I’ve realized something about Harold Camping. Harold Camping is a paradigm of how many Evangelicals study the Scriptures. When you look at Harold Camping, instead of thinking you see some crazy old man and false teacher, realize that you just might be looking into a mirrored reflection of yourself.

We all have been influenced by some Bible teacher over the years who just seemed like he had an amazing grasp of the Scriptures. Every time such a teacher speaks, great mysteries and levels of understanding just seem to be unlocked, and we are blown away by his penetrating insights and discoveries. We highly esteem such individuals. So much so, we want to be like them. So we do what comes naturally, we do our best to try and imitate them. So we spend a lot of time reading the Scriptures, memorizing verses, and being extremely caught up in the world of theology and Biblical studies. We highlight every passage and look up ever single word in a dictionary.

But a problem occurs. Through our first few readings of the Scriptures, we find ourselves having a hard time understanding them. We discover we aren’t as insightful as our beloved Bible teacher after all. But not wanting to be ignorant, and always wanting to have some super deep spiritual insight to share with others, we attempt to look very hard to find some hidden gem. And when that is not enough, we begin to try and squeeze water out of rocks. Why? Because something of our pride is tickled, and we want to say we understand something great and awesome, and appear insightful to others. And because of such, we become poor Bible students. And instead of being blown away by the awesome work of what Jesus Christ accomplished on the cross and in His resurrection, we find ourselves caught up in lesser things.

Why do we do such? I’m convinced we do such because we are ultimately bored with Biblical Christianity and the faith once and for all handed down to the saints. Because we think the cross is so elementary, we move on to what we consider the real “deep things of God.” But in doing such, we’ve show ourselves to be deceived. For there is no greater mystery in all of the universe to understand than God crucified. And if you can ever get bored with this mystery, then it shows you’ve never really even begun to understand it. There is no nugget of truth greater or any insight more precious than what God did in Jesus Christ 2,000 years ago.

This isn’t to say we should neglect the study of eschatology– the doctrine of the last days. We should most certainly study these things. But my main point is this: if we can’t rightly understand the doctrines of the last days in light of what Christ did 2,000 years ago on the cross and in His resurrection from the dead, then we can’t honestly expect to understand anything at all. For in that place is found all insight and knowledge. And apart from a mastery understanding of what Christ did there, the rest of the Bible will be a very dark place. And it will be a very dark place for you, because like Harold Camping, you’ve became bored with the everlasting Gospel of Jesus Christ. And God doesn’t want you to understand the precious truths contained in the Scriptures apart from the truth found in Christ.

So, make fun of Harold Camping all you want. But consider that perhaps God has raised such a man up to serve as a mirror for you to gaze in. And be warned, that in making fun of Harold Camping, you are only making fun of yourself.

2011/5/20 22:59Profile
A-Run

India

Re: Harold Camping: May 21st, The End of the World, and You

Hi Jimmy

I have been thinking of all this for quite some time as well since I could not help but notice these things going around (even though I may not agree with Harold Camping etc...).

I am glad to see you write on this and it does make sound-logic for me atleast.

May be Harold is indeed a mirror/warning for many.

2011/5/20 23:24Profile

Re:

Oh how much i disagree! Shame on Harold Camping and his pride! Trying to pretend to be a prophet which he aint. Totally unbiblical and in defiance of scripture.

He brings shame on Christians, making us all look like bafoons and fools. My state is still reeling from a case last summer in which parents prayed for their child instead of taking said child to a doctor and the whole area has been shouting it's contempt and hatred of Christians because of it and now THIS. This will only fan the flames more. Like this will win any converts. All the nuts, fruits, and flakes of the spirit? I am disgusted.

2011/5/21 2:59
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I am not sure we disagree Cyan. There is great shame he is bringing to the cause of Christ for sure. But with that said, I think if many would look at him, they would see their own reflection.

2011/5/21 5:37Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

Just yesterday several of the unbelievers at work were talking about the Rapture that is supposed to take place according to Camping's prediction. First, they make the mistake of believing that all Christians believe Camping's prediction that the rapture will happen May 21. Next, they mocked and laughed to scorn the whole notion of the rapture and let it be known "good riddance". Then one of them is planning a "looting party" to grab the material possessions of the Christians once they're gone. It just breaks my heart. And to think that when May 22 comes around and the Christians will still be here, those unbelievers will gloat about how Christianity is baloney and they will be even more hardened in unbelief and blasphemy. Now I sorta know how Noah felt right before the great flood.

2011/5/21 9:21Profile

Re:

Either way, Maranatha!

OJ

2011/5/21 9:38
sonsigns

Brumley Missouri

KingJimmy, I agree with your statement about Harold Camping. However, the problem stems from many Christians not knowing the word of God and not knowing the God of the word.

Think about it many are deceived by false prophets and teachers, preachers etc, all because they do not read the bible. Jesus, warned us in his word that false prophets would lead many astray.

There are many false prophets among us and many of us are listening and believing in there word. Just look at the teachings of the prosperity preachers. Christlam movement, etc.

Read 2 Peter 1: 3- 21 and follow Jesus.

Our preaching should be Christ and him crucified.

2011/5/21 10:29Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Doomsday Prediction Misses 1st Deadline
6 pm passes in New Zealand without incident.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20110518/US.Apocalypse.Saturday_/

-----------------------------

I've never heard so many secular news sources talk about the "Second coming of Jesus Christ" before in my life!! Praise God for it! It's brought it to the forefront... this did NOT take God by surprise, He knew Harold Camping would come out with this and I belive He will use the way He wants too!

God bless,
Lisa

2011/5/21 10:29Profile

Re:

Quote:
I've never heard so many secular news sources talk about the "Second coming of Jesus Christ" before in my life!! Praise God for it! It's brought it to the forefront...

That is exactly it. The world is becoming more enthralled with the second coming of Christ than the church.

One way or another, He is coming again. It might be today, it might be tomorrow, it might be next week, it might even be next year, but the fact that He is coming again cannot be denied even by those who know Him not.

OJ

2011/5/21 10:53
cryinthenite

Re:

This end of the world thing has meny people talking.

What a great chance to share Christ with people!

O Lord raise up a people that bring glory to your name!

2011/5/21 11:46Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy