SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should I Teach VBS?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Should I Teach VBS?

The other day I was asked whether I would teach the youth girls at VBS. I did the past two years and thoroughly enjoyed it. And the organizers know it, hence the requests.

However, I am hesitating to commit myself to doing it. While I love teaching I am not sure I should this year. My reason? I do not feel the inspiration in my spirit. The opportunity is there to do it, the girls need the LORD and I love to share the WORD with any attentive student. I know if this is what the LORD is calling me to do, He will give me the grace, the inspiration to write my lessons.

Incidently, the idea to teach is not new - I have been thinking a long time about it and the subject that comes up deals with either the life of Jesus or Jesus' teachings, in particular the Sermon on the Mount. But the subject is so vast: how can one teach this in five lessons and do justice to it all?

I am praying about it and all I hear at the moment is silence except that I know the opportunity is here for me to do it. Given my nature I am usually willing to jump in and do what needs to be done. But I am maturing, wondering whether this is always wise.

Another stressful thing that occupies me at the moment is that my brother is going through a divorce/difficult time and I spend a lot of time on the phone with him. I feel stretched, but then, do I limit God?

Any body have an insight into this dilemma?

Thanks!

2011/5/20 17:47Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: Should I Teach VBS?

Just a few thoughts for what they are worth. My pastor used to say, 'pray about it and come back and tell me you will do it.' He was kidding and at the same time he was serious. What he meant was, we need to make ourselves available for the Lord's work, even when we don't necessarily want to or feel inspired. There is a balance in it all, but I think it is good advice. Secondly, I have found that inspiration does not always come in advance, but in the moment. God moves differently at different times to stretch us (so to speak). There have been times that I had a message prepared to go, but did not know for sure what God wanted me to speak until I stepped up into the pulpit. Finney used to say we need to be full of the subject and pray. I think it is good advice. Finally, you don't have to expound the whole of the sermon on the mount in 5 lessons. My approach is to lean on Christ in such a way that I am totally dependent on Him. I minister with a view to the people having a face to face with God though the word of God. I'm not trying to make them TH.D's or anything like that. My goal is edification and that means the Spirit has to be back of the words. If someone is built up through just a few things said- if they reach out to God in faith as He quickens some truth to their heart- it is well worth it all. We may not know this side of eternity the effects, but we can rest knowing that our labor is not in vain in the Lord. Just some thoughts. I trust that you will do well!

2011/5/20 18:05Profile
rbanks

Re:

1 Peter 4:10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
1 Peter 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Blessings to you sister in whatever you finally decide!

2011/5/20 18:14Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

One of the greatest problems with this effort is that so many will try to pack too much into what you agree is a very short period of time. Why? The flesh maybe? Not believing God will plant and cultivate a small field even before the seed does sprout. I love when you say the Lord will give me the grace and inspiration to write my own lessons. Do you realize how few depend upon the Lord to provide in this area. Why? Either they were never called and gifted by God for this position which places ones trust upon the Lord to provide or ..................well I honestly can't think of another reason. To teach from the Spirit we must depend upon the Spirit. I know there will be many who will not agree with this but any teacher worth their salt who does so will verify it. That is if it truly comes from the Spirit. Then who gets the praise for providing? How could anyone hold to anything but this?

My answer, if you are a teacher by God's gifting and not someone who just feels obligated, is to do what God has gifted you for. A teacher receives as much if not more than the student. I believe this because there is so much trust being placed upon the Lord to provide. Now I am repeating myself so I guess you have my take. Obviously the Lord is the better counsel

great heart ginnyrose! My mom was divorced 4 times. No need to tell you how much God hates it.

2011/5/20 18:33Profile
mguldner

Kansas

I am guessing you get the opportunity to make your own teaching plan for the 5 sessions. If this is the cast I would highly recommend focus your attention directly to the Beattitudes, to me it embodies the entire sermon and from it you can point to and draw from other parts of the Sermon on the Mount. I love the Sermon on the Mount and believe it is a wonderful teaching of everything Christ is and everything we are suppose to be. If only more people took the time to understand it and place it into practice.

2011/5/20 19:17Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Robert said:
Finney used to say we need to be full of the subject and pray. If someone is built up through just a few things said- if they reach out to God in faith as He quickens some truth to their heart- it is well worth it all. We may not know this side of eternity the effects, but we can rest knowing that our labor is not in vain in the Lord.

I understand

Quote:
Lyle wrote:
A teacher receives as much if not more than the student. I believe this because there is so much trust being placed upon the Lord to provide.

Perhaps this is the reason I enjoy teaching: I learn so much myself.

Quote:
Matthew wrote:
If this is the cast I would highly recommend focus your attention directly to the Beattitudes, to me it embodies the entire sermon and from it you can point to and draw from other parts of the Sermon on the Mount.

This statement gave me insight in how to proceed...

Quote:
Banks quoted 1Peter 4:11: If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;

I deeply appreciate the insights shared - believe it or not but it helped me tremendously. I posted my question with reluctance but felt compelled to do so and am pleasantly surprised how much you helped.

My lesson strategy, I think, will be to take a beatitude and then use a Bible story that will illustrate that point. And then I will have to write out questions that will stimulate discussion. Now this is beginning to sound exciting!

I am also considering sharing the story of "Pilgrims Progress" via flannel board. I have the figures and the story that was popular back in the 1950s. It ranks among my most prized possessions! But will see about this...

Now I can hardly wait to compile the lessons...God bless you all for sharing. And if the Holy Spirit prompts you, pray for these girls. Most come from single parent homes, very few have a resident dad.

If you want some suggestions what to pray for here are a few:
1. Attentiveness.
2. Have teachable spirit.
3. Boldness on my part - so I can teach as the oracles of God...
4. Or, whatever the Holy Spirit will lead you to pray.

The VBS starts June 6 and goes to the 10th.

God bless all of you for sharing...

2011/5/20 20:14Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Amen sister! Your teaching will have eternal results!

2011/5/20 21:45Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Re:

Good for you Ginny! Jesus said send the little children to me!
I always felt that if you are hanging out with the children, Jesus is close at hand.

I work with children and never want to stop!They are so free and open to Jesus.

Ruf

2011/5/21 6:21Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
I work with children and never want to stop!They are so free and open to Jesus.

Now, ain't that the truth! I love to work with children for the reasons you mentioned. But then after teaching teens I say I love that, too. The challenges are so much greater but not insurmountable. One really learns how dependent you are on the LORD to carry out this task. But that is OK. A body learns how frail, incapable you are without the empowerment of the Holy Spirit.

I am beginning to experience the joy of the LORD in preparing for this task!

Blessings.

2011/5/21 8:58Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

I think I agree with RobertW. We do not need to seek God as to whether to teach His word to others. Now if God told you specifically NOT to teach that particular class at that particular time, then you must know that God had a reason for it and obey, but default mode would be "yes". Recall Paul assaying to go to Bethinia and etc. but the Lord forbade him to do so. Paul's default was "yes, lets go".

2011/5/21 14:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy